HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:10 AM

From GBL -

New Capstan Development Approved By DP Panel
Sept 17, 2018

A newly proposed master-planned community in the heart of the Capstan Village neighbourhood in Richmond has received unanimous support from DP Panel. The development will comprise of over 500 new residential units, 50,000sf of new commercial space and a non-profit Arts Facility. The community will connect to a newly planned neighbourhood park, and contribute to the future Capstan Canada Line Station.
http://www.gblarchitects.com/new-cap...d-by-dp-panel/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:23 PM

Where foreign buying was highest, the crash will hit the hardest:

The number of new homes being built in Richmond is on the rise, while the number of existing ones being sold is declining.

Construction started on 1,413 new houses, townhouses and apartment units in the first six months of 2018, according to a quarterly report from Business in Richmond. That’s 60 per cent more homes starting the building process than in the same time period last year....(bold mine)

https://www.richmond-news.com/real-e...ond-1.23414165

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Where foreign buying was highest, the crash will hit the hardest:

The number of new homes being built in Richmond is on the rise, while the number of existing ones being sold is declining.

Construction started on 1,413 new houses, townhouses and apartment units in the first six months of 2018, according to a quarterly report from Business in Richmond. That’s 60 per cent more homes starting the building process than in the same time period last year....(bold mine)

https://www.richmond-news.com/real-e...ond-1.23414165
At least one city was acting to solve the housing crisis instead of throwing blame around

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 9:57 PM
Rational urbanist

That Richmond Centre proposal is interesting. I'm excited to see more parking lots get developed, and the addition of retail fronting directly onto 3 Road is awesome. I'm much less enthusiastic about creating an artificial high street within the development itself. It's still a mall form, just without a roof.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:21 PM

As No. 3 Rd. is the main arterial - it's not suitable as the main retail high street.
Hazelbridge Way is better for the retail high street.
(akin to Robson St. or Alberni St. versus Georgia St.)

Burnaby has done the same at Brentwood.
Lougheed Highway is not the retail high street - it's one block away on Dawson St.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:42 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
As No. 3 Rd. is the main arterial - it's not suitable as the main retail high street.
Hazelbridge Way is better for the retail high street.
(akin to Robson St. or Alberni St. versus Georgia St.)

Burnaby has done the same at Brentwood.
Lougheed Highway is not the retail high street - it's one block away on Dawson St.
Well there's no reason a main arterial can't be a retail high street. Broadway and W 4th both are in Vancouver. As is Main Street, W 41st Avenue, Commercial Drive, etc.

But that aside, I'm not necessarily saying I'd want it focused on 3 Road. Just that I'd prefer for it to be organic, rather than just have a street be carved out on the existing site for the purpose of a high street. I know the street layout around that area makes that tougher though.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 12:57 AM

Those are former streetcar arterials in the "shopping district" sections - they're narrower than the "highway" arterials and have a history.
I don't think anyone would target the busy central Broadway section as a leisurely shopping destination (although there are lots of stores and restaurants there).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:26 AM

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:38 PM
Rational urbanist

^I haven't seen them, thanks for posting! That's a lot to absorb in such a short time frame, and who knows where the housing market is headed.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 2:29 AM

Aggressively mediocre architecture, considering that the sale price of the condos will be as high as any for this type of development in the world. I don't see a single innovative or even fresh design element, which is remarkable given how large the project is.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 3:31 AM

The one thing that seems common among the suburban projects is that they are using wraparound balconies for sun shading - more so than in downtown Vancouver (where they seem to use spandrel panels).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 3:50 AM

That render is a tad too embellished on the central square there. They're kidding themselves if they're going to be projecting multiple spotlights into the sky when they're pretty much underneath a flightpath.

Those designs are super-generic on the residential side. Very glad to see them keeping 2-level retail. Single-level retail is just

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:19 PM

Those are old. The design will get refined before these are put on sale, but don't expect anything too crazy, definitely aiming for a more conservative design. Materials will be high quality though.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The one thing that seems common among the suburban projects is that they are using wraparound balconies for sun shading - more so than in downtown Vancouver (where they seem to use spandrel panels).
The best balconies are enclosed solariums! In today’s non smoker society why do we need balconies which are a big waste of space and are also expensice to maintain (general maintenance and membrane replacements) when we can install rooms that can be converted to extra bedrooms with the window closed ������ balconies are a leftover from the 1970’s

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:32 PM

I see we have a non BBQer here...

Balconies are definitely still demanded by purchasers. Not all units need them but they are definitely still more common than not.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Balconies are definitely still demanded by purchasers. Not all units need them but they are definitely still more common than not.
I believe according to fire code your not allowed to bring up fuel cans (aka propane tanks) in the elevator, so most bbqs are already breaking rules, it’s just so common that no one stops it.

Anyway not saying no balcony, in just saying let’s enclose them from the getgo or just having a railing with a sliding door that opens into it. With the new firebreak rules I assume
this is what’s gonna happen anyway.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 11:19 PM

The best location in Richmond, wedged between a new aquatics/sports complex, library, mall, skytrain, established parks, and they come up with this crap??

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:06 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Yeah I'm also a container gardener and an open balcony is ideal. I currently have a solarium and its a nightmare for controlling pests as there's no natural predators (the pests have no trouble finding my plants for some reason) It's also too dry for my plants. I miss the hummingbirds and other birds that came to visit my plants, and sitting on my balcony in my undies with a nice warm breeze... Most solariums are too small to fit a twin bed let alone be converted to a usable bedroom.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:17 PM

another vote for balconies. they are a must for me if I am purchasing a condo.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 11:08 PM

Not an update but relevant for Lansdowne Mall redevelopment.

1986 photo of Lansdowne Park.

You can still see part of the old horse racetrack that was on the site.

http://old.globalairphotos.com/galle...+Centre/1986/2

Last edited by officedweller; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley