HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Any answers/thoughts?
They plan to destroy it. It is in real bad shape and will probably not resist to a major earthquake. ( Montreal is subject to earthquake of magnitude 6- 6.5 once every 150 years)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:18 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
kosovo was part of serbia's amazing culture and history of diversity too.
That is a completely ridiculous comparison. Canada has never waged genocide on Quebec, nor have we implaced tyrannical laws on them. Jesus. What a bunch of shit.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That is a completely ridiculous comparison. Canada has never waged genocide on Quebec, nor have we implaced tyrannical laws on them. Jesus. What a bunch of shit.
take a pill

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:47 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Yes, there are numerous discrepancies and red herrings in the comparison (which I don't want to get into, as it has gone off topic enough), but I really think you need to calm down. It's definitely a touchy issue for most, and inflammatory language doesn't help.

And Philippe, thanks for the reply. It'll be a shame to lose it, but the alternative (collapse + possible loss of life) would be far worse. When was the last big quake for Montreal? Ottawa had a decent sized one around 5-6 not too long ago I remember.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:51 PM
BANNED

the Arlington Bridge in Winnipeg is 101 years old today

from: http://peglegged.blogspot.ca/2011/04...on-bridge.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:51 PM
video et taceo

Quote:

you're looking for victim cant where there isn't any. if you think i am pulling some "big bad canada, poor defenceless quebec" shit, you're crazy. that's not how i look at it. i don't care about who injures who, or who injured who. people lie and mislead all the time about this stuff, especially when they get all full of patriotism -- the symptoms are meaningless. it's existential, not issue-based: they don't see themselves as canadians, and they didn't see themselves as serbs. everything else, the back-and-forths, the hatreds, the attempts at concession, the protests, it all comes from that.

my point was that nationalist movements are all sort of similar. it doesn't matter about what milosevic did or didn't do, there wasn't any magical point where the kosovoar albanians suddenly, like, deserved kosovo -- it just all went and happened, loosed on the tides of the passions it unleashed.

we are on the same side, politically, just not emotionally.

most multi-lingual countries have a version of what we have. the united kingdom has it within the language. separatist movements aren't rare or anything. i don't see why we always have this patriotic duty to lose our shit over them.

just as a side note, the kosovo thing was and is far stranger than the official NATO story, anyway.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:51 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
take a pill
I'll take a pill when you guys get a clue.

Congrats to the Winnipeg bridge! I've never seen it before, looks nice.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:57 PM
video et taceo

maybe just back to bridges though.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
maybe just back to bridges though.
Yep, this circular conversation seems to have run its course.

Quote:
Question though, from reading the article it says the new bridge is to replace the Champlain Bridge (another of my favourites). Are they intending to demolish the Champlain Bridge or convert it to some other use? I know Montreal has had issues in the recent past with deteriorating infrastructure; is the Champlain bridge in pretty bad shape? Just wondering because it would be a shame to lose that bridge (aesthetically speaking).

In all likelihood, the bridge will indeed be destroyed mostly because the foundations have degraded much faster than anticipated. It is unfortunate considering that the metal structure's is said to be in good condition, reason why an engineer who used to work for the Federal proposed a solution which would integrate the said metal structure. Here here is proposal, which has been hastily buried by the Transport Ministry:

http://mediasud.ca/nouvelle4733-pont...ternative.html

http://mediasud.ca/nouvelle4733-pont...ternative.html[/QUOTE]
http://www.monteregieplus.com/img_commun/2083.pdf

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:06 AM

love the arlington street bridge! drove over it today and had an extended stay as i got stuck at the red light on top before the slope down to logan! used to love going over that bridge as a kid.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:38 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
In all likelihood, the bridge will indeed be destroyed mostly because the foundations have degraded much faster than anticipated. It is unfortunate considering that the metal structure's is said to be in good condition, reason why an engineer who used to work for the Federal proposed a solution which would integrate the said metal structure. Here here is proposal, which has been hastily buried by the Transport Ministry:

http://www.monteregieplus.com/img_commun/2083.pdf[/QUOTE]

Hastily buried because it would e really expensive to try and preserve the metal portion?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:47 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The problem is that there has basically been hard "ethnocide" within Quebec against anglophones though (although I don't really think ethnocide is the appropriate word).

Interestingly enough however, an example from here... enrolment in French Immersion in Regina's school systems are up 22% in the public system and 37% in the catholic system over the last 5 years (not to mention that the Fransaskois system had to move to larger premises because they were over capacity), as was reported in the Leader Post recently. This has also been mirrored in the Saskatoon divisions I believe. Also interesting to note that English isn't the largest ethnic group in Saskatchewan, German is; however linguistically French is stronger. So obviously, although it could be doing better, French isn't fairing too poorly here.

Things would be doing better if the Quebec governments (esp. the PQ) didn't always become so adversarial. I think another issue is that many people have a problem with having a provincial party in the national parliament, whose sole intention isn't nation-building, but rather self interest or the destruction of said nation. It also doesn't help that whenever there is a chance for co-operation, Quebec seems to pull out or take the option of not joinin the discussion (prime example is the health care project that was started at the council of the federation to examine how we can improve our system). Where we could have grown together, we have grown apart because we have such a decentralized system now. I blame our politicians who try to divide and conquer instead of the strong nation-building principles that existed decades ago.
This is all very good but perhaps you and others should read up on everything that was done to suppress French in most of Canada's provinces - including yours - from the late 1800s until the 1960s and 1970s.

It is indeed a positive thing that they have been attempting to make amends over the past 20 years or so but of course it is easier to do that now that any chance of French being co-equal with English has been effectively eliminated by decades of assimilation.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I'll take a pill when you guys get a clue.

That you actually think that people who live here and have lived with the debate their entire lives (and are federalists BTW - can be clueless on the issue is baffling, and will also ensure that your frustration with the issue will continue to grow and know no end.

Basically you are setting yourself up to only get more and more pissed off.

Last edited by Acajack; Feb 6, 2013 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:07 AM
ARTchitecture

I was under the impression that the conversation was over? Guess not.

Could someone maybe post a shot of that Winnipeg bridge in length profile? It looks huge!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
you're looking for victim cant where there isn't any. if you think i am pulling some "big bad canada, poor defenceless quebec" shit, you're crazy. that's not how i look at it. i don't care about who injures who, or who injured who. people lie and mislead all the time about this stuff, especially when they get all full of patriotism -- the symptoms are meaningless. it's existential, not issue-based: they don't see themselves as canadians, and they didn't see themselves as serbs. everything else, the back-and-forths, the hatreds, the attempts at concession, the protests, it all comes from that.

my point was that nationalist movements are all sort of similar. it doesn't matter about what milosevic did or didn't do, there wasn't any magical point where the kosovoar albanians suddenly, like, deserved kosovo -- it just all went and happened, loosed on the tides of the passions it unleashed.

we are on the same side, politically, just not emotionally.

most multi-lingual countries have a version of what we have. the united kingdom has it within the language. separatist movements aren't rare or anything. i don't see why we always have this patriotic duty to lose our shit over them.

just as a side note, the kosovo thing was and is far stranger than the official NATO story, anyway.
I must say it gets a little tiring personally being ''collateral damage'' on this issue.

Especially when a lot of my political discussions on the home front are spent telling Quebecers that ROC Canadians don't all think shit like you can read on this thread.

It does, though, go a long way in explaining why my political stance is ''federalist'' as opposed to ''committed federalist''.

And our angry friends here should perhaps remember they are actually arguing with and shitting on their allies from Quebec on here. The people that would really make your blood boil in Quebec have already tuned you - and Canada - out.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I was under the impression that the conversation was over? Guess not.

!
It is odd that you would sow the seeds of a storm and then complain that the wind is messing up your hair.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:01 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is all very good but perhaps you and others should read up on everything that was done to suppress French in most of Canada's provinces - including yours - from the late 1800s until the 1960s and 1970s.

It is indeed a positive thing that they have been attempting to make amends over the past 20 years or so but of course it is easier to do that now that any chance of French being co-equal with English has been effectively eliminated by decades of assimilation.
I didn't want to get back into it, but I feel I have to address this comment.

You're being very selective; it was done against every non-English language. As soon as the immigration flood gates opened in the late 1800s from Central and Eastern Europe, French was at a disadvantage here. In fact, by the time German and Ukrainian immigrants bowled over the French population in terms of the sheer numbers that came, French hadn't even really established itself as an important language. The numbers that came even to an extent overpowered British Isles ethnicities so much so that the English language was being threatened, not by French, but by German and Ukrainian (among some others). As such, the Government started to supress all other languages (French was an afterthought at this point, if it was even a target to begin with at that time), and as a result, Ukrainian and German all but died out of regular use unless you go talk to grandparents in rural areas. As a German and Ukrainian myself, this has deprived me from learning my mother tongues through my parents, but it's the past, move on already. I have put in effort to pick the languages back up a bit, but there is no going back and changing what was done, so accept it, and try to make changes now; perpetual martyrdom does nothing.

So in terms of languages here; German, Ukrainian, and certainly Cree have a stronger case than French in terms of discrimination and forced assimilation. French was not specifically discriminated against, it was overpowered by other immigrant languages, and it was discrimination against these even "less desireable" foreign languages that French felt an indirect effect of language policies; French itself was not the main target of language policies here; it was collateral damage. The importance of French here was always much further down on the totem pole, but that's because French is about 7th in terms of ethnic numbers, ranking behind German, English, Irish, Scottish, Ukrainian, and Natives. And as Saskatchewan stagnated for decades, this is basically the proportions that have been present over the last 80 or so years (with the possible exception that French might have been higher than Native).

If you wanted French to develop co-equally in Saskatchewan, it would have also been at the expense of German, Ukrainian, and Cree, and at that point, would the French have been any better than the English in causing "soft" or "hard" ethnocide (as that other study used the term)? But then I guess, these other historically important languages don't matter right?

Or were you not aware of the other language dynamics that were present historically in my province's history?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:43 AM

guys....great canadian bridges....this french discussion is interesting, but perhaps it could be moved to an appropriate thread?

Happy 101st, Arlington Bridge! Winnipeg has some sweet bridges, and that one is also one of my fav's. Goes over the large train yards into the North End. Pretty stunning to see when crossing in person, instead of in a car though both give different experiences.

images aren't mine; top two shots are courtesy of WFP, bottom is a flickr upload from google image search

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:10 AM
Hmm....

And... without further ado... a bridge!!!

I did a search of the thread, and apparently it hasn't made it in yet... Regina's only bridge of note (they aren't particularly necessary here), the Albert Memorial Bridge:

Source = Postcard from UofA Library

You can see the obelisk type structures at the entry-points. It was built with a bit of an egyptian influenced style in the late 20s as a Depression make-work project. Sadly, the streetcar lines have all been ripped out (there was a fire in the 60s or so at Regina's storage building that destroyed basically the entire fleet, and thus officially ended street cars in Regina).

The length of the bridge is 256m... and it crosses a water span of about 8-10m... Yes... most of the "bridge" is on solid, level ground.

Some views of the detailing in the balustrades and Lamp Posts:

Source = Flickr (Daniel Paquet)

Source = Flickr (Daniel Paquet)

Definitely a decorative bridge, but it also suits the area, leading as somewhat of a "grand entrance" of sorts to the Legislature. Definitely a unique bridge in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:28 AM

that bridge is very graceful and understated. thanks for bringing some attention to it! i wish the osborne bridge over the assiniboine beside the manitoba legislature had 1/10th of the forethought put into it during its recent $20 million reconstruction..

source: http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_...960/image.jpeg

for one of the city's busiest bridges pedestrian-wise and its location, it's horribly utilitarian.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada