HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:44 AM

Key updates from the Burnaby thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I'll add those images to this thread:

https://www.vanpeople.com/c/2507241.html
Tallest is 220.4m, a new tallest for BC. Second tallest is 161.5m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
The tallest Concord Metrotown tower will be over 700 feet.

First picture credits: Instagram @soldbychong
Second: Instagram @concordpacific_constance

https://www.concordmetrotown.com/

Thread title should be updated to Concord Metrotown as that is the official name, rather than Sears.

(I promise I'm not affiliated with this project lol)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:33 AM

BC's new tallest is just bland, mundane, vertical suburbia...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:45 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure how any of this will "redefine live-work-play". The live part is accurate, but most people will work and play somewhere else.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:30 AM

Hard to say anything until you see the details of their amenity podium levels.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
BC's new tallest is just bland, mundane, vertical suburbia...
Is it all residential? At least it finally breaks or should I say smashes the 200m for BC something that Vancouver could never do. It won't be long until Surrey, Coquitlam, and New West do the same.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Hard to say anything until you see the details of their amenity podium levels.
But everyone knows its so much more fun to make conclusive snap judgments and assessments based on nothing more than scant information from low resolution images showing hardly anything, from the internet.

/s

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:03 PM

This thing will be prominent unlike anything. Short of building on top of SFU, you cant place a tower topographically higher than Metrotown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:48 PM

Yeah, it will be visible from afar. I hope the top will have a lighting feature.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure how any of this will "redefine live-work-play". The live part is accurate, but most people will work and play somewhere else.
I agree... I would like to have a chat with developer marketing teams across the region about what it actually means to "re-define" something... Because it's more than just a buzz-word and it's becoming tacky real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
Is it all residential? At least it finally breaks or should I say smashes the 200m for BC something that Vancouver could never do. It won't be long until Surrey, Coquitlam, and New West do the same.
Never say never because the Broadway subway and Senakw are happening (and who knows what will happen after those changes are operating). BUT the other metro regions are certainly using this time to shine . After all, downtown Vancouver is STILL the employment centre of the metro region and that won't be changing anytime soon unless a municipality suddenly decides to start subsidizing office and employment spaces/construction to compete with downtown Vancity. If anything, Surrey might be able to do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
But everyone knows its so much more fun to make conclusive snap judgments and assessments based on nothing more than scant information from low resolution images showing hardly anything, from the internet.
I can't say that I'm not guilty of this.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post

/s
The history of how these towers are built gives a pretty good picture of how it will end up looking.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The history of how these towers are built gives a pretty good picture of how it will end up looking.

Which towers?
"Towers" in general ?

Or do you mean these towers that (LITERALLY) haven't been built yet, and in all likelihood haven't even had their designs completed yet?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:15 PM

Copied from the Burnaby thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Well looking harder comes up with something more interesting. As Burnaby doesn't like hotlinking I'll say to go to their website and do a search for 'Sears Metrotown' - the third result I found is "Rezoning Reference 18-27 Initial Report 2019.pdf" dated Oct 23 2019. From the pdf:

Quote:
Applicant: Ivanhoe Cambridge
Address: 4700 and 4800 Kingsway and a portion of 4750 Kingsway

Rezoning Reference #13-07 received Third Reading on 2019 May 22 to establish a Conceptual Master Plan, Design Guidelines and a detailed first phase of development for the former Sears site. Phase one of the Sears Master Plan will be developed in accordance with Rezoning Reference #13-07, however all subsequent phases of the Sears Masterplan, which are situated on the westerly 2.37 ha (5.9 acres) portion of the former Sears site, are proposed to be included in the subject rezoning application in order to facilitate better integration and connections between the Metropolis site and the former Sears site. When the Metropolis Master Plan receives Final Adoption, the Sears Master Plan, with the exception of Phase 1, will be superseded.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:32 AM

they added some videos

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 2:00 PM

What are they thinking? No one is buying a condo because of some gimmicky tree in a glass egg. The Brentwood towers were already bland enough, now this... yikes.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
What are they thinking? No one is buying a condo because of some gimmicky tree in a glass egg. The Brentwood towers were already bland enough, now this... yikes.
Agree. They keep focusing on that eggshell as if it's a main center piece for the region, before they pan out on what would be the tallest tower in BC (as if that was no big deal). There (marketing team) priorities are in the wrong place.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 10:52 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I agree... I would like to have a chat with developer marketing teams across the region about what it actually means to "re-define" something... Because it's more than just a buzz-word and it's becoming tacky real quick.
Well given that all your disposable income will be going towards paying the mortgage plus strata fees needed to support ridiculous amenities nobody wants or needs and what will undoubtedly be super high condo insurance it might indeed redefine the term "work-live-play"

Whoever buys here may want to read up on the case of nearby Sovereign and its strata issues with amenities.

However, I am sure they will have no problem selling. It never ceases to amaze me how many people would buy a house, condo or a car they really cannot afford just to say they have it.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 12:26 AM

More egg-shaped greenhouses at Broadway & Commercial.
Thise one looks more like 'Amazon spheres-lite'.

https://youtu.be/pg_4fCN9aLw

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 5:06 AM

New photos

Got a sponsored FB post with some more info about this and some floorplans, thought I'd share:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 7:29 AM

Thanks!
Those show that the towers are not as cylindrical as suggested by early renderings.
Looks like they'll all have wraparound balconies.

3 elevators for 45 storeys seems low.

The tallest one appears to have 6 elevators according to the podium plan.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 8:01 PM

Thank you for sharing. Even the central tower at being 45 storeys is higher than the render protrays. It looks like it will be released first. Too bad the grand tower (the tallest of Phase 1) is put off to a future phase.

Also interesting is the outdoor space being considered solarium as well. I think most people rather have a solarium in MetroVancouver than a balcony that condo occupants reasonably rarely use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley