HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 2:34 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringSkylines View Post
WOW.. That is crazy. I was thinking something like 2014-2015...

2017.. Oh my. LOL.

Well they should hopefully start this year or next, the whole complex should be completed by 2017 at the latest, hopefully.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:29 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/const...wer_49193.aspx

Quote:
*The following information was last updated on February 8, 2012.

Setting steel columns, installing form work and rebar
Utilities installation
Receiving steel and concrete deliveries at Vesey Street inside fence
Crane active on site
2 WTC is expected to be complete to street level by late summer 2012.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:15 PM

I am not and have never been a fan of 2wtc design. It looks like someone took a giant saw and sheared off the top of the building. It just looks bland, like it could be any blah office tower in any generic American city. I personally think that 1wtc will show up much better if 2wtc is built much smaller than intended. Maybe it will be a good thing if 2wtc is built shorter than intended due to lack of tenants/money. Short of building two versions of 1wtc, I think aesthetically, letting 1wtc have the spotlight at the sight and not have two more tall buildings crowding it..Thats just my take..Instead of crowd 1wtc with two bland, generic-looking buildings, let it stand alone there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:39 PM
World Machine

2012 should be an interesting year - based on what I've read there will be announcements over the next few months about who will be going / occupying where. I'm sure most if not all of the major tenants seeking space have entertained the idea of leasing Downtown - and since financial players, though ideal, are not demanding large quantities of space, I would imagine eventual tenants will be non-stereotypical ones such as advertising and media companies.

The announcement with Westfield is very reassuring and confirms that there is absolute commitment to fully redeveloping the site - now that the retail is seemingly locked in, undivided attention should be devoted to securing tenants for up above.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 2:51 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I am not and have never been a fan of 2wtc design. It looks like someone took a giant saw and sheared off the top of the building. It just looks bland, like it could be any blah office tower in any generic American city. I personally think that 1wtc will show up much better if 2wtc is built much smaller than intended. Maybe it will be a good thing if 2wtc is built shorter than intended due to lack of tenants/money. Short of building two versions of 1wtc, I think aesthetically, letting 1wtc have the spotlight at the sight and not have two more tall buildings crowding it..Thats just my take..Instead of crowd 1wtc with two bland, generic-looking buildings, let it stand alone there.
Noooo. No to shortening buildings! That won't happen

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:17 AM

Quote:
I never thought i would hear that. IMO, 2wtc is the best of the wtc. It will have such a unique effect on the skyline that most buildings couldnt do. It is wide till the very top, but still thins out at the top. It also reminds me of a torch for some reason, which is a great symbol for NY(statue of liberty). I think 1wtc is sort of more generic than this, as it is sort of a strait shot to a spire, but thats not saying it isn't gorgeous.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 8:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You would be in the minority, I think. If the tower is shortened, it will be too close in height to the other 2 buildings, which will make the whole complex look underwhelming. Also, this is the most different of the 4 towers, it has an iconic presence and looks nothing like a typical American tower, that is, what typical American city has a Norman Foster suptertall?

Since they lowered WTC3, I presume there may be a good chance that WTC2 could be lowered, but it would be a travesty of epic proportions. My whole interest in the complex would evaporate in that case.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 3:29 PM

I doubt it will be shortened

One of the reasons the building is the exact height and shape it is, according to a publication, was that on Septemeber 11th the sun will line up with some key spot on the plaza. Maybe at the time the planes struck or something. The building positions, and shapes are important, because they wanted to make sure the sun would be visible from the plaza on sept. 11th. Shortening the builiding would completely change these careful calculations and planning.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:29 PM

That part about reflecting the sun onto the plaza isn't going to happen, but you're correct in that the entire site was designed with allowing sufficient light onto the plaza at all times in mind.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Joel Woolhead, taken from wtc.com

http://www.wtc.com/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:51 PM
New Yorker for life

FEBRUARY 17, 2012

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 1:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 3:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:09 AM
Grand is Golden!

Hey guys, sorry I have been out of touch for a bit on SSP, I am busy on a few things.

Speaking of which, I made some more animation goodies:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

I also uploaded some more renderings and animations on my channel (Link in my sig).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:12 AM

Since it hasn't been completed, and won't be for a while I am wondering if it's possible to put a restaurant in the upper floors of this building and to put a service elevator into this building as well. Just curious nothing else.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:18 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Since it hasn't been completed, and won't be for a while I am wondering if it's possible to put a restaurant in the upper floors of this building and to put a service elevator into this building as well. Just curious nothing else.
Possible? Sure. Likely? Not at all. There's a good chance we could get restaurant on the 2nd or 3rd floor though. If not, there will be one in 4WTC at that height.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Possible? Sure. Likely? Not at all. There's a good chance we could get restaurant on the 2nd or 3rd floor though. If not, there will be one in 4WTC at that height.
Thanks .

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:42 AM

Lightbulb 2nd floor?

Check out the Earthcam tower 3 cam that also shows this site. Also, check out page 88 on SSC, shows a pic where it appears that steel has risen to the second story above street level. Not only that but a bundle of steel is sitting on the decking on Earthcam. So what happened to capping at level 1? Can't say I never believed but progress is good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction