HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:36 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
This is amazing! Burnaby is in all out beast mode! Solo, station square and now Brentwood? Vancouver needs to get its poo together.
I agree, eyes are all on Burnaby right now. These are the three current Metro Vancouver developments that have me the most excited right now.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:23 PM

Would love to watch the video, but does not seem to work on safari or firefox on my macs. That is pretty annoying, talk about limiting your audience.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:33 PM

Overall I like it, but why there have to be streets for cars? Why can't they make the street level completely pedestrian-only?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
It's so much more ambitious than anything being done in Vancouver. It makes you think of what might have been possible around BC Place, Rogers Arena and the Plaza of Nations (you know, the so-called "entertainment zone" which the city has been racing to suffocate with residential-centric development).
So sad (for Vancouver), yet so true. Vancouver could really take a page of this, but the all high and mighty attitude might give them (politicians and planners) a condescending attitude if asked about this project.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Would love to watch the video, but does not seem to work on safari or firefox on my macs. That is pretty annoying, talk about limiting your audience.
I couldn't get it to work in Chrome on Windows either. Someone uploaded it to YouTube though:

Video Link

Retail possession spring 2016.. I assume that is for the first phase? IIRC they're looking to start construction (or at least excavation) in spring 2013.

What do you guys think about the interface between the skytrain station and the plaza shown in the video? I'm not a huge fan of it, though they will have to keep something on street level as well at a minimum for elevator access.

Last edited by GeeCee; Oct 22, 2012 at 4:23 AM. Reason: swapped youtube video for the official shape one

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:45 PM

Thanks man!

Wow! All I can say is Wow! Connected directly to mass transit, use of underground and above ground layers, street front retail, what I think I saw of a couple video screens near the primary retail spaces, and incredibly tall towers....this is my type of urban development!

Burnaby is just going crazy. It will be the premier suburb in Canada (when considering it will have 4 major city cores).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:13 PM

This is an amazing proposal. The internal layout is great - I wonder how it will interact with Willingdon and Lougheed. I'd hate to see the ground floor retail turn their backs on it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 8:12 PM

no comment

starting in spring 2013....will this be done by 2075?

Last edited by vansky; Oct 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:05 PM

Thanks for posting! (the converted version looks like an earthquake simulation)

Anyone else see the "anchor tenant" on parking level 4 and the "anchor tenant" on parking level 2?
One of those will probably be where the Target will be located.

The video also answers the question of whether the existing mall will be fully demolished or not (not, it seems as the roof is still shown)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:44 PM

All I can say is wow. This will be interesting phase one for Shape's long term burnaby plan. Next phase will be lougheed and I believe it will be on the same scale of size.

I hope there will be theaters etc as tenants. North Burnaby lacks that.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:11 AM

Shape has stated that they're going to try to get a theater in for the first phase. I'm not sure if it'll be Cineplex, though, given that they have one at Metrotown that is fairly close.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:06 AM

This looks amazing.

The only thing I'd like to see added is some sort of glass/fabric roof over the plaza so that it can be used year round.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 8:34 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
The only thing I'd like to see added is some sort of glass/fabric roof over the plaza so that it can be used year round.
Yeah, something like this

presidiopenthouse.com

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Overall I like it, but why there have to be streets for cars? Why can't they make the street level completely pedestrian-only?
Probably because their primary selling point seems to be Lougheed highway's traffic numbers and proximity to the #1, with skytrain being more of a secondary selling point. Personally I have no issue with the streets and prefer vehicle access, so long as pedestrians are the primary focus and accomodated on the surface streets. Cars should be accomodated and the primary focus bellow in the underground parkades to which they should have access directly from the main arterial roads. imo

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
All I can say is wow. This will be interesting phase one for Shape's long term burnaby plan. Next phase will be lougheed and I believe it will be on the same scale of size.

I hope there will be theaters etc as tenants. North Burnaby lacks that.
Yes, according to Shape Lougheed mall will end up with 3,500+ new residential units (so thats about 7-8,000 residents I guess?) and over 1,000,000sf of commercial space after redevelopment. Currently there is just 600,000sf of commercial space. Looking at their concept diagram on their Lougheed redevelopment brochure link there could be 12 towers.
http://www.shapeproperties.com/sites...12,%202012.pdf

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 9:31 AM

Wonder if this will make Brentwood trendy to live in when its all complete. Then again when thisis done ill be old.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Yes, according to Shape Lougheed mall will end up with 3,500+ new residential units (so thats about 7-8,000 residents I guess?) and over 1,000,000sf of commercial space after redevelopment. Currently there is just 600,000sf of commercial space. Looking at their concept diagram on their Lougheed redevelopment brochure link there could be 12 towers.
http://www.shapeproperties.com/sites...12,%202012.pdf
According to previous news articles, they are capped at 11 residential towers. There will also be two office buildings, though there is no cap mentioned for additional office buildings.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 3:54 PM

Nice looking proposal. I hope more mall land elsewhere in the region is developed this way. You have Coquitlam Center which is densifying and you would then have Brentwood.

Metrotown could use more densifying imo for the location and size (get rid of all surface parking, build high rises there) and once and for all I think Surrey needs to densify faster Surrey Central and Guildford Malls. There's no reason to have the expansive malls with massive surface parking these days. Buck up and densify these centers. Leave the surface parking to Langley and Abbotsford as those are now becoming the suburbs of the region.

Would love to see this done and I agree it would make an impressive entrance. It is already impressive driving on Hwy 1 West and coming around the corner seeing the Brentwood area.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 4:44 PM

I just hope they do things right with the underground parking lot. Not sure how they are going to build it with a building preexisting. Don't want a repeat of what happened with the Station Sq. parking lot 30 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 7:49 PM

The underground parking footprint looks to be only adjacent to the existing mall (i.e. not underneath the existing mall)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley