HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Where?
522 Fader Street

Quote:
Also, are the industrial parcels south of Braid also slated for development?
Not that I've seen.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
522 Fader Street

Not that I've seen.
That is one small school.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 11:42 PM

If anyone here is interested, there is an updated presentation on Sapperton Green that is going to New Westminster's advisory Planning Committee on September 21st. The presentation can be found at https://www.newwestcity.ca/database/...21_2021(1).pdf. Perhaps someone with a bit more motivation will upload a few screen grabs of the most interesting pieces. Interestingly, the artistic drawings show a completely different Highway 1 interchange configuration that is further away from Sapperton Green. I have no idea if that is just wishful thinking or based on actual MOTI plans.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvug View Post
If anyone here is interested, there is an updated presentation on Sapperton Green that is going to New Westminster's advisory Planning Committee on September 21st. The presentation can be found at https://www.newwestcity.ca/database/...21_2021(1).pdf. Perhaps someone with a bit more motivation will upload a few screen grabs of the most interesting pieces. Interestingly, the artistic drawings show a completely different Highway 1 interchange configuration that is further away from Sapperton Green. I have no idea if that is just wishful thinking or based on actual MOTI plans.
What's different? There are railroad tracks that might be confused for roads but everything looks the same.

I guess back in 2016/2017 was the last consultation for changes to Brunette?

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/govtogether...hange-results/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvug View Post
Thanks!

Here are the screen captures:

https://www.newwestcity.ca/database/...21_2021(1).pdf

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 1:15 AM

Yeah, these look like what has been shown before. Good to see that this project is still moving!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
What's different? There are railroad tracks that might be confused for roads but everything looks the same.

I guess back in 2016/2017 was the last consultation for changes to Brunette?

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/govtogether...hange-results/
I think you're right. Originally when I saw the overpass it looked off to me, like it was orientated further away from the development. Looking at Google Maps I see that the illustration is roughly accurate and it was the orientation that was throwing me off.

This whole area will be interesting to watch over the longer term with the Brunette Interchange project and Coquitlam rezoning for significant residential density up the road (something that I think is poor planning, even if I get Coquitlam's motivation). Should the road infrastructure be improved I'd imagine development pressure on all of the industrial land that is supremely well located beside the freeway, Skytrain and river. I could see something similar to what was proposed recently at Marine Gateway: allow for intensification as long as "industrial" capacity is increased in the process.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 2:20 AM

Is this project even possible with Amazon's warehouse there?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Is this project even possible with Amazon's warehouse there?
I think it's just a temporary warehouse until they start redevelopment.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 8:37 AM
perhaps . . .

not to mention: leases (Amazon is big, but not special) don't prevent future developments; and big developments like this are vetted all along by the City and the property owners/developers and their legal representatives (even though they still have to proceed step by step through all the stages of permitting) so this thing is way passed the land assembly/property acquisition and ownership phase.

It would be incredibly stupid for any entity to proceed as this one has, as far as it has, and not know that a central piece of property is owned by someone else (Amazon) and their plans were just fictions floating in their heads.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:02 AM

Look at all those boxy mechanical penthouses on the top of those buildings. Every single building. Why can’t we come up with designs that hide those hideous things?? It’s 2021 and almost EVERY single new condo development in the lower mainland has them.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
Look at all those boxy mechanical penthouses on the top of those buildings. Every single building. Why can’t we come up with designs that hide those hideous things?? It’s 2021 and almost EVERY single new condo development in the lower mainland has them.
You mean the things that house the elevator mechanics and engine room that you use to get up and down the building as well as the building's mechanical (venting and plumbing) systems that allow you to have....I don't know....fresh air and clean water?

Those ones?

Why would any building need those?

More importantly, why would anyone be whining about something that 99.9% of us can't see from street level?

But to be serious, the simple answer to your question is that the way to "hide" them in the way that might satisfy you (like adding another level or two of curtain wall system and another concrete pour at the top) would be expensive and make those already expensive units even more expensive.

And oh yeah,....and it's wasteful and inefficient.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 7:51 AM
perhaps . . .

Apologies Spr0ckets but that was quite the over reaction. I also think your answer falls short. "Too expensive, wasteful and inefficient" is all off the mark. Many many of our towers 'hide' the mechanical box within the design envelope. Its been typical for 30-40 years. There has even been municipal legislation requiring 'unique' roof line forms in the past. Yes, it costs money, but no more than many other typical elements.

Regardless, the real answer to Repthe250 is that the boxes are less than fictions. There is no design intent behind them. The boxes are just place holders symbolizing towers. It is likely they were added consciously to make the plan more readable. If you erased them it would be difficult to easily see what is intended.

These drawings are not design drawings but developmental drawings in the process to define the nature of the whole project; part of the process to get a handle on the density, massing, spacing, and layout. While the design of the street and public realm is critical to this and look fairly defined, it too may change significantly.

Once approvals come and the project proceeds is when the actual design of individual buildings happens. For big projects like this, only a portion of the whole will be realized as a beginning phase. It will be designed as you would expect. Further phases are designed in order of construction and may or may not continue the design character of the first. (See Southgate City to see this hapening right now, or Brentwood, Laugheed, etc. for projects further along.)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Apologies Spr0ckets but that was quite the over reaction. I also think your answer falls short. "Too expensive, wasteful and inefficient" is all off the mark. Many many of our towers 'hide' the mechanical box within the design envelope. Its been typical for 30-40 years. There has even been municipal legislation requiring 'unique' roof line forms in the past. Yes, it costs money, but no more than many other typical elements.

Regardless, the real answer to Repthe250 is that the boxes are less than fictions. There is no design intent behind them. The boxes are just place holders symbolizing towers. It is likely they were added consciously to make the plan more readable. If you erased them it would be difficult to easily see what is intended.

These drawings are not design drawings but developmental drawings in the process to define the nature of the whole project; part of the process to get a handle on the density, massing, spacing, and layout. While the design of the street and public realm is critical to this and look fairly defined, it too may change significantly.

Once approvals come and the project proceeds is when the actual design of individual buildings happens. For big projects like this, only a portion of the whole will be realized as a beginning phase. It will be designed as you would expect. Further phases are designed in order of construction and may or may not continue the design character of the first. (See Southgate City to see this hapening right now, or Brentwood, Laugheed, etc. for projects further along.)

Agree to disagree.

I stand by my original point that it is prohibitively more expensive to do it that way (extend the curtail wall the full height of the mechanical level story or an extra storey beyond that) than what is typcially the standard norm which is stepping back to the mechanical/elevetor overrun envelop and enclosing that with a standard wall system.
So much so that most developers opt NOT to go that route and spend on a part of the building or project that's not even going to be seen by most.

Most developers are seeking to save costs and this would be one of the areas you would indeed cut costs - unless you're housing a rooftop level amenities or designing a s[ecial feature rooftop crown element or something like that.

Sure it's done in some projects - typically office and commercial towers where their budget is already greater anyway- but in residential projects such as these that aren't exactly high-end, then the expecation would be for them to NOT do so rather than to, especially if they're not compelled by municipal legislation.

As for the second part of your response, I'm not really sure what point you were making, since Repthe250's question had more to do with why they exist at all in the first place (from a design perspective) or why they have to be so conspicuous rather than whether it was a question of readability in the drawings or representational norms in diagrammatics.

Yes, I realize this is a conceptual massing (with placeholder forms) for the urban master plan concept and therefore not a design drawing or document, but I hardly suspect that that's where his query was focused.
Whatever gets built after design development and construction is going to have mechanical penthouse and elevator overrun protrusions or levels in one form or another.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
You mean the things that house the elevator mechanics and engine room that you use to get up and down the building as well as the building's mechanical (venting and plumbing) systems that allow you to have....I don't know....fresh air and clean water?

Those ones?

Why would any building need those?

More importantly, why would anyone be whining about something that 99.9% of us can't see from street level?

But to be serious, the simple answer to your question is that the way to "hide" them in the way that might satisfy you (like adding another level or two of curtain wall system and another concrete pour at the top) would be expensive and make those already expensive units even more expensive.

And oh yeah,....and it's wasteful and inefficient.
I’m sorry, did my original comment somehow personally offend you? I apologize if it did. Don’t take things so personal.

I understand what the mechanical penthouse is for. I did call it a mechanical penthouse and not a square boxy-looking-thingamajig on top of a tower.
Not every tower has those, and some that do find a way to hide it or incorporate it into the design. Not just plop a box on top of the tower and call it a day. In New Westminster, every “tower” has visible mechanical penthouses and they just look ugly, bland, and stick out like a sore thumb. If they were lit up at night it would kind of disguise itself as a crown but alas, they do not.

I like this site for a reason, because as a skyscraper enthusiast and hopefully one day architect, I can discuss little things like this that annoy me with other likeminded individuals - hopefully without being barked at and insulted by little punks like spr0ckets. But everyone is entitled to their “opinion”

Last edited by Repthe250; Sep 21, 2021 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post

You’re absolutely right, they are placeholders for future designs. But having lived in downtown new westminster with a view of the skyline, I sat on my balcony one night and looked at every building and noticed they all had the visible, boxy mechanical penthouse. So I just imagined that these would follow suit

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:51 AM

For example, Georgetown in Surrey’s mechanical penthouse is hidden by a white crown. It doesn’t seem too inefficient or wasteful. It actually complements the design nicely with little effort.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:22 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
I’m sorry, did my original comment somehow personally offend you? I apologize if it did. Don’t take things so personal.

. . . hopefully without being barked at and insulted by little punks like spr0ckets. But everyone is entitled to their “opinion”
What can one say. Spr0ckets' a little aggressive and while not completely wrong on everything, not right on a lot as well. What bugs me is opinion expressed as certain knowledge when its not. He also seems to think he knows what you are saying more than you do. Ignore. There is experience and knowledge available on this forum. As for architecture/architect/architectural education questions, I'll answer you anytime.

Last edited by Marshal; Sep 21, 2021 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 7:20 PM

September 2022 update from the city.

Quote:
The applicant for this project is currently working on addressing comments received through the application review process. Once these comments have been addressed, the next step for this application is likely an update report to Council.
This project page has been temporarily archived and will be re-activated when the City-led consultation is scheduled to begin.
https://www.beheardnewwest.ca/97-braid-street

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 1:43 AM

A bit old and across the street:

100 Braid

Wesgroup twitter Nov 22, 2022.

We have made great progress at our purpose-built rental building in New Westminster.
Rising at 34 floors, 100 Braid will be comprised of studios, 1 to 3 bedrooms and townhomes with robust
amenities and a retail space that will be designated for an art gallery.

https://twitter.com/wesgroup

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley