HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

181 Fremont in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 1:58 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Interesting. 50 Fremont and Millennium really get overshadowed in these. Fortunately, the actual designs for Transbay and 181 Fremont will minimize this due to tapering.

I also noticed they showed the second Infinity tower completed, plus its two-tower sister next door, but only the taller One Rincon tower completed.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 2:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
I think BofA at 1200' would be pretty cool
Sorry, not me. I don't even care for it at its present height.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 3:44 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Interesting. 50 Fremont and Millennium really get overshadowed in these. Fortunately, the actual designs for Transbay and 181 Fremont will minimize this due to tapering.
Millennium will continue to show from the east for the foreseeable future though, adding to a great downtown view from the water.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 6:02 AM
Only Mostly Dead

That's true. It will also be visible from certain northern angles as well. I could see the crane poking out between some of the buildings from the water off Telegraph Hill this evening.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 6:43 AM

As others have said, it may just be the low quality rendering, but this looks to be a huge, graceless mess. I completely agree with SFView that Heller Manus' best work comes from collaborations with world class architects, and unfortunately at this point our local firm is far from being one itself. Everyone should go over and take a look at the portfolio on Heller Manus' website, which to me jumps out as being generic and mediocre. They just don't seem to understand how to properly detail a building on a large scale. And this isn't once or twice, it looks to be on every tower they've designed. Look at our skyline and see which recently constructed buildings you wish had had just a bit more thought put into the design. Most likely they're the work of Heller Manus.

Anyway, to sum it up: this is one clunky, inelegant tower.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 5:03 PM

Infinity, 555 Mission... Add one more to the list: 535 Mission
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=118924&page=2

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 1:47 AM

BTW, does anyone know exactly when construction is supposed to start on this tower?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:07 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

That's what I want to know as well.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:00 PM

Finally, Transbay will have an original iconic tower (as opposed to Pelli's 2IFC/Goldman Sachs/1IFC that's supposed to top off the complex).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfguy View Post
BTW, does anyone know exactly when construction is supposed to start on this tower?
Weren't they holding off on announcing this until they find out of the height limits are raised for this neighborhood (scheduled to be decided in Summer '08)? Either way, I'd be surprised if the construction began any sooner than within a couple years.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:21 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Finally, Transbay will have an original iconic tower (as opposed to Pelli's 2IFC/Goldman Sachs/1IFC that's supposed to top off the complex).
Lets not forget Piano's Towers, which we still have not seen, but should be highly attractive in design and about 300' taller than 181 Fremont. After all, it is Renzo Piano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Weren't they holding off on announcing this until they find out of the height limits are raised for this neighborhood (scheduled to be decided in Summer '08)? Either way, I'd be surprised if the construction began any sooner than within a couple years.
I'm hoping that the studies allow for some seriously tall towers to be built. Could the project just move forward if they decide to cut the tower's height in half (Which I sincerely hope does not happen)? Also, because this is a "green" proposal, does it not get an expedited process?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:23 PM
Green Berniecrat

A note for the moderator going around cleaning up the titles: Good job. The number of floors is currently proposed at 66 Floors. This should be displayed in the title of the thread. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:48 PM

ok there

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 3:08 AM
BANNED

I think you guys are way ahead of yourselves. This is little more than a concept which MIGHT turn into a serious proposal if and when the TransBay Project height limit rezonings are approved. Yes, someone could move something forward now although, without checking the current height limit and, as we are constantly reminded, the FAR limits (because this is a pretty small site), I'm guessing it would have to be much less than even half of 900 feet. And why would they? By waiting 6 months or so, they might be able to go substantially higher (I deem it pretty likely a major upzoning will be approved even if it isn't what has been proposed). And besides, with what smells like a recession coming on it would take major cajones to propose and actually move forward on a new spec office building right now--IF financing were available which is dubious.

It seems like wishful thinking too often clouds too many views of reality around here.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 1:08 PM

It does remind me of the tower in Hong Kong.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:32 AM

Also bear in mind this is just a rendering. Experience shows Heller Manus designs are built with a lot less glass and more stucco than initially depicted.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 3:35 PM

they deserve to be banished from the city if they put stucco on a 900 footer.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:40 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
they deserve to be banished from the city if they put stucco on a 900 footer.
Fortunately, stucco would never be put on a skyscraper. Unfortunately, it won't be 900 feet either.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 8:11 AM

touche

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Fortunately, stucco would never be put on a skyscraper.
Isn't the finish of the Meridien/Argent hotel a coat of stucco? I believe it was applied over the origianl precast concrete (or perhap it was cast in place concrete, I am not sure), as part of the remodel a few years back. Daniel Burnham Court, which is over 200', is also stucco. It certainly can be done. All it takes is an architect/developer team intent on controlling cost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive