HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
ah ok. that power place across the street would be a deterrent.
And the fact that it overlooks huge graveyard(s)..

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 12:28 AM

The best highrise proposal in Burnaby by quite some margin! Let's hope it isn't value engineered to death.

This practice (Faulkner Browns) originated in my hometown of Newcastle, and they've done some fantastic work in the UK. They're known for their detailing and quality materials, which bodes well here. Hopefully we'll see more from them across the lower mainland.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 1:27 AM

Quote:
ah ok. that power place across the street would be a deterrent.
The White Spot parcel is between this project and the hydro station.
Cemetery is farther to the north.

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...ntwood-7741609

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...ntwood-7741609

Daily Hive story:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/4141...operties-hotel

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Also kind of reminds me of Marina City in Chicago.

https://www.architecture.org/learn/r...g/marina-city/
This is what I was thinking as well.

Even if there are several towers of the same style it doesn't bother me, especially when the style is well executed, such as in these designs.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 6:23 AM

The taller building will probably tall enough, especially being located on slightly higher ground, to block NE views from Gilmore Place penthouses. Goes to say how crazy tall and packed together buildings in Brentwood are going to be that views can be seriously impacted even for units that are above 60th floor.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
The taller building will probably tall enough, especially being located on slightly higher ground, to block NE views from Gilmore Place penthouses. Goes to say how crazy tall and packed together buildings in Brentwood are going to be that views can be seriously impacted even for units that are above 60th floor.
it would be cool to see brentwood end up crazy like NYC; i would be a fan of that. all it needs is a High Line connecting all the buildings with a park. and thatd be perfect.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 4:57 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
it would be cool to see brentwood end up crazy like NYC; i would be a fan of that. all it needs is a High Line connecting all the buildings with a park. and thatd be perfect.
Hehe I love the enthusiasm, and I am a big fan of all the density and truly tall buildings that Burnaby is building, much more impressive than Vancouver at the moment! And I think (hopefully) that you were kidding when you compared NYC and Burnaby even in the future lol, or that "all it needs is a High Line" as if having that would take it to NYC level

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:
It'll be fun riding the Skytrain down the centre of Lougheed in between all these towers.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Hehe I love the enthusiasm, and I am a big fan of all the density and truly tall buildings that Burnaby is building, much more impressive than Vancouver at the moment! And I think (hopefully) that you were kidding when you compared NYC and Burnaby even in the future lol, or that "all it needs is a High Line" as if having that would take it to NYC level
haha it'll never be NYC. but i would like to see the tall buildings such as found in Manhattan all throughout brentwood. then a linear park connecting them all, like the High Line does, would be quite nice. i think that would create a pretty awesome neighbourhood.

sadly, we lack the vision to do that... sigh... but one can hope...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 12:44 AM

Quote:
haha it'll never be NYC. but i would like to see the tall buildings such as found in Manhattan all throughout brentwood. then a linear park connecting them all, like the High Line does, would be quite nice. i think that would create a pretty awesome neighbourhood.

sadly, we lack the vision to do that... sigh... but one can hope...
Well, what we lack is an abandoned elevated rail line running through Brentwood. So what you seem to be wanting is for the SkyTrain to be abandoned so it can be used as a pedestrian route and elevated park. Bold, but probably not happening just yet.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Well, what we lack is an abandoned elevated rail line running through Brentwood. So what you seem to be wanting is for the SkyTrain to be abandoned so it can be used as a pedestrian route and elevated park. Bold, but probably not happening just yet.
you dont need an abandoned rail line to turn into the high line. but you can take inspiration from that, and build retail lower levels, then have an elevated linear park connecting the buildings like the high line. with the offices/residential lobbies off of that, it ensures eyes stay on it throughout the day and it creates a getaway for people away from Lougheed.

we dont need to be a carbon copy, but we should take inspiration.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 1:23 AM

I think some overpasses or underpasses are needed in the Brentwood area, it gets really busy and at times it's so crowded sharing very little space at the gas station corners.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 6:09 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
I think some overpasses or underpasses are needed in the Brentwood area, it gets really busy and at times it's so crowded sharing very little space at the gas station corners.
Overtime sidewalks in Brentwood will get wider as more new developments are built and traffic will be calmed (i.e., shorter signal cycles) which should reduce the amount of queuing at corners. If West Georgia can handle similar traffic levels and far more pedestrian traffic, Lougheed should be able to do the same without pedestrian overpasses.

Traffic speed on Lougheed may decrease in the coming decades, but the throughput may not decrease.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 7:43 AM

we gotta start thinking more like Tokyo and Bangkok with its sky sidewalks. le sigh.

I like that it currently looks busier than Edmonton but the splashing and cramped areas are years away from full-service intersections.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 6:10 PM

Quote:
we gotta start thinking more like Tokyo and Bangkok with its sky sidewalks. le sigh.
I second this! I still miss the overhead walkway from Metrotown station to the mall - it was so nice to be able to cross Central Blvd without having to deal with car traffic. I'm sure drivers are missing it too as traffic is stop-and-go through a few blocks there.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 6:38 PM

Quote:
It's been closed for the past few months, but if I'm crossing Lougheed to/from Brentwood Mall I tend to take the Brentwood Station pedestrian overpass. Just reopened, so it's an option. I'm hoping that sometime in the future it integrates into whatever goes into the Carter dealership and it becomes a regular thing to use.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 7:23 PM

I think the long term vision is to have a direct connection from the mezzanine to whatever is built to the south. The views are already amazing - that's going to be a pretty cool vantage point if it's designed right.

Maybe that's why they didn't opt for escalators in the newly opened south station house?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:10 AM

We have discussed it before but the only way to traffic calm Lougheed Highway is to tunnel it through Brentwood, which I hope would happen. The traffic itself is not going anywhere and will only continue to grow as car reigns supreme for most commuters in Lower Mainland.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:16 AM

A four lane dive under Willingdon is the only real choice. These are often down in Japanese suburban / urban cores near stations. Keeps the surface better for pedestrians.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
We have discussed it before but the only way to traffic calm Lougheed Highway is to tunnel it through Brentwood, which I hope would happen. The traffic itself is not going anywhere and will only continue to grow as car reigns supreme for most commuters in Lower Mainland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
A four lane dive under Willingdon is the only real choice. These are often down in Japanese suburban / urban cores near stations. Keeps the surface better for pedestrians.
yup, by far the best way to solve this area. improve it for pedestrians, bikes, and improve traffic flow.

that means we will never see it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley