HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I noticed the name on the hording: no one will ever use this name. I think the first nations naming (in the region) has been fumbled by deciding that the use of the linguistic expression of the names is paramount. This has had the consequence that 'unintelligible' spelling has alienated most people (including many of our indigenous fellows). This convention for spelling Indigenous languages came about in order to control and record the sounds used that European languages do not register. It won't work, and dooms the native naming strategy as a whole.
Yeah, it is just a recipe for causing unnecessary conflict. Nobody in 'Canada' or 'Kelowna' or 'Coquitlam' has the slightest issue with using native names for things, in general they are pretty cool and better than Lord X or Port So and So. But when you can't comprehend or pronounce what is written, you're going to call it something else, and you're going to be annoyed at the cluelessness of the folks in charge who thought virtue-signalling was more important than even the most basic, elementary component of society - things having a name that people can pronounce. It is abusing people's tolerance, and the sooner it ends, the better for everyone.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 7:27 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I was just in the area and this project has come along nicely. It will be a great facility except for not having the one additional swimming lane so that the pool can be used for high level competitions. Too bad for New West, but really its too bad for the region as a whole.

I noticed the name on the hording: no one will ever use this name. I think the first nations naming (in the region) has been fumbled by deciding that the use of the linguistic expression of the names is paramount. This has had the consequence that 'unintelligible' spelling has alienated most people (including many of our indigenous fellows). This convention for spelling Indigenous languages came about in order to control and record the sounds used that European languages do not register. It won't work, and dooms the native naming strategy as a whole. And it also just bates petty minds to express their inner race based angers . . . yes, that's you Klazu.

I have to agree. Just give a phonetic spelling, along with the indigenous spelling, so everyone can understand and pronounce it.

I love the indigenous names in BC, and agree it adds historical context to where we are. Haida Gwaii is a way more interesting name than Queen Charlotte Islands, but that's because it's not only spelt X̱aaydag̱a Gwaay.yaay X̱aayda gwaay (and this is one of the easier names to figure out).

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 7:33 PM

It takes all of fifteen seconds to learn that it's pronounced "tah-mah-sout". It's no different than learning how to say "Worcestershire" or "Gloucester" properly. Or do people complain that it doesn't say "Worcestershire (wuss-ter-sheer) Sauce" on the bottle?

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
It takes all of fifteen seconds to learn that it's pronounced "tah-mah-sout". It's no different than learning how to say "Worcestershire" or "Gloucester" properly. Or do people complain that it doesn't say "Worcestershire (wuss-ter-sheer) Sauce" on the bottle?
Maybe if it only had letters used in English, people wouldn't be so angry.
I mean, it's kind of difficult to even attempt to pronounce it unless you know what the letters represent.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Maybe if it only had letters used in English, people wouldn't be so angry.
I mean, it's kind of difficult to even attempt to pronounce it unless you know what the letters represent.
I live in New Westminster. People I talk to in New Westminster largely have no problem with it. Even my parents, well beyond retirement age, who still call the River Market "the New West Quay", have no problem with it.

"tah-mah-sout" is not difficult at all. If you can't take the fifteen seconds it takes to learn it, you're either lazy or you're refusing to learn for some other reason. Here's a webpage that describes the new name, but I guess because it would require a couple of minutes of reading it's too difficult for some people. You could watch the 26-second video showing multiple people saying təməsew̓txʷ if that's more your speed.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 5:04 PM

Also live in New West. It's not that hard to try to pronounce, I get it wrong, but I also get Worcestershire wrong too and life goes on. If someone still doesn't know what I'm talking about "the pool" seems to suffice in those select occasions.

I do agree that a phonetic spelling would be easier, but let's start spelling English words phonetically too then.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 4:48 PM

Douglas College / Stantec released some renderings of the project at 808 Royal in New Westminster:

808 Royal (Douglas College) Renderings by Brad Cavanagh, on Flickr

This will be a 20-storey academic and student housing building. 244 student housing units, plus over 240k sq.ft. of academic space. Council voted last night to waive Public Hearing for this project, which should help speed up the process.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
This will be a 20-storey academic and student housing building. 244 student housing units, plus over 240k sq.ft. of academic space. Council voted last night to waive Public Hearing for this project, which should help speed up the process.
Great find on those renderings! Hopefully they are able to get this started this summer!

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 6:08 PM

Looks very much like building at UBC

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Douglas College / Stantec released some renderings of the project at 808 Royal in New Westminster:

Love what they are doing here, especially from the City Council.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
It does, but won't be as "hidden" as UBC's. More people from the public pass by New West's downtown: not just students.
This also looks a little like the un-utilized "Art" building built by Grosvenor at Pacific Boulevard by Vancouver House, as well as the Mason's Grand Lodge House building near Granville and Broadway.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
SFU, too.

Source

UBCO, as well.

Source

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 10:26 PM

That design works well for dorm-sttyle student residences, which typically have small windows
(i.e. no living rooms, just a common room on each floor).
UBC Totem Park and Vanier Park (back in the day) have similar window proportions with brick cladding.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 10:10 PM

810 Agnes was approved by council on Monday.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
810 Agnes was approved by council on Monday.
Great to hear. Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:34 PM

Columbia Square redevelopment preliminary proposal:

https://pub-newwestcity.escribemeeti...ab=attachments

Quote:
it is anticipated the site could accommodate 6 to 8 towers ... It is expected that as a minimum, the existing retail floor space would be replaced on site ... and that a minimum of 11,150 square metres (120,000 square feet) of office space be provided on site
Quote:
staff has indicated to the applicant that they need to work with School District 40 to understand school space needs and determine if there is an opportunity for the project to accommodate an urban school
Quote:
Depending on the provision of amenities the amount of residential floor space could be between 155,000 to 279,000 square metres (1.7 million to 3 million square feet) and could represent an estimated 2,200 to 4,000 residential units for an estimated 4,000 to 7,250 residents.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:18 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
After this, hopefully the downtown New West will look a lot more like a "downtown" Curious to see how the people will react. The proposed hotel nearby is only 1 building and already got so much nay lol

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 2:56 AM

Nice that they are not in rows.

It would also be nice if the flatiron building wasn't so butted up to the sidewalks
- a small plaza would be good to mark Royal Ave. (like how West Pender diverges from West Georgia)

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 10, 2023 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Nice that they are not in rows.

It would also be nice if the flatiron building wasn't so butted up to the sidewalks
- a small plaza would be good to mark Royal Ave. (like how West Pender diverges from West Georgia)
It would also be nice if there was a little more variation in height. Right now in New West every building around the same age is about the same height, and then the next set of buildings are all the same taller height, and then these ones are another set of newer taller buildings that are around the same height.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 5:55 AM

I think there is a nice variation in height, but that train yard and the overhead Skytrain is going to make for a noisy living and disconnect this from what is otherwise a pretty great waterfront. I guess this is the natural way for the skyline to grow and I wonder if this will help make a case for a new Skytrain station west of New Westminster?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley