HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 2:57 PM

^ Is it really that bad? I'd say it's an improvement over the current semi-abandoned look that the Park currently sports.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Is it really that bad? I'd say it's an improvement over the current semi-abandoned look that the Park currently sports.
In my view, yes. Exterior wood siding doesn't exactly stand the test of time, especially when it's been splashed by traffic year round... digital signs are tacky... ground floor windows should be kept, not covered over... there's no real integrity or pattern in the overall facade design... it's disappointing to see iconic old signs disappear rather than be enhanced.

It is possible to renovate decrepit old commercial exteriors *and* make them look good. Not just compared to their previous sorry state, but in their own right. (Yafa Cafe in St. James, Oxbow up Osborne, or the Cheesemongers at Corydon and Lilac are examples that come to mind).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:32 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
It looks like a cheesy version of a saloon from dodge city rather than a character theatre on south Osborne. It isnt exactly in keeping with the local aesthetic. It's an update alright, but not a very positive one. Can't believe it was approved
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:42 PM

^ Looks to me like they're going for Scandinavian-on-a-budget and not (thankfully) some super cheesy old west theme.

i.e., this is the inspiration

and not this

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 5:07 PM
the first stamp is free

Park Theatre owner: "I want you to help me design and update the front of my building for my new fancy sign"

Architect: "what's your budget?"

Park Theatre owner: "I can afford the sign."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 5:34 PM

^^^ "and can we integrate these wooden pallets from my garage? I got an idea off Pinterest."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 6:05 PM
Ignore these four words.

..."and for the Grand Re-opening I want to show the horror classic The Evil Dead."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 6:31 PM
There is always a way

I want brick! Oh well...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 7:03 PM
BANNED

yikes...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 7:57 PM

The design does not suit the purpose of the building. Scandinavian design is minimalist and functional in nature and inspires confidence in cleanliness and efficiency. While, depending on site and surroundings, it may be suitable for more institutional purposes, such as a medical clinic, a daycare or a credit union, it is not suitable for a theatre which should suggest ambience and comfort.

The most unsympathetic aspect of the exterior, the aluminum entrance, will remain unchanged and is no more compatible with the new design than it is with the old. It would have been preferable to have repainted the building, replaced the entrance and uncovered the windows.

Without specific knowledge, I'm thinking that it must be more and more difficult to obtain the letters for a marquee sign and to find people who maintain and repair them. So if that is the impetus to install the new sign then I don't see why it can't look good as long as it's not garishly bright.

It looks like what it is, a poorly thought out redesign without consideration for purpose and surroundings, without any imagination and without respect for a community landmark.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 11:42 PM

Did a quick search and Marquee Letters are available online from companies in the US as well as the sequencer to flash the light bulbs in the theater name.

I'm sure the Neon Factory boys would take that project on if they were hired to do it as they seem to specialize in sign restorations. If not I am sure one of the other sign companies in Winnipeg could do it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 2:20 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't think obtaining a marquee letter sign is an issue at all. I thing the price is the issue here. Any decent sign company should be able to provide this to a customer.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't think obtaining a marquee letter sign is an issue at all. I thing the price is the issue here. Any decent sign company should be able to provide this to a customer.
Without a doubt price is the issue. I don't know how it's been going lately, but I recall a few years ago hearing that the Park was run on an absolute shoestring. Just the fact that this facelift is actually happening is a minor miracle.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:40 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Without a doubt price is the issue. I don't know how it's been going lately, but I recall a few years ago hearing that the Park was run on an absolute shoestring. Just the fact that this facelift is actually happening is a minor miracle.
I've played the park a few times and I kinda liked the grunginess. Most of the inside is quite nice but the facade has a certain je ne sais quoi to it

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Looks like crap. They want to bring it out to get more business. Then restore it.not make it look like a fkn Ikea. Now when you drive by you don't even realize there once was a really cool old theater there you just see some modern looking crate.
They must own the little office building across the street or that's where they got their inspiration from to modernize it.

Shit my grandmother and mom all went to the Park theater way back when it was built. This will look so out of place now.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:36 PM

I actually like the new facade design! Wood aesthetic is very "in" these days I feel.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 6:04 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Did Meilleur return to the Osborne BIZ after the election?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 6:28 PM

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 6:54 PM

^Is that real wood or some type of panel? Also, nice motorhome!

I like the look of real wood exteriors. But on some of the recent residential projects, it looks like trash after a couple years. When new, it looks great. After turning grey, not so much.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Yep, looks good. Now imagine that house with only one plane (eg, no projections), no windows, and a width of 45 feet.

Anyway, I think whether it's a durable exterior siding or a delicate one, it's going to take a beating from water, dirt, and snow, particularly lower to the ground, and will thereby require regular maintenance. Look at the painted stucco close to the ground on the existing facade. That paint job is maybe 5-10 years old, and was peeling and fading away by 2017.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan