HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 8:44 PM

Vanoc to begin billing for Olympic tickets

By Bruce Constantineau
December 1, 2008 12:35 PM

Anxious Canadians hoping to attend live Olympic events will find out if they got tickets as early as today.

The Vancouver Olympic organizing committee will begin charging the Visa credit card accounts of successful ticket applicants today. All applicants will receive an e-mail by Dec. 10 at the latest, letting them know whether or not they succeeded in this first round of ticket allocation.

About 120 of 170 Olympic events were oversubscribed so a lottery process to determine the successful applicants began last Friday.

Lottery events include the opening and closing ceremonies, figure skating, speed skating and men's hockey.

Ticket prices range from $25 for biathlon and cross-country skiing to $1,118 for the opening ceremonies.

A "priority access period" — when remaining tickets go on sale to unsuccessful ticket applicants — will run from Dec. 12 to Dec. 22 before going on sale to the general public early next year.

Vanoc received more than $345 million in ticket requests during the five-week period ending Nov. 7 and expects to generate $232 million in total ticket revenues.
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
no big charge on my visa yet...
I've found over the past few months that charges are taking quite a while to actually show up on my Visa - only way to tell over the next few days is if there has been a large decrease in you "available credit”, as this will happen concurrently with the charge, even if the name/amount of the charge doesn’t show up for another week or so.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
I've found over the past few months that charges are taking quite a while to actually show up on my Visa - only way to tell over the next few days is if there has been a large decrease in you "available credit”, as this will happen concurrently with the charge, even if the name/amount of the charge doesn’t show up for another week or so.
Hey thanks for that advice... looks like I haven't been dinged by anything yet either...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:46 PM
Vancouver User

no dings yet...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:48 PM

nothing here either. Apparently we get notified by the 5th? I thought they would have charged us by now.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
nothing here either. Apparently we get notified by the 5th? I thought they would have charged us by now.

They've changed that date to the 10th I believe.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 7:27 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterchill View Post
They've changed that date to the 10th I believe.
Yes... charges apparently start December 1.

Notification of what you got on December 10 and additional tickets available on December 12.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 7:43 AM

Anyone see any dings yet?

I'm trying not to think too much either way, but you think they could just take care of things in a day or two, or give some sense of things . . . horrible little wait for something I'm feeling is a long shot to begin with.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 2:39 PM
Vancouver User

As time goes on I'm getting less and less hopeful, but they could still charge up until the 10th I think.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 5:22 PM

I wouldnt read too much in to it. I went for some tickets that were definetly not sold out and I still havent gotten a charge yet either so they must just be taking their time.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 5:17 PM

I was just charged for my full request this morning. I had requested 2 tickets to all 3 team Canada hockey preliminary games. Worked out to $153.33/ticket.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 6:49 PM
Vancouver User

Still no charges on my card, despite selecting Olympic Experience Packages with backup choices (supposedly the best way to guarantee tickets).

I also selected tickets to both the gold medal games for mens & womens hockey... of course that's a long shot.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:57 PM

I saw my "available credit" drop today by 226 dollars, equivalent to 2 tickets to a speed skating event!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:22 PM
Vancouver User

Does anyone know exactly how the "cascading" works.

I know if the highest end tickets aren't available it's supposed to then give you a shot at the next best available, but does it also give you 'less' tickets than what you ideally wanted, i.e. 2 instead of 4?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 11:51 PM

My understanding of cascading was the same number of tickets, just a lower level of ticket. I think I remember reading that, but I wouldn't claim to be 100% correct.

Nothing here so far.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 2:47 PM
Vancouver User

Well, 0 charges here. That's disappointing, I thought I had a pretty decent shot of at least one Olympic Experience Package.

Hockey tickets would have been nice, but I wasn't counting on them.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 4:32 PM

hmm I still dont have any charges either. They said they were going to charge by the 10th right? well some times those charges take a day or two to show up on your visa so it might still be coming.

I ordered a lot of bizzare tickets that almost for sure will not have sold out so I think there is still hope.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 4:45 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
hmm I still dont have any charges either. They said they were going to charge by the 10th right? well some times those charges take a day or two to show up on your visa so it might still be coming.

I ordered a lot of bizzare tickets that almost for sure will not have sold out so I think there is still hope.
I hope you're right LeftCoaster... but yeah, I don't see charges nor has my available balance decreased.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 7:10 PM
Dérive-r

My charges just showed up today but they were apparently made on the 8th so it would seem there is still hope for you all. It looks like I only got tickets for one of the two events I tried for but oh well.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 10:38 PM

I was charged for $507 on December 6. Looking at what I selected I can't figure out what the event combination would be. The email is supposed to come today, isn't it? I'm curious about what I got.

I talked to my sister yesterday and she said she got a charge of $370... the same cost as 2 tickets for the opening ceremonies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]