HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 4:11 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post

Anyone know anything about this one 519 S Clinton?
Image from: http://www.hparchitecture.com/?page_id=60&pid=116
I got a letter concerning this property about 2 months ago (have to dig through my documents to find it). But I believe it was for a zoning change for some type of residental/commercial high-rise development. Sorry I can't give any more info about this, but if anyone else has any more information about it I'd sure like to know as well.

Especially considering the fact that I live across the street.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 10:19 AM
TL;DR

IIRC the 519 S Clinton project had some shady dealings in the background. Anybody else remember this?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
the North/Clybourn area is becoming just like the Beverly Center/Grove in Los Angeles; which is a stark contrast to the NY-like Gold Coast.
Chicago in a nutshell

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 3:03 PM

Quote:
I didn't know they were building Des Plaines in Lincoln Park?
That does look vaguely like the First National Bank Building in Des Plaines, doesn't it?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 10:09 PM

9-26 Chicago and wells.

Yippee, a gas station..

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 12:50 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
9-26 Chicago and wells.

Yippee, a gas station..
It is disappointing that it's not something else now, but it was already a gas station - this is just a rebuilt stationhouse.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It is disappointing that it's not something else now, but it was already a gas station - this is just a rebuilt stationhouse.
It's got more material reality than Ritz or Elysian

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 11:18 AM

From several days ago, but I think this is really kind of huge, even though it's a small number of people. Chicago usually attracts HQs when they're industrial, foods, services, etc., but creative jobs tend to go to NYC or LA/SF. The Onion is a national leader in what it does, so I think it's a big statement that the creatives who think up their daily topical, edgy humor will thrive in moving to Chicago as well as they have in NYC (despite separating from the ballyhooed wackiness and other inspiration of Washington Park, Greenwich Village, and the rest of the city). I know Onion's HQ is already here and it was founded nearby, but just like with Playboy, their editorial/creative staff had gone to the coasts. I haven't read all the articles and don't know whether their video production is / will be in Chicago, but it would be great if it spurs more media to locate here. Not to extrapolate from one small event, but eventually down the line one also hopes that situations like Google, deciding how much of Motorola's creatives or programmers to let remain (or increase) in Chicago, end up with similar results.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...aff-to-chicago

Onion moves editorial staff to Chicago
By: Lynne Marek September 21, 2011

(Crain’s) - The Onion is planning to move its top editorial staff from New York to the paper’s corporate headquarters in Chicago. ...

The satirical paper and website, a unit of Onion Inc., employs about 20 editorial, web and sales personnel in a Manhattan office, which was opened in 2001. Onion CEO Steve Hannah declined to comment. ...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 1:55 PM
you know where I'll be

Lakeshore East - Village Market

So I think it's something like 1 week to opening at the Village Market. Was curious if anyone has heard any recent leasing progress on the small spaces? I haven't heard about any new leases for several months - we have the supermarket, the steak joint, the nail salon, coffee shop, 2nd and 3rd restaurants (one of them the breakfast place and the other a brasserie).........has progress halted? Definitely seems like more than half of the spaces are still unspoken for (although of course by sq ftge, the leased percent is probably over 70%). I realize this is not an easy leasing market for developers, but I believe they should have been able to land some more tenants in the smaller spaces by now - this project has been in the works for a loooong time....

Still, it's an exciting time for LSE. The Village Market, the hotel in Aqua opens in 5 weeks, and imo what will be one of the best pieces of architecture in this part of the city will soon be rising in the skyline in the form of Coast.........

Is there still a school planned for LSE, or is that dead? Haven't heard a peep on that for at least a few years.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Sep 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Aside from it's location 1 block from a transit station, I actually don't mind this gas station insofar as it crams a lot of pumps on a very small site with none of that wasted dead asphalt space that most gas stations have. Gas stations are an expected part of the urban landscape but they should at least be urban in form... namely, compact, like this one.

The gas stations at Roosevelt/Wabash and LaSalle/Ontario are far, far more offensive in their respective contexts.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
The gas stations at Roosevelt/Wabash and LaSalle/Ontario are far, far more offensive in their respective contexts.
I've seen plenty just like them in Europe - these are just a fact of life I guess.

On the other hand, I have seen some incredibly compact stations in Paris, Berlin and Vienna that I doubt would ever be allowed in the US. As in one or two pumps next to a small curb lane that can hold only the cars getting fuel. No wasted space at all but the pumps were close enough to the road that a traffic accident could be devastating.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 2:53 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
I've seen plenty just like them in Europe - these are just a fact of life I guess.

On the other hand, I have seen some incredibly compact stations in Paris, Berlin and Vienna that I doubt would ever be allowed in the US. As in one or two pumps next to a small curb lane that can hold only the cars getting fuel. No wasted space at all but the pumps were close enough to the road that a traffic accident could be devastating.
I saw one in Paris that was actually underneath a cantilevered portion of a building, something I can't imagine ever being allowed in the U.S. (and as much as I like density, I'm glad that wouldn't be allowed here).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 5:43 PM
The City

Cabbies have to fill their tanks somewhere..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
From several days ago, but I think this is really kind of huge, even though it's a small number of people. Chicago usually attracts HQs when they're industrial, foods, services, etc., but creative jobs tend to go to NYC or LA/SF. The Onion is a national leader in what it does, so I think it's a big statement that the creatives who think up their daily topical, edgy humor will thrive in moving to Chicago as well as they have in NYC (despite separating from the ballyhooed wackiness and other inspiration of Washington Park, Greenwich Village, and the rest of the city). I know Onion's HQ is already here and it was founded nearby, but just like with Playboy, their editorial/creative staff had gone to the coasts. I haven't read all the articles and don't know whether their video production is / will be in Chicago, but it would be great if it spurs more media to locate here. Not to extrapolate from one small event, but eventually down the line one also hopes that situations like Google, deciding how much of Motorola's creatives or programmers to let remain (or increase) in Chicago, end up with similar results.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...aff-to-chicago

Onion moves editorial staff to Chicago
By: Lynne Marek September 21, 2011

(Crain’s) - The Onion is planning to move its top editorial staff from New York to the paper’s corporate headquarters in Chicago. ...

The satirical paper and website, a unit of Onion Inc., employs about 20 editorial, web and sales personnel in a Manhattan office, which was opened in 2001. Onion CEO Steve Hannah declined to comment. ...
Anything that pisses off New Yorkers is fine in my book. Funny how many of them forget the Onion is originally from Ann Arbor anyway.

Its been cool seeing them get a little more connected to the city through AV Club and branching out with the music fest. I do feel for the writers, as any time you have to choose between home and a job, it sucks. But that paper feels like it could run itself.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 7:22 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Funny how many of them forget the Onion is originally from Ann Arbor anyway.
Actually, it was founded in Madison, WI.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 11:33 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
And I believe its printed in Rockford.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 1:45 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
IIRC the 519 S Clinton project had some shady dealings in the background. Anybody else remember this?
Vaguely remember something along these general lines, but might not have been specific to this project.....maybe more of a story involving the players involved and their political connections/history, etc but can't recall exactly

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I knew that; I had Ann Arbor on my mind for some reason.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I knew that; I had Ann Arbor on my mind for some reason.
Went to the UW and fondly remember reading it every week.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 3:48 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Went to the UW and fondly remember reading it every week.
Same here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development