HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
It's actually quite rare for anything to be an unmitgated disaster.
This is from Rob MacDonald, a prominent local developer and hey! - just happens to be the NPA fund-raising chair. It looks like when you ride the protected bike lane, you ride the protected bike lane with hitler.....

Quote:
However, the recent unwarranted and unwanted expansion of the pre-existing downtown Vancouver bike lanes principally on Hornby and Dunsmuir Streets has been a disaster, and a lesson in abysmal government practice...

The recent installation of the expanded and separated bike lanes has been carried out by extremists who are completely uncaring about the many parties whose interests are tied to these major arteries. How else could someone consciously design a system that is so unbalanced in approach and so destructive to so many people?......

What is crystal clear is that many of our current Councillors are guilty of psychopathic delusion ....

http://www.francesbula.com/uncategor...he-bike-lanes/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
This is from Rob MacDonald, a prominent local developer and hey! - just happens to be the NPA fund-raising chair. It looks like when you ride the protected bike lane, you ride the protected bike lane with hitler.....

http://www.francesbula.com/uncategor...he-bike-lanes/
I HEART Rob. Not afraid to speak against the cycle-fanatics out there.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
... the cycle-fanatics out there.
In just 3 years Seville put in 120 km of separated bike lanes.
( http://www.goinggoingbike.com/blog/s...ransformation/ ).

Vancouver puts in 5 km and that makes us "fanatics." I don't get it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
This is from Rob MacDonald, a prominent local developer and hey! - just happens to be the NPA fund-raising chair.
Quote:
However, the recent unwarranted and unwanted expansion of the pre-existing downtown Vancouver bike lanes principally on Hornby and Dunsmuir Streets has been a disaster
What disaster? The businesses had a chance to put up or shut up with the Business Impact Study. Out of over 200 businesses surveyed only four reported financial numbers to back up their claims of revenue impact, and for those four the numbers showed that their claims were exaggerated. Meanwhile, bike lane usage is up 17% year over year, ICBC reports that collisions on Dunsmuir have dropped 18%, and the impact on automobile travel times is measured in terms of a mere minute or two.

My concern is that since this guy is financing the NPA he's the one pulling Suzanne Anton's strings when she starts calling for moratoriums and reviews. I sure don't want to see him calling the shots.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
What disaster? Meanwhile, bike lane usage is up 17% year over year...
As a point of factual clarification, that statement is partially true and partially untrue.

According to the City's figures, the bike lane usage on the Dunsmuir Viaduct (not the Dunsmuir bike lane itself, as those are recorded separately) is up about 17% from July 2010 to July 2011 and a whopping 28% from August 2010 to August 2011.

On the Burrard Bridge, bike lane usage increased 18% from August 2010 to August 2011, but decreased about 5% from July 2010 to July 2011. If we take a 12 month period, it appears that bike lane usage on the Burrard Street Bridge actually dropped about 4.8% in Sept - August 2011 from the September - August 2010 time period.

Of course, this is just bike lane usage. AFAIK, we don't have any data on whether this represents an increase in cycle use, as opposed to an increase in use of the lanes by cyclists.

(As always, I stand to be corrected on my math.)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 10:02 PM

Questions for Candidates for Upcoming Elections

Here are some basic cycling questions that you can ask your local government candidates about cycling:

1. What modes of transportation do you normally use within Metro Vancouver?
2. How would you support and encourage cycling for transportation to promote healthy and livable communities?
3. What would you do to reduce barriers to cycling?
4. Do you think the current level of funding for cycling in your municipality is adequate?
5. What would you do to ensure a sustainable and adequate source of cycling funding during your term in office?
6. What is your level of interest in a public bike-share system integrated with the transit system?
7. What role do you think the municipality has in supporting and promoting cycling education for children, cyclists and motorists?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Here are some basic cycling questions that you can ask your local government candidates about cycling:

1. What modes of transportation do you normally use within Metro Vancouver?
2. How would you support and encourage cycling for transportation to promote healthy and livable communities?
3. What would you do to reduce barriers to cycling?
4. Do you think the current level of funding for cycling in your municipality is adequate?
5. What would you do to ensure a sustainable and adequate source of cycling funding during your term in office?
6. What is your level of interest in a public bike-share system integrated with the transit system?
7. What role do you think the municipality has in supporting and promoting cycling education for children, cyclists and motorists?
All good questions for anyone interested in this issue. I would add:

- do you intend to construct any more separated bike lanes in Vancouver
- if so, where?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
All good questions for anyone interested in this issue. I would add:

- do you intend to construct any more separated bike lanes in Vancouver
- if so, where?
That would depend where you live, I don't think Dianne Watts would care. Though she is on record of being against them in Surrey which I think is a little short sighted. But I think that one way cycle lanes adjacent to sidewalks may work better in Surrey as we do not have any one way roads similar to Vancouver though I do not think that having 2 way cycle lanes on one side of the street is unheard of on a 2 way road as they exist in Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
That would depend where you live, I don't think Dianne Watts would care. Though she is on record of being against them in Surrey which I think is a little short sighted. But I think that one way cycle lanes adjacent to sidewalks may work better in Surrey as we do not have any one way roads similar to Vancouver though I do not think that having 2 way cycle lanes on one side of the street is unheard of on a 2 way road as they exist in Montreal.
True enough. I was thinking Vancouver, but, as you correctly point out, the separated bike lanes may not be an issue elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:59 PM
BANNED

COPE has come out strongly in favour of separated bike lanes.

http://cope.bc.ca/2011/10/20/cope-ca...-safety-first/
Quote:
COPE CANDIDATES TO PUT BIKE AND PEDESTRIAN SAFETY FIRST
For Immediate Release: Thursday, October 20th, 2011
As bicycling becomes an ever-popular mode of transportation for many Vancouverites, the question of road sharing, or sidewalk sharing, as it may be, is becoming increasingly important.
“If cyclists don’t feel safe on the roads, then they end up using the sidewalk. This in turn puts pedestrian safety at risk,” said COPE Park Board Candidate, Brent Granby. “COPE is committed to improving overall bicycle safety through education, enforcement and infrastructure.”
The City of Vancouver is currently working on a 10-year cycling master plan to be incorporated into their Transportation Plan 2040 – a longer ranging vision of the City’s future transportation development.
“COPE will ensure that bike safety education, increased cycling infrastructure and better by-law enforcement, are included in the master plan, so that we can create a Vancouver that is accessible to everyone,” said COPE City Council Candidate Tim Louis.
“Pedestrians need to feel safe on the sidewalks, while cyclists need to feel safe on the road. Stopping drivers from speeding down bike ways, and stopping cyclists from biking on sidewalks should be a priority,” said Louis. “This problem can be addressed through meaningful by-law enforcement.”
“At the same time, cyclists need to feel safe on the roads,” continued Brent Granby, COPE Park Board candidate. “That needs to happen through increased cycling infrastructure, including separated bike lanes. The fact that Suzanne Anton wants to place a moratorium on separated bike lanes is completely backwards. We should be creating a vast network of bike infrastructure that connects every corner of the city, not inhibiting it.”
COPE has also committed to providing bike safety education in the school system. “If we want to create a society of safe, respectful and committed bicyclists, we need to start educating our children about safe biking,” said COPE School Board candidate Al Blakey. “Just seven months ago New West decided to incorporate bike safety education into their education system. We can do this too.”
In March, 2011 the City of New Westminster committed to funding the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition’s Ride the Road program for all grade 7 and 8 students.
COPE is also calling on the City of Vancouver to pressure ICBC to include substantial training for new drivers on how to respectfully share the road with cyclists.
“COPE strongly believes that the bicycle is an excellent form of sustainable transportation and wants to do everything possible to make it an essential component of long-term transportation planning,” said Granby. “You can count on COPE to keep Vancouver moving safely.”

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
COPE has come out strongly in favour of separated bike lanes.
That's a pretty positive message in my view. I especially like their proposal for mandatory bike education in the school system - it's something I've been in favour of for quite a while now. I think it's an important cornerstone in a foundation that will lead to better coexistence between cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
That's a pretty positive message in my view. I especially like their proposal for mandatory bike education in the school system - it's something I've been in favour of for quite a while now. I think it's an important cornerstone in a foundation that will lead to better coexistence between cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.
From their press release, it seems like they are committed to making bicycle education available in schools but not making it mandatory.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 2:04 AM
Mac User

I finally upgraded my old phone and got the new iPhone. Does anyone know of any good apps for cycling preferably one that can be used for running and hiking as well. I'd like the app to be able to track my route, record average speed, top speed and elevation gain.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 6:31 AM

there's this one, but honestly, i never used it.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/vanco...384307529?mt=8

this web-app is cool, it calculates cals burned and how much shade from trees to expect.

http://cvtest.soeh.ubc.ca/

practically, I almost never use any apps for biking, except for google maps. I generally bike in my local area so i have a high familiarity with the streets.

it'd also use it more if i had one of these:

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/product...mount-iphone-4

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
I finally upgraded my old phone and got the new iPhone. Does anyone know of any good apps for cycling preferably one that can be used for running and hiking as well. I'd like the app to be able to track my route, record average speed, top speed and elevation gain.
http://www.strava.com/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 5:57 AM

OK, going to ask the forum for some help here.

For the longest time I have been using an old rocky mountain mountain bike, and let me just say it is beyond retirement.

I would really like to get a new bike to use on the road and groomed trails (so no mountain bike).

But here is my problem, I am very tight for budget and can not go over $300.00. Does anyone know where I can get a half decent road bike for commuting & pleasure for that price or under? I really don't want a crappy Zeller's or Wall Mart bike (but if i have to, I have to)

Thanks in advance (i would really like to try out the greenways and others paths in Van now that I live in Van)

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 6:44 AM

would you consider used bikes? depending on how tall you are I might have something that could work for you. pm me

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 8:59 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

$49.99 for a decent angle grinder at Canadian tire and another $10 for a long extension cord and you're all set, just avoid taking a couriers bike as they will find you. j/k
I'm in the same boat as you, I have an expensive mountain bike that's not suited for what I really need. Haven't ridden it since moving d/t. Could use a decent road bike but don't want to spend a fortune. I'd be happy with a bike a few years old but can't find what I want for what I'd like to pay.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 10:50 PM

Just bought a bike from jv bike in yaletown (jvbike.com). They have many euro style and foldable bikes with a starting price of 475. We bought a euro style Biria with a front and rear carrier for 500. It looks great biking around the city. IMO you could get a cheaper bike but I find them heavy with an awkward seating position. Jvbike offers lifetime cable and brake adjustments but we haven't tried this yet.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
OK, going to ask the forum for some help here.

For the longest time I have been using an old rocky mountain mountain bike, and let me just say it is beyond retirement.

I would really like to get a new bike to use on the road and groomed trails (so no mountain bike).

But here is my problem, I am very tight for budget and can not go over $300.00. Does anyone know where I can get a half decent road bike for commuting & pleasure for that price or under? I really don't want a crappy Zeller's or Wall Mart bike (but if i have to, I have to)

Thanks in advance (i would really like to try out the greenways and others paths in Van now that I live in Van)

I would look for a used Hybrid bike. My friend has found lots of good deals for bikes. I forget what website he uses though. But you should be able to find something decent for $300 used.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure