HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 5:28 PM

With all the focus from the municipal and provincial governments on building out Surrey city centre, it certainly seems like the place for some awsome investment opportunities. Big move for the GVRD (now Metro Vancouver) to officially designate it BC's second Metro Centre, not even Burnaby could achieve that with its Metrotown development. Also interesting to see that 46% of all available industrial land in the lower mainland is in Surrey. In my employment role I'm aware that some very major international corporations are looking at Surrey City Centre as their becoming their home and some of these will have 800+ employees....interesting times ahead, but given the commitment and land availability its probably a vision that will turn to reality.

Last edited by PitBoss; Mar 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 2:41 AM

this was in yesterday's Surrey Now

This will be Surrey in 2075

It's an ambitious plan and if anyone can pull it off, Surrey's mayor can. But are families going to feel safe raising their children among all these high rises?

Beau Simpson, Surrey Now
Published: Friday, March 13, 2009

full article; http://www2.canada.com/surreynow/new...d-50be618864a0

An artist’s rendering shows what Surrey is projected to look like in 2075.
Photograph by : Bing Thom Architects/For the Now
http://www2.canada.com/surreynow/new...d-50be618864a0

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 3:33 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Nice rendering! Surrey has a solid vision. Good to see.

I'd have thought Surrey would look like that by 2030.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 3:40 AM

that story is such crap! i've lived in the core of surrey my whole life and i feel safe. heck alot safer then some other freakin place in lower mainland. Hell even my gf said she feels safer walking around surrey at night by herself then she does in delta or vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 3:47 AM

on another note it looks like there a lake beside the orginal central tower right were holland park is(also does anyone know whats going on there latley been to busy to check plus it cold and wet right now.)

also wheres are damn 70 story tower in that picture!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
that story is such crap! i've lived in the core of surrey my whole life and i feel safe. heck alot safer then some other freakin place in lower mainland. Hell even my gf said she feels safer walking around surrey at night by herself then she does in delta or vancouver.
The article expresses one view, you obviously have another, but that does not necessarily discredit the story. Depending on who you are you can feel safer in some areas than in others. I personally do not even feel safe in Abbotsford, but I am quite comfortable around Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:38 AM

yeah guess you do have a point there

in other news that i just came across
apparently surreys still number one place to invest into in bc
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...942/story.html
Quote:
Despite a recession, declining home prices and slowing real estate sales, there are still towns in British Columbia that have the fundamentals in place for future growth, according to a survey released Wednesday by a real estate investing network.

The survey, called Top B.C. Investment Towns, names Surrey as the best place to invest, based on its rapid growth, high renter population and easy access to transportation corridors.

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows takes the No. 2 spot. It is expected to be “the place to live for lifestyle” once TransLink and Gateway infrastructure projects are completed.

Abbotsford is in third place for its rapid growth and diversifying regional economy.

The survey is by the Real Estate Investment Network, a trademark-protected organization headed by real estate consultant Don Campbell.

The survey forecasts that the recession will last until mid-2010 and “will provide an excellent buying opportunity for property buyers who focus their research on the economic fundamentals of key regions of the province.”

In an interview, Campbell said he is taking a five-to-nine-year perspective in his look at the best regions in the province to buy real estate. The survey examines all major B.C. towns based on 12 factors — from economic development to demographics — and measures them against provincial averages.

“We try to identify regions that are going to have long-term stability, even during what we are going through right now; and where the short-term problems are,” Campbell said.

For the top three towns, “the big impact is going to be the Gateway Program,” he said.

The survey lists fundamentals considered key in each town in the top-10 list. For the top three, Surrey, Maple Ridge and Abbotsford, it is growth, transportation links and diversity.

The remaining seven are:

4. Kamloops: A vacation destination and transportation hub, Kamloops is attracting new business and industry. A decline in housing starts coupled with a low vacancy rate “will drive up demand for all types of properties in town.”

5. Dawson Creek and Fort St. John: Oil and gas exploration will have “dramatic effects” on the local economy. Dawson Creek’s fundamentals are its proximity to Alberta and natural gas resources. In Fort St. John, oil and gas will drive growth as long as prices remain profitable. However, energy price cycles will put pressure on housing, calling for an understanding of smaller markets and energy demand cycles.

6. Kelowna: Serving a trading area of 450,000 people, Kelowna is attracting business and recreation investment. Despite a slower real estate market, rental revenues are high, providing opportunities for investors.

7. Comox Valley: An armed forces base provides economic stability and an airport providing service to Calgary and Edmonton is attracting buyers who choose the region for its lifestyle. The slow real estate market means cash flow will be difficult to achieve, so choosing the right property counts.

8. Penticton: Tourism and agriculture are expected to continue growing. Strong population growth will drive demand for both rentals and home purchases.

9. Vancouver: The Olympics will increase the city’s business profile. The focus for investors should be on cash flow; speculators may wait a long time for prices to go up.

10. Prince George: Its diversity makes it better suited to weather the economic storm in the forest industry. Rail links through Prince Rupert to the Pacific ensure future growth.

Campbell said he is not advising investors try to buy at the bottom of the market; it’s too difficult to predict. Further, he said other factors, such as interest rates, need to be taken into account. As prices bottom out and start up, interest rates are also likely to go up, making monthly payments higher.

The validity of such surveys depends heavily on the different expectations people have about what is going to happen to the economy as a whole, said Tsur Somerville, director of the centre for urban economics and real estate at the University of B.C.’s Sauder School of Business.

He also said that small markets are not as liquid an investment as larger markets and can be more volatile.

“It’s not necessarily going to be the best thing for everybody and that’s a separate question from whether now is the best time to buy.”

“When you are investing in these towns you are investing in their future and in their growth,” he said.

According to its website, the Real Estate Investment Network is an exclusive membership program “dedicated to educating its members about how, where and when to buy Canadian real estate.”

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 5:03 AM

Definitely not a surprise there. I'm excited to see where Surrey is going. Not so sure it'll take until 2075 to look like that rendering posted earlier.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 8:54 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
My initial impression as well. It'll probably be even more impressive than that rendering by 2030. It should have a few taller towers than what's shown at least.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 5:16 PM

Everything about crime in that article sounds like anecdotal evidence. "I talked to three parents who said they fear for their lives in Surrey! That means Surrey is a dangerous place to live!"

And I wonder what the basis was for that rendering....did they just plop down some towers in Sketchup or is it based on proposals that have been received that run up to 2075 (highly unlikely, I think). Or maybe educated guesses on how things will turn out

Last edited by g35; Mar 16, 2009 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 7:45 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35 View Post
Everything about crime in that article sounds like useless anecdotal evidence. "I talked to three parents who said they fear for their lives in Surrey! That means Surrey is a dangerous place to live!"

And I wonder what the basis was for that rendering....did they just plop down some towers in Sketchup or is it based on proposals that have been received that run up to 2075 (highly unlikely, I think). Or maybe educated guesses on how things will turn out
This is like how when people in the 1940s tried to predict what the magical 21st century would look like. It's pointless to try to look that far ahead.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
on another note it looks like there a lake beside the orginal central tower right were holland park is(also does anyone know whats going on there latley been to busy to check plus it cold and wet right now.)

also wheres are damn 70 story tower in that picture!
It seems that Bing Thom, who is designing the new city centre, has identified several old lakes that could still exist given the aqua system still in place that used to feed them. His plan is to regenerate these lakes in the new city centre build-out. That certainly is a highly commendable move and I'd love to see it happen.

I often walk around what used to be called Whalley at night and have done for years, I feel perfectly safe. Both my daughters are shortly moving into the Agenda development in Urban Village and I have no problem at all with that. They are flight attendants and so are several of their friends who are also moving in and none of them have any problems, so maybe the "Whalley" tag is not the same now as it used to be. Lots of their friends, girls in their 20's, from SFU Surrey see no problems either. Best test ground on the planet, 20-year old females. If they don't feel threatened, who the heck can.

I see that there are moves afoot to start the city core build-out shortly, so with Mayor Watts at the helm I think we're going to see some positive things happeneing. Hope so because as a long term Surrey resident I believe this city has a huge future.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 7:42 AM

I already new about the lake part i was just trying to point out the lake like area in the picture

and yeah i completely agree with you i about feeling safe about walking around surrey at night
heck before i had my current job i use to run through holland park and past central around 11pm at night once and a while and not once did i ever feel unsafe

and Watts is the perfect mayor to make surrey go from suburb to metro
I dont think we could have picked a better mayor

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 9:28 AM

i've never felt unsafe in whalley

the people might wear EXCO instead of ECKO - lol and look a little scarey but thats all

same with east hastings I never feel scared or feel harrassed the same way I do walking down davie or even robson - the street kids are much more aggressive than the strung out people on east hastings

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 9:43 AM

okay little to lazy to do it tonight but there is and ad for the urban village in the leader from Friday it shows a the model of central tower 2 and the plaza plus its a big clear picture

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 7:48 AM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 8:33 AM

thanks makes life easier for me you doing it that way lol

also i gotta say makes it look like the tower beside central is there building lol

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 5:02 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Nice rendering! Surrey has a solid vision. Good to see.

It will. There is nothing currently planned to be built during the 2030-2075 period.

Seriously, though... that rendering is sooo... bs. WHERE'S THE FLYING CARS!!!

Last edited by twoNeurons; Mar 23, 2009 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 7:08 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ Ha....Can't wait to compare this rendering with reality in 2075....

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 7:40 PM

yeah are grand kids will probably laugh at that render cause its will be pathetic cause it doesnt have any really huge towers like what will be around surrey by then=P

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley