HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:09 PM

Facade Restorations

Sawtooth, I totally agree. The '70s and '80s saw not only a bunch of razing of older structures thanks to the WPA and BRA but many of the older brick buildings were conceiled with pargetting or other veneers being installed. There are a number of older brick buildings downtown that have been concealed in this manner. It would be neat to see some of original looks return and be restored without the sand lime mortar that washes away in time.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 6:05 AM

Quote:
What it took to swap Boise’s Spaulding Ranch, West End site

The requirements, approved last week, are unusual, but they largely conform to LocalConstruct’s vision for a mixture of residential and retail space on the West End property.

They include extending 29th Street, which today stops at Main Street, south through the property to Fairview Avenue.

The city is also requiring LocalConstruct to build a path of some sort that runs east-west through the property. This could be a road for cars, a large sidewalk, a bike path or something else.

If LocalConstruct’s final project looks anything like its early concepts, it should meet those requirements easily. The company proposed building 150-200 apartments and a grocery store.
Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...#storylink=cpy

Wow, this has the potential to be a complete game changer for the "West End". Putting in a grocery store automatically makes the area 1000 times more attractive to future urban residents in the area. I'll wait for total analyzation of the final plan, but it really sounds like an asset to the entire area, and naturally invites everyone through property with the addition of streets and paths. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post

Wow, this has the potential to be a complete game changer for the "West End". Putting in a grocery store automatically makes the area 1000 times more attractive to future urban residents in the area. I'll wait for total analyzation of the final plan, but it really sounds like an asset to the entire area, and naturally invites everyone through property with the addition of streets and paths. Fingers crossed.
This does sound like a great plan for that area. I would also like to see a Bown Crossing type village there too.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:46 PM

http://www.kivitv.com/news/electic-b...ime-for-spring

Electric bikes hit the Greenbelt ... just in time for spring

Quote:
There’s a new way to explore Boise’s parks and greenbelt. Pedego, a new bike shop off Parkcenter Boulevard in Boise, right across the street from the greenbelt, sells and rents electric bicycles.

"It's a great way to see the beauty around here and explore the treasure valley," Nicole West, the shops owner said.

West and her husband recently moved to the treasure valley to set up the California based company

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 10:43 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

the bus hole

crane spotting

moved here to the Boise thread from a *yawn* thread
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 8:37 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
I'm still not sold on reducing Vista by a lane in each direction for on-street parking until there is a viable reason to do so. I don't think reducing traffic speed is going to cut it because there aren't really any businesses along Vista that don't have plenty of off-street parking, so it could potentially go completely unused. Based on some of the newer businesses on Overland and Vista, it seems that the zoning is moving toward a more pedestrian model, but without the density to support it removing lanes is very premature. The type of density required for their "Idaho Brooklyn" idea is never going to happen if the city doesn't start allowing whole neighborhoods to be bulldozed. There has been quite a lot of shotgun homes going up in the Vista/Overland neighborhood, but even that isn't enough.

What I'd like to see is a serious look at a light rail proposal going from Downtown and up Vista to the airport, but only if zoning was drastically changed to allow for dense TOD. Having the light rail go to the airport creates an obvious and important link, but also provides a close location to create a park and ride into Downtown, a storage facility for the light rail itself, and the chance to build a vast, truly urban neighborhood right on downtown's doorstep. Most of those homes could be torn down, as shown by the number of shotgun homes sprouting up.
Granted, I'm not a Boise native nor have ever been to Boise and am in fact an East Coaster with an East Coaster's view of what "congestion" looks like, but:

What you've got on Vista Avenue is a chicken and egg problem. See, in its current configuration it prioritizes speed over anything else, and because of that, whatever the city's stated intentions, you'll never get denser, more pedestrian-oriented businesses.

That said, you don't necessarily need to have a parking lane to have a good urban presence. Take, for example, Lancaster Avenue in Ardmore, PA, which has four through lanes (none removable short of redefining the meaning of the word "gridlock") through a dense walkable neighborhood.

It also has some really ridiculously narrow sidewalks even when you have buildings making a street edge. That sidewalk needs to be twice as wide or nobody's gonna be wanting to walk on the street.

Something else I note about the area around Vista Avenue is that it has excellent connectivity. Blocks are small and generally (but not always) connected to Vista. This is an asset and may be as important a factor in forecasting ridership as density.

It sounds to me like Boise's planners want to implement a classic road diet on Vista. Actually, what Vista really needs are:

1. A narrower center lane (one perhaps just wide enough for pedestrian refuges between major intersections)
2. Separated bike lanes given likely traffic conditions
3. Wider sidewalks

Of these, (3) is easily the most important. A wider sidewalk separates pedestrians from fast-flowing traffic, which in turn makes them want to linger on the street more, which in its turn builds demand for pedestrian-oriented retail, which brings more pedestrians to the street ...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:56 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://www.kivitv.com/news/electic-b...ime-for-spring

Electric bikes hit the Greenbelt ... just in time for spring
Weird, that KIVI link is 404 already. Wonder if someone complained?

I'm pretty dang sure that electric bikes are not allowed on the Greenbelt using its electric motor. How a cop wouldn't determine if one is under pedal power or electric assist is beyond me though. I wonder if anyone has been nailed for it?

I vaguely recall a conversation last year at the Pioneer Footbridge with a couple of urban campers and a BPD bike cop and they were talking about busting a guy who was using electric assist on the greenbelt. The urban camper bros were ratting out the electric bike dude, and the cop was saying that he had warned the guy about it and would ticket him if he caught him, and it's not cheap. Like $100+. I could be wrong about this.

Here's another story I found, and it seems like a gray area. There's a good safety point made,-- an electric assist bike in a bike lane may be going a lot faster than a driver exiting a driveway or intersection may anticipate.

http://kboi2.com/news/local/bike-lan...otorized-bikes

EDIT: Here's a direct link to the KIVI video: http://mediaassets.kivitv.com/video/...50484_1200.mp4

In case anyone wonders how I found it. I had to do a google search for it and then clicked the cached version. Then I did an element search until I found the mp4. Copied the URL and replaced all the "%2F" characters with a "/" and the "%3A" with a colon. Maybe someone has an easier way to pull embedded video urls?

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 28, 2016 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:15 AM
Closed account

Boise Hyatt Place starting framing on first floor:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Granted, I'm not a Boise native nor have ever been to Boise and am in fact an East Coaster with an East Coaster's view of what "congestion" looks like, but:

What you've got on Vista Avenue is a chicken and egg problem. See, in its current configuration it prioritizes speed over anything else, and because of that, whatever the city's stated intentions, you'll never get denser, more pedestrian-oriented businesses.

That said, you don't necessarily need to have a parking lane to have a good urban presence. Take, for example, Lancaster Avenue in Ardmore, PA, which has four through lanes (none removable short of redefining the meaning of the word "gridlock") through a dense walkable neighborhood.

It also has some really ridiculously narrow sidewalks even when you have buildings making a street edge. That sidewalk needs to be twice as wide or nobody's gonna be wanting to walk on the street.

Something else I note about the area around Vista Avenue is that it has excellent connectivity. Blocks are small and generally (but not always) connected to Vista. This is an asset and may be as important a factor in forecasting ridership as density.

It sounds to me like Boise's planners want to implement a classic road diet on Vista. Actually, what Vista really needs are:

1. A narrower center lane (one perhaps just wide enough for pedestrian refuges between major intersections)
2. Separated bike lanes given likely traffic conditions
3. Wider sidewalks

Of these, (3) is easily the most important. A wider sidewalk separates pedestrians from fast-flowing traffic, which in turn makes them want to linger on the street more, which in its turn builds demand for pedestrian-oriented retail, which brings more pedestrians to the street ...

Great insight hammersklavier. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Beautiful photos Sawtooth.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 8:28 PM

Local Construct 30th and Main

Quote:

I've been sitting on these for a couple of months now, and with the article, I figured they could be posted. This is Local Constructs conceptual idea for the 30th and Main site that they presented to the City Council on Dec 8th. At the time, their intent was for a grocery store, office/retail and housing units. They also included a parking garage and on-street parking. As mentioned in the article, they seem to have extended 29th street through the site. Sorry for the quality, I screenshotted the images off of the City Council work session video. I've posted the link to the video below if you want to get a deeper picture. At the time, they were leaning towards Option 1.
If built out as described, it will add a some nice density to that end of Downtown, especially once CWI gets built out.

Site Plan - Option 1

Massing Option 1

Massing Option 2

Overall Aerial View

Internal Aerial View

Corner Street View

Internal Street View

I've attached the link to the video file.
Source: http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...Format=Minutes

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 8:52 PM

Thanks for posting this TVurban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
I've been sitting on these for a couple of months now, and with the article, I figured they could be posted. This is Local Constructs conceptual idea for the 30th and Main site that they presented to the City Council on Dec 8th. At the time, their intent was for a grocery store, office/retail and housing units. They also included a parking garage and on-street parking. As mentioned in the article, they seem to have extended 29th street through the site. Sorry for the quality, I screenshotted the images off of the City Council work session video. I've posted the link to the video below if you want to get a deeper picture. At the time, they were leaning towards Option 1.
If built out as described, it will add a some nice density to that end of Downtown, especially once CWI gets built out.

Site Plan - Option 1

Massing Option 1

Massing Option 2

Overall Aerial View

Internal Aerial View

Corner Street View

Internal Street View

I've attached the link to the video file.
Source: http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...Format=Minutes

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Thanks for posting this TVurban.
I'd love to see a Natural Grocer (Vitamin Cottage) go in there. Would contribute to the eclectic nature of the area.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:38 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i've always thought that the western edge of downtown has a HUGE opportunity to re-create itself as its own unique, high-density mixed-use neighborhood for Boise.

the area between whitewater and 14th would be great as Boise's "Brick District" filled with a heavy mix of residential along with commercial and retail. basically, like a modern warehouse district built from scratch... condos, lofts, apartments, and street-level restaurants, cafes and retail with a few open parks to break things up. include plenty of room for sidewalk cafe seating, pedestrian and bike-friendly pathways, and artwork.

buildings in that area would be 5-10 floors in height, with perhaps one or two taller condos to sell the view. and, of course, a new triple-A baseball park in the middle.

this proposal from local construct looks like it's heading in the right direction, though not as dense as i'd like to see for that area. and the design needs to be solid... they have a unique chance of jump-starting an entire high-density neighborhood in the West End if they're successful.

i just hope they don't go short and cheap. anything under 5 floors (for residential) is a missed opportunity with that location's proximity to downtown and the green belt.

Last edited by Boisebro; Mar 31, 2016 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 5:29 PM
not a cynic

Thanks for posting that TVurban, I hadn't seen it. There definitely needs to be a grocery store in the area but I don't think there's the population nor demographic to support a smaller Trader Joes/Whole Foods style grocer. This is the catch-22 of the area. More housing is needed in the area. There's already Cash n Carry but it's very limited for the average retail customer. People living closer to State St, it's just easier for them to go to Albertson's. But we all know Albertson's is too expensive.

My proposal, a totally new concept to Boise, build a Winco on that lot with housing above. Not sure if it would work. Everyone is going to gasp, but how about a Wal-Mart neighborhood store with housing above? However, I think WM needs 40,000 SF and there probably would not be enough land for parking even considering the P2 overlay.

Also, reconnect 23rd with River. This seriously needs to be considered but I've never heard anyone mention it. This would make it much easier for the River St area residents to come over to a west downtown grocery and avoid using overburdened Front/Myrtle for travel to/from Winco.

Rumor: CWI has closed on the Bob Rice Ford property. Cannot confirm. But the Main Auction's auto auction has moved as well as Davey Tree Service which was parking their trucks there.

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 31, 2016 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 7:19 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGlavin View Post
I'd love to see a Natural Grocer (Vitamin Cottage) go in there. Would contribute to the eclectic nature of the area.
I like this idea, or even a Northwest regional organic foods market or better yet, a local startup mart. The Whole Foods and Trader Joe's downtown and Boise Co-op are destination shopping for the valley so I can see a small neighborhood grocer doing OK in that area.

Cynic, doesn't everyone shop at Albertsons anymore? It is alot more affordable then it was in recent past. The store at 17th and State is usually busy, much more then it was a couple of years ago before Albertsons took over Safeway.

Regardless of grocery stores, the concept is great for the area.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 7:56 PM

I really like the residential portion and how it invites the public through the property rather than closing it all off. I'm always in support of any type of pedestrian form that deviates from a grid with straight sidewalks to walk from point A to B like robots. The Afton has aspects of this as well, so hopefully these sell well and set a nice precedent. The residential massing is interesting, could just use a few more floors on the corner of Whitewater and Main to create a stronger focal and entry point. Overall an exciting project to watch the start of this areas transition.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 8:09 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e69218267.html

Albertson Foundation, Boise team up to expand whitewater park

Quote:
The J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Family Foundation announced today a $3.5 million grant to finish the second phase of the Boise River Park, a gift that will further revitalize the whitewater recreation park area in downtown Boise’s West End.

The grant provides for three new play waves, a slalom course, improved river access, river hazard removal, floodway improvements, river access from Veteran’s Pond and an additional viewing plaza. The gift is part of the Albertson Family Foundation’s 2016 strategy to grant up to $12 million to help transform communities and Idaho prosper.

Combined with the revitalized Greenbelt, Veteran’s Memorial Park, Bernadine Quinn Park and Esther Simplot Park, the new whitewater park area will provide countless opportunities for Idaho’s children and families to fish, kayak, stand-up paddle board, surf, swim, walk, jog and cycle.

“Our strategy is to invest in projects and ideas that can transform communities,” said Albertson Family Foundation Executive Director Roger Quarles. “There is no doubt that this project will jumpstart the West End economically and provide world-class recreation opportunities for visitors and the more than 45,500 residents who live within walking distance of the park.”

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...erPark%20image

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 9:22 PM
not a cynic

Cottonwood: Albertson Foundation, Boise team up to expand whitewater park

Hah, beat me to it. Great timing for the thread. In somewhat amusing related news, from the way I'm reading the BRP Facebook page, kayakers and surfers are at odds with wave sharing.

https://www.facebook.com/boiseriverpark/

More news: My sources say paving will start this week or next for the roads and parking inside Esther Simplot Park. Some work has been done next to IRS. Footbridge and car bridge appear nearly complete. Farmer's Union Canal box culvert appears complete. Unfortunately, it seems that no passage via watercraft will be possible between Esther's Pond and Quinn's Pond. It's looking like a mandatory portage. Also, gabion baskets are being placed along the greenbelt to shore up the eroding bank along Quinn's Pond. I told them to fence that off.

Greenbelt tunnels: Excavation for 2nd half of each tunnel is proceeding quickly at Main St, notsomuch at Fairview. Lots of stuff in the way at Fairview. I haven't heard any more about the contaminated pit behind Boise Marine.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 11:31 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Saturday

another Hyatt view most likely soon to be duplicated

Idaho Timber is all the rage

more Crane Spotting, Saturday

High Water

Last edited by Sawtooth; Apr 4, 2016 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 7:52 PM

Please tell me someone got pics of the Huey that was doing work on the roof of City Center Plaza this morning!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West