HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Highline Metrotown in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Is this them just not counting floors with “4” in them and “13”?
Burnaby put a stop to that before Vancouver did.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Burnaby put a stop to that before Vancouver did.
Oh really? I thought that was just Vancouver. Good to hear that.

Would nice to see some updated elevations then.

With 5 extra floors could be pushing 170 to 175m?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Oh really? I thought that was just Vancouver. Good to hear that.

Would nice to see some updated elevations then.

With 5 extra floors could be pushing 170 to 175m?
Hopefully. The front of Beresford really needs a distinctly tallest building, and this will provide. It will really stick out!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 9:52 PM

I count 48 on that diagram.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I count 48 on that diagram.
That's because that's the same image from the original marketing posters (and one the billboards currently erected around the site) and also the one on the first post of this thread (but colour switched).

If the current marketing material along with the developer's website now say 53 floors, then I'd go with that number instead, regardless of what the images show.

While 53 floors tracks for what you'd get if you skipped all the '4' and '13' number floors, they are legally not allowed to do that anymore even for marketing purposes, so it should be an accurate number.

If I had to guess, I would imagine they got rid of some of the office level floors (which typically have higher floor-to-floor heights) and converted them to residential units and floors instead and got more floors that way (while potentially still maintaining the overall building height).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 12:11 AM

Probably true, re: the rendering.

Conversion of floors from office to residential also assumes that Burnaby cares about actual building height versus adding floors.

Also possible that the marketing people didn't get the memo on the numbering prohibition.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Probably true, re: the rendering.

Conversion of floors from office to residential also assumes that Burnaby cares about actual building height versus adding floors.

Also possible that the marketing people didn't get the memo on the numbering prohibition.

Doubtful.
Enough time has passed since Burnaby changed that regulation that if you're in marketing in 2019 and still don't know that you can't do that, then you probably shouldn't still be in the business and likely aren't being contracted by developers like Thind.

And also since other municipalities and cities also followed suit. So it's more or less well known all over the GVA.

Besides which, the same number is on Thind (the developer)'s own website.
It would be one thing for the marketing people not to be aware (and to send out information like this when they STILL have posters up at skytrain stations all over the place showing the 48 floor number), but it's another thing for the developer themselves who have to know the correct number and are the ones ultimately liable in the event of any misinformation to spread the same confusing message.

But all that being said, anything is possible I suppose.

EDIT:

I should also point out that I pointed out the possibility of the tower still maintaining the same height (and relative form) despite the plan and usage configuration change not because they were trying to adhere to some city height limit restriction requirement (especially not so much in Burnaby) but for the basic logic that chances are they are not spending more on construction costs if all you're doing is moving things around re: re-configuring the plan to have more residential floors (...and units) and fewer office floors, versus what would happen if you were adding the extra residential floors on top of what you already have which obviously means most overhead and higher construction costs than you already have financing for.

Remember that this are developers we're talking about here.
At the end of the day, they are bottom-line, hard numbers kind of people who ultimately or primarily only care about ROI and profit.
More likely they looked at more recent office vacancy rate statistics in Metrotown or the surrounding greater Burnaby area along with the relevant demand or lack thereof for leasing space, and ran the numbers and determined that they'd get a better return with residential units than with more expensive (though ultimately higher lease rate and more money) office space. It might also be speaking more to a greater confidence they have in the Condo/Residential market making a strong enough rebound to justify it.

Most importantly (which is what I really should have led with), since they're already in construction now with excavation, we can safely assume that they not only have a building or construction permit, but also the design permit.
A change in design or configuration that adds 5 floors (and significant height) and possibly alters the form of the building significantly, would almost certainly trigger or necessitate a re-application for another Design permit.
Unless you want to risk being ordered to tear the building down because it does not match the design permit application and design permit granted (which cities have actually done).
A design permit re-application is looking at additional weeks if not months added to your project.

Easier just to reconfigure the project around the design form you already have a permit for - which happens all the time in construction projects - and keep to your original schedule (and budget).

Last edited by Spr0ckets; Oct 11, 2019 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 7:49 PM

Even if you added in more floors within the same overall height, you'd still need to amend the development permit.

Trump Tower added 10 floors by lowering ceiling heights - but it ended up increasing the tower height by 16ft:
https://council.vancouver.ca/20091117/documents/p1.pdf

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:30 AM

Was at a movie today, got an add for this building and managed to get this quick snap of a render (was that indent into the building near the bottom always there?) They also said 53 stories.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:22 AM

Nice job snapping the photo. It looks great. Just goes to show how a darkened room and a nice bright clear projection makes for a stellar image.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:46 AM
Reason and Freedom

Unless there are an additional 7 office floors below the 8 visible office floors, then that rendering doesn’t come close to depicting 53 floors.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:33 AM

I think there just might be. The rental tower is also supposed to be some 14 floors and is missing seven or so in the photo.

Damn, 53 floors will look awesome here. View from that penthouse will expand over all towers on Beresford so nicely...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:59 AM

Here’s the bottom half of the building. I count 53 floors

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 5:40 AM
Reason and Freedom

Yes, indeed, that confirms it. Good to see a substantial expansion in office space.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:26 PM

If true that is actually quite the pleasant surprise that the extra floors were added to the office portion. I have no idea why they would alter their renderings and advertisements if it weren’t true. Burnaby is so bizarrely secretive when it comes to information on tower projects.

One would think that someone who frequents this development forum would have at least some concrete inside information.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:17 PM

Thread title needs to be updated to

[Burnaby] Highline | >158.5m | 53 fl | U/C

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhujb View Post

Here’s the bottom half of the building. I count 53 floors
The second "tower" looks awfully tiny. They could easily add a few floors to it and still have it lower than the residential portion of the main tower.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhujb View Post
Thread title needs to be updated to

[Burnaby] Highline | >158.5m | 53 fl | U/C
It won't be U/C until they have finished digging the hole, and the first concrete is poured.

It's a bit odd that they're apparently going to build all that office space in the podium, and yet none of the Commercial Brokers seem to know about it, or have it listed.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The second "tower" looks awfully tiny. They could easily add a few floors to it and still have it lower than the residential portion of the main tower.
Cannot agree more. Doesn’t Burnaby have a plan to slowly taper down the heights of the buildings in this area? That’s a huge jump from height (53 -> 14)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Even if you added in more floors within the same overall height, you'd still need to amend the development permit.

Trump Tower added 10 floors by lowering ceiling heights - but it ended up increasing the tower height by 16ft:
https://council.vancouver.ca/20091117/documents/p1.pdf
That's Vancouver.
This is Burnaby.
Different cities and municipalities have different requirements and processes.
And in that case, as you pointed out yourself, the height of the tower (and therefore the form of the building) changed as a result of that change. So it's not surprising that they would have had to amend the development permit.

We've added floors to various projects we've done without affecting the overall form or height (or really design) of the project, and not had to re-apply for development or design permits.

It depends on where your project is getting built (and how).
Perhaps you're right in that they would need to re-apply for development permit in this case (again, I don't know the extent of the changes beyond the change of floors or usage, if that).
But that's never been my experience.

We're currently working on a project right now that's changing configuration of unit types (adding more 2 and 3 bedroom units) and even sections of the project changing from Office usage to residential (as in this case) - and it already has a building permit. Though that project is in Richmond.
The key there being that the tower forms and design aren't radically changing from what the original design permits showed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley