HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahshead View Post
What's the next step with this project? If I'm correct, the developer is securing funding now and if they can get that we'll break ground soon after?

Are there any dates coming up where we can expect to hear something?
Fall (2018) I think(?) for groundbreaking

No dates afiak

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahshead View Post
What's the next step with this project? If I'm correct, the developer is securing funding now and if they can get that we'll break ground soon after?

Are there any dates coming up where we can expect to hear something?
Next round of pricing has started.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:31 PM
The City

^ What does "next round of pricing" mean?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:38 PM

^Bids from subcontractors.

(...right?)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
^Bids from subcontractors.

(...right?)
Correct. Sorry should have been more clear.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:32 PM
Ω

This is going to help out this intersection so much. Not to sound rude or whatever, but people at that Chicago & State st intersection are kind of sketchy. I've seen fights and people yelling at each other often. I have to catch the bus at that stop once a week at night. I think there's some sort of shelter/rehab there. Anyway, part of the problem is that there's no retail on either side of the street on Chicago between State and Dearborn except for a barber and one Dunkin Donuts. It needs to be activated.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
This is going to help out this intersection so much. Not to sound rude or whatever, but people at that Chicago & State st intersection are kind of sketchy. I've seen fights and people yelling at each other often. I have to catch the bus at that stop once a week at night. I think there's some sort of shelter/rehab there.
It's the Lawson House YMCA

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 11:21 PM

For anyone who doesn't know, Lawson House is a SRO - the largest one in the Midwest. I used to live nearby and use that cta stop nearly everyday. At first I thought it was pretty shady and in a way it is, but if you are around there everyday you realize there's not a lot shady going on, at least by the time I moved. I only saw one really messed up thing once in 2009, but otherwise it was fine. But yes, 1CS will help out, and Lawson House as far as I know based on a few agreements isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
For anyone who doesn't know, Lawson House is a SRO - the largest one in the Midwest. I used to live nearby and use that cta stop nearly everyday. At first I thought it was pretty shady and in a way it is, but if you are around there everyday you realize there's not a lot shady going on, at least by the time I moved. I only saw one really messed up thing once in 2009, but otherwise it was fine. But yes, 1CS will help out, and Lawson House as far as I know based on a few agreements isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Yea Lawson Y is not going away, and thats ok. Im far more offend by the Asbury Plaza parking garage

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:30 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Yea Lawson Y is not going away, and thats ok. Im far more offend by the Asbury Plaza parking garage
Yeah that’s inexcusable. But I foresee a time that that will get redeveloped

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:42 PM

I lived at Delaware and State for a year when I was working the overnight shift, and the YMCA made walking to the red line a living hell. I was constantly getting accosted for change, money, even my frozen food lean cuisine dinner one time. In addition to that, I was constantly being asked if I wanted any drugs. On weekend nights and during summertime there was constant police activity due to all of the fights at McDonald’s and gangs swarming people for the old 5 on 1 attack. That was the summer where multiple people were being attacked in the Gold Coast and along the lake front by roving bands of bangers. One victim was a Japanese tourist and a doctor walking to work. I couldn’t wait to get out of there. The saddest experience was seeing two elderly men, one in a wheel chair and one with a walking cane fighting on the sidewalk and into the street at 7am. This development will hopefully clean up that intersection for good. And McDonald’s selling their land wouldn’t hurt either

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:55 PM

^ when was that? I lived right near where you did for 8 years and can only remember once or twice in that entire time when someone asked me for money. Never was offered drugs, though that happened nearly everytime I'd be on Hubbard at like 2am.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:29 PM

I doubt the mcds goes anywhere. They just redid it

and it's better since they added armed security

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
Next round of pricing has started.
are you privy to insider info to know if the development team is still aiming for a fall 2018 ground-breaking?

that initial schedule seemed a bit aggressive to me, but then i've never been involved with the development of a supertall skyscraper before, so what do i know.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Chicago’s 1930 Art Deco ‘Lawson House’ set for major overhaul

The anti-gentrifier who's saving the former Lawson YMCA

The Lawson House changed hands in 2013 and is now due to be renovated. Sounds like a cool and well-needed project to provide good quality affordable-rate housing.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
^ when was that? I lived right near where you did for 8 years and can only remember once or twice in that entire time when someone asked me for money. Never was offered drugs, though that happened nearly everytime I'd be on Hubbard at like 2am.

I lived in that low rise on the corner of chicago and state...those ymca guys hung out in the alley right beneath my window. They pissed all over and crapped, constantly saw them drinking and shooting up. Made lots of noise, cops were always going back there to get them. They sat on my front stoop and would ask me for money all the time.....it happens.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
I lived in that low rise on the corner of chicago and state...those ymca guys hung out in the alley right beneath my window. They pissed all over and crapped, constantly saw them drinking and shooting up. Made lots of noise, cops were always going back there to get them. They sat on my front stoop and would ask me for money all the time.....it happens.
Never said it didn't. Just saying that nobody ever bothered me when I lived there...for some reason.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
^ when was that? I lived right near where you did for 8 years and can only remember once or twice in that entire time when someone asked me for money. Never was offered drugs, though that happened nearly everytime i'd be on hubbard at like 2am.
2011-2012

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:33 AM

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:25 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnies23 View Post
I lived at Delaware and State for a year when I was working the overnight shift, and the YMCA made walking to the red line a living hell. I was constantly getting accosted for change, money, even my frozen food lean cuisine dinner one time. In addition to that, I was constantly being asked if I wanted any drugs. On weekend nights and during summertime there was constant police activity due to all of the fights at McDonald’s and gangs swarming people for the old 5 on 1 attack. That was the summer where multiple people were being attacked in the Gold Coast and along the lake front by roving bands of bangers. One victim was a Japanese tourist and a doctor walking to work. I couldn’t wait to get out of there. The saddest experience was seeing two elderly men, one in a wheel chair and one with a walking cane fighting on the sidewalk and into the street at 7am. This development will hopefully clean up that intersection for good. And McDonald’s selling their land wouldn’t hurt either
It's not *as* bad since then, but the panhandling and drug scene still exists. Last few summers there were guys calling out to sell weed by McDonalds, as well as squares (loose cigs). I'm guessing they sold more than that if they didn't think you were a cop. Weather hasn't been good enough lately to make things lovely, so I don't know if that's still the case this year.
[/SIZE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive