HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:41 AM
BANNED

^^^ But how are they going to afford a design that's not made of cinderblock?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:29 AM
TL;DR

It looks like they used tilt-up construction, which might provide enough savings to cover the increased cost of the roman-brick masonry, at least for their stores in high-end communities.

Many wealthy suburbs make specific demands about the architecture of individual stores. The architect's fees for these individualized designs are also significant, which is why Walgreens has a vested interest in developing a high-quality prototype store for such communities.

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 5, 2011 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:44 AM
TL;DR

Cool South Works tidbit from Blair Kamin's latest article:

Quote:
the sheer size of South Works... mandates that developer McCaffery will have to move deliberately, though he wants to make a splash this summer with a three-day rock festival that would showcase the site's over-the-water views of the city's skyline.
I wonder if he's running a new festival, or maybe he persuaded an existing festival to move? (Pitchfork, North Coast)

Either way, it's a really clever way to start etching the site into the consciousness of young Chicagoans. Hopefully the new South Shore Drive will be completed by then.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:56 PM

So I'm not sure where to post this, but why does the Trump tower leave its spire light on all night? I'm assuming they leave it on all day too actually. Its on until I can't see it anymore because it gets too bright out. Isn't this building LEED certified? Shouldn't they turn the light off after 11 like the rest of the buildings do to save electricity?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:11 AM
BANNED

^^^ Its not a LEED building and those are LED lights which use up next to no power.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:42 AM

LOL, a bunch of buildings on Oak street run their architectural lighting all night too. LEED buildings as well, but as Nowhereman pointed out, they use LED's so the energy consumption is very low. The lights also double as security lighting which can act as a replacement for conventional 24 / hour lighting that may consume more energy.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 4:59 AM
Show me the blueprints

Granted LED's use little electricity, many LED's over a long period of unnecessary usage = wasted energy and $. Turn the damn lights off!
I also can't stand it when I see malfunctioning dusk-dawn light sensors on streetlights in cash strapped cities like this one causing the lights to run in the middle of the day. Add that up in a year and you've probably just paid a city workers annual salary.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 8:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Its not a LEED building and those are LED lights which use up next to no power.
Jevon's Paradox in real life

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 2:34 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It looks like they used tilt-up construction, which might provide enough savings to cover the increased cost of the roman-brick masonry, at least for their stores in high-end communities.

Many wealthy suburbs make specific demands about the architecture of individual stores. The architect's fees for these individualized designs are also significant, which is why Walgreens has a vested interest in developing a high-quality prototype store for such communities.

Hopefully they go the extra mile and adopt this more widely than just in upscale suburbs with very strict design/material mandates......I really would like to see this design rolled out in the city......I realize that national retailers are not generally all that into spending money where they don't absolutely have to, but talk about a brand an image upgrade with the new facade aesthetics....it could have a real positive impact on the psyche of consumers with lots of discretionary spending potential (I do realize that this retail channel is more about necessities than aspirations, but still Walgreens would no doubt like to be more of a destination for a range of purchase types and categories), and thus translate into $ for Walgreens

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 6:33 AM

Speaking of retail and getting better designs for new stores, we're all aware of the reasonably good job that Dominick's has done with its new Lincoln Square and Foster/Sheridan stores. But there's an extra bit to the story that may have gone unreported -- they just up and closed the Dominick's in Riverview Plaza (Roscoe Village). Y'know, the one immediately adjacent to a 24-hour Jewel and a Walgreen's (I was always kind of impressed they were willing to go head to head in virtually the same mall).

It was one of the remaining non-renovated Dominick's, with the outdated low ceilings and glaring fluorescent lighting. So I take it as good news (so long as Dominick's is doing well generally, because I like them) because that is one dumpy, car-topian mall, and the worse it's doing, the closer it gets to some kind of redevelopment. Perhaps to coincide with the Western Avenue viaduct project.

Does anyone know anything about a relocation for that Dominick's (maybe unlikely because Target just added groceries a half-mile west of there and Jewel just doubled down on Southport a mile east of there)? Or about any future plans for Riverview Plaza?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 7:13 AM
TL;DR

I don't mind that so much. It's ugly as sin, but it's in the river corridor, which is all parks and industrial properties. It's one of the more acceptable places on the North Side for a strip center, along with the Elston corridor.

It's the awful strip center at Wellington/Ashland that I can't stand, because it's surrounded by dense residential neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 5:48 PM

^^

It appears from the Regency Centers site that a Mariano's Fresh Market (Roundy's) in going into the former Dominick's space in Roscoe Village. This would be the 3rd or 4th Mariano's under development in the city, right? The renderings (property photos tab) also show a significant facade upgrade.

http://www.regencycenters.com/retail...iverview-Plaza

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 7:41 PM

Well at least this butt ugly property is getting a facelift. It would be interesting though if the retail was stacked somewhat like the mall on Roosevelt and Canal. Your advantage is the bridge which gives sight-lines from higher up. You could still offer free parking and have even more spaces...cram more leasable space at street level, and possibly have a more attractive building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 10:31 PM
TL;DR

^^ Except the bridge will soon be ripped down. CDOT somehow figures that travel times will actually be faster without the flyover, and the people in the triangle west of Western/south of Belmont are tired of being cut off from the rest of the city.

I think they're just trying to justify being cheap.

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 11:11 PM

1-8
Greektown museum from from 90 off ramp to 290

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 11:29 PM

For what it's worth, I think that was the last remaining Dominick's that started as an Omni

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 11:59 PM

1/9 Ogden School

source: me

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 1:09 AM

Thanks for the photo updates Tungsten and Hayward.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 1:40 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
For what it's worth, I think that was the last remaining Dominick's that started as an Omni
I think the one at Riverview has always been Dominick's. You're thinking of the one at Fullerton & Clybourn (Riverpoint Center) that was built as an Omni.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I think the one at Riverview has always been Dominick's. You're thinking of the one at Fullerton & Clybourn (Riverpoint Center) that was built as an Omni.
You're right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development