HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:38 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Exactly LOL. I hate Tim's everything except the steeped tea. I had a cookie and some timbits yesterday for the first time in probably a year, and they were awful. The texture/taste seemed to indicate they were days old, but the price did not.
Their filled centre cookies are really good.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:44 PM
BANNED

Oh, yes, forgot: I had one of those a few months ago and it was very good LOL.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:38 PM

I find virtually no difference between McDonalds, Tim Horton and Robin's coffee. They taste slightly different. But are just donut shop blend coffee. I also find day to day the flavor will change depending on which machines it comes out of. Some more watered down than others.

If you're really a coffee snob, you don't go to any of those places! You'll go to a local shop, or maybe starbucks, where they can make some real coffee.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Getting a little off topic now but in a recent test of Canadian fast food chicken, Subway's "chicken" was found to be 42-53% chicken, with most of the rest being soy. No other restaurant was less than 84%. That's... disgusting.
Maybe not.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/...=1489768842909

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Should be interesting.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I find virtually no difference between McDonalds, Tim Horton and Robin's coffee. They taste slightly different. But are just donut shop blend coffee. I also find day to day the flavor will change depending on which machines it comes out of. Some more watered down than others.

If you're really a coffee snob, you don't go to any of those places! You'll go to a local shop, or maybe starbucks, where they can make some real coffee.
I'm a slight coffee snob and I'll usually take Horton's over Starbucks. My work takes me all over the place and I don't always have the luxury of drinking delicious coffee. Horton's is inoffensive. Starbucks is the Michael Bay of coffee--it lacks subtlety and burns things. It's no wonder so many of their customers treat their coffees like hot milkshakes and lard them down with simple syrup and whipped oils.

And not to harp on the Broadway office crowd too much, but it does bug me when they walk past Fools and Horses in favour of Horton's. Not that they need their business, anyway. Some people really need that quadruple-doople 500 cal coffee with nicotine.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I'm a slight coffee snob and I'll usually take Horton's over Starbucks. My work takes me all over the place and I don't always have the luxury of drinking delicious coffee. Horton's is inoffensive. Starbucks is the Michael Bay of coffee--it lacks subtlety and burns things. It's no wonder so many of their customers treat their coffees like hot milkshakes and lard them down with simple syrup and whipped oils.

And not to harp on the Broadway office crowd too much, but it does bug me when they walk past Fools and Horses in favour of Horton's. Not that they need their business, anyway. Some people really need that quadruple-doople 500 cal coffee with nicotine.
I find Tim Hortons to be the most consistent coffee you can get. I don't necessarily prefer it, but you can't really avoid it, especially on road trips.

However IMO good McDonalds coffee is easily superior to standard Timmy Ho's.

But bad McD's coffee is just plain horrible (which I get about 30-40% of the time).

Robins is too hit and miss, and Starbucks is bitter.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:33 PM

The only thing with Starbucks is they can do a pour-over coffee, as opposed to straight up out of the pot. Pour-over being non-machine made coffee and pouring the hot water over the grounds. That way you know it's fresh.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Regular coffee: McD's, but I do love my Starbucks; I want coffee that can strip paint!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

This right here.

Starbucks is fine if they're the only option, and I personally prefer them to Tim's but that's not a high standard regardless.

Fools and Horses is awesome, has great coffee and the best cold brew in the city, good snacks and hell, beer, wine and most importantly, whisky. How anyone walks past it to Tim's or Starbucks is insane. During one coffee break in fall I decided to visit Fools and Horses and got and espress/sparkling water/whisky flight. What's better than that on a nice fall day on the patio?

Beyond that, if anyone wants great coffee, check out:

Parlour Coffee
Little Sister Coffee Maker
Forth Cafe
Bronuts (yes they're the donuts guys, but their coffee is top notch)
Thom Bargen's
Make Coffee and Stuff
Miss Brown's

Who did I forget? That sums up the majority of the quality options near downtown.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
The only thing with Starbucks is they can do a pour-over coffee, as opposed to straight up out of the pot. Pour-over being non-machine made coffee and pouring the hot water over the grounds. That way you know it's fresh.
Not really necessary until later in the day as the Starbucks around here tend to swap carafes pretty quickly during the morning and early afternoon... it never really has time to get old.

Personally I'm a Tim's guy, but I'll drink coffee from anywhere.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I gotta get one of those pour-over setups. That way I can make coffee with gas!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 11:44 PM

Salz has excellent coffee.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:35 AM

Not sure what was going on at City Place but at my morning coffee there were contractors taking down the hording that was covering the location where the Greek Food place was.

There were no brand signs over the counter so I am not sure if that is coming or what is going on.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:09 AM
BANNED

Tried Binh An Vietnamese on Main yesterday and was pleasantly surprised, not much in terms of decor but food was good!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
This right here.

Starbucks is fine if they're the only option, and I personally prefer them to Tim's but that's not a high standard regardless.

Fools and Horses is awesome, has great coffee and the best cold brew in the city, good snacks and hell, beer, wine and most importantly, whisky. How anyone walks past it to Tim's or Starbucks is insane. During one coffee break in fall I decided to visit Fools and Horses and got and espress/sparkling water/whisky flight. What's better than that on a nice fall day on the patio?

Parlour Coffee
Forth Cafe
Thom Bargen's
Make Coffee and Stuff
Miss Brown's

Who did I forget? That sums up the majority of the quality options near downtown.
You know what's up. That's a pretty comprehensive list of good coffee, but since Bronuts makes it, I'll petition for O Donuts too. They only serve drip coffee but they get Dogwood coffee from Forth. And their donuts are better than Bronuts.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
This right here.

Parlour Coffee
Forth Cafe
Thom Bargen's
Make Coffee and Stuff
Miss Brown's

Is Cafe Postal still around on Provencher. Liked stopping in there for coffee on the way to work. It was run by twin sisters I believe. Gave me an opportunity to shake the rust off my French as well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Is Cafe Postal still around on Provencher. Liked stopping in there for coffee on the way to work. It was run by twin sisters I believe. Gave me an opportunity to shake the rust off my French as well.
yup still there. great coffee at boucher boucher as well at tache and marion. while there pick up a frozen tortiere. probably the best I have found..

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 7:15 PM

I think McDonald's and Second Cup have the best coffee of any chain. While I drink Starbucks a decent amount, every one of their beans tastes burnt - especially the espresso. There's a big difference between a bold dark roast and burnt coffee.

I don't think anyone in the city can touch Parlour/Little Sister, or Bar Italia. Bar I honestly might be the best cappuccino in the city, and they're not pretentious about it – it's just damn good. There are definitely lots of other good places like mentioned above, but I have to say I actually hate Thom Barghen's coffee. Tastes like rubber to me; Bronuts is similar.

And yeah, Cafe Postal is still around and excellent.

The plan for F+H's location at The Forks is to do flights just like The Common. 1 bean 3 ways or 3 beans 1 way, etc.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 8:24 PM

It appears that Human Bean closed up at the downtown library. Do they still have a location at The Forks?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan