HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 6:59 PM
TL;DR

Interesting. Unfortunately any massive new construction will only displace the immigrant populations who can only afford "used" buildings, so the current immigrant population is a bad reason for creating an "area of focus".

Really, the only advantage is that gentrifiers might be lured by the vibrant immigrant businesses, at least until those businesses are priced out.

Side note: saw the Tysons viaduct today. That thing is MASSIVE. I love the symbolism, though... The city is reaching out a gigantic tentacle to colonize and transform a suburban hellhole.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:09 PM

Marion Barry tries to halt D.C. streetcar work (Washington Post)

Marion Barry is absolutely absurd. There is plenty to criticize the District Department of Transportation for with its 'ready, fire, aim,' approach to the planning and construction of the H Street streetcar but the tracks have already been installed on H Street and there is already hundreds of millions of dollars of construction either completed or underway in anticipation of the streetcar route.

Marion Barry tries to halt D.C. streetcar work

By Tim Craig
6/19/2012
Washington Post

"D.C. Council member Marion Barry has launched a last ditch effort to slow or derail the city’s planned street car line on H Street, arguing it’s not been well-thought out and is too expensive for the number of riders it will serve.

Last week, in an effort to push the H Street line toward its planned opening next year, Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) announced a $50 million contract to design and construct the turnarounds, overhead power system and car barn for the $200 million project. The council was expected to quickly move ahead with the contract with Dean-Facchina LLC, but Barry has filed a disapproval resolution.

Streetcars owned by the District of Columbia (Courtesy of District Department of Transportation) Council member Mary M. Cheh (D-Ward 3), chairwoman of the Committee on the Environment, Public Works and Transportation, said Barry’s resolution could delay council approval by at least 45 days. Cheh warns that could increase the price of the contract."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...bDoV_blog.html

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting. Unfortunately any massive new construction will only displace the immigrant populations who can only afford "used" buildings, so the current immigrant population is a bad reason for creating an "area of focus".

Really, the only advantage is that gentrifiers might be lured by the vibrant immigrant businesses, at least until those businesses are priced out.

Side note: saw the Tysons viaduct today. That thing is MASSIVE. I love the symbolism, though... The city is reaching out a gigantic tentacle to colonize and transform a suburban hellhole.
Most of Columbia Pike from Arlington westward has a thriving immigrant population and is currently gentrifying at the expense of some immigrant displacement, so I'd agree that as that growth heads west towards Bailey's/Skyline that we'll see a similar trend.

Bailey's might fare a bit differently because it has a lot of residential density and will stay that way. And, it doesn't have the kind of convenience that some places right on the highway or metro have, so it might have a healthy mix of gentrification and diversity that way that some places have achieved rather than being so far skewed one way or the other.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 7:33 PM
pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Meh, as it stands right now I still am unconvinced. It wouldn't seem to be justified until Columbia Pike turns into it's own Wilshire Blvd. of sorts, which had high development before the push for the new LA Purple Line...
As for Dulles Rail I think the LouCo board knows they will look bad and miss out on benefits if they nix it, so I am pretty sure it will go ahead.
Columbia Pike is already the highest ridership bus corridor in Virginia, and new development alongside it has proceeded in anticipation of further transit improvements. Wilshire's Miracle Mile, as you might remember, grew dense because it was the prototype streetcar-suburb corridor, whereas there were never streetcars on CP. CP is thus following Wilshire's transformation model, just about a century later.

As ambitious as Fairfax's intentions may be for Bailey's Crossroads and Skyline, the travel times to DC via the CP streetcar will make it not much more than a novelty for residents or visitors there. Between that area, Shirlington, and Beauregard, there's a lot of mixed-use and mid/high-density apartments with relatively poor transit service. Since I-395 already has HOV lanes, perhaps an expanded Metrobus 7 service -- a la LACMTA's Silver Line services -- could fit the bill.

MWAA has a sneaky backup plan to stick it to Loudoun commuters if the county doesn't pay for the final two stations:
http://www.wtop.com/41/2894376/MWAA-...line-for-Metro
Either they'll have to use a new Dulles Economy Parking Lot Z, which will also not coincidentally be a one-hour bus trip to the terminal/Metro, or else they'll pay airport hourly parking rates. (This, incidentally, is also why parking at Udvar-Hazy is $15: to prevent it from being used as airport daily parking.)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:06 AM
TL;DR

Payton - would you prefer an express bus option then for Columbia Pike?

Ultimately we need to get away from the concept that density has to be wedded to expensive rail systems. Certainly each existing station should develop a dense node around itself (and the DC region is well on its way), but I don't see why a Shirlington can't thrive at the intersection of two or three high-frequency bus lines that link to the rail network and to other nearby nodes. If the city is truly mixed-use, then the need for everybody to converge at the center is greatly reduced and spread across a constellation of nodes.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:10 PM

At beyonddc, I noticed a mention about the possibility of a Gallows Road light rail. A light rail line could run from Tysons to a new Potomac Yards Metro Station. It could hit Dunn Loring, Merrifield, Fairfax Hospital, Annandale, Bailey's Crossroads, and Shirlington. And maybe a North-South line that connects Wilson Blvd with Van Dorn Metro, hitting Washington Blvd, Columbia Pike, Bailey's, Mark Center, Beauregard, and Landmark.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:16 PM

@ardecila

I dunno what kind of express bus option you have in mind, but any transit with a dedicated lane will have a whole host of obstacles as far as construction is concerned. Perhaps they can get inventive with a reversible lane or something, but it's something that I think should be studied if the streetcar gets prohibitively expensive and isn't much faster than a bus. I think a dedicated articulated bus lane would be good to have on that corridor before putting any streetcar down.

I think you're right about getting away from expensive rail being the default preference no matter what, but we need to emphasize better connectivity and infrastructure to rail and highways. Shirlington's location 5 minutes from downtown and adjacent to the highway is its biggest strength. Having buses stop there is a great additional factor. But, as mentioned earlier, it's a huge pain in the ass for some places in the area like Bailey's Crossroads and Seven Corners.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 3:33 AM
pragmatist

Quote:
Payton - would you prefer an express bus option then for Columbia Pike?

Ultimately we need to get away from the concept that density has to be wedded to expensive rail systems.
No, I wouldn't prefer BRT for Columbia Pike. Arlington wants streetcar urbanism, and has pretty much maxed out the operational limits of local buses, so Arlington should build a streetcar. A streetcar works well at moving lots of people, slowly, at-grade. BRT, in order to get the speed and capacity necessary to distinguish it from local buses, requires significant grade separation (not possible on a four-lane local road). A streetcar manages the capacity easily, and the speed just fine if it's given a dedicated lane.

The difference between the Pike and I-395 corridors is primarily that 395 already has a grade separated HOV facility that a very large number of carpoolers rely upon and thus can't be replaced with rail.

I try really hard to be mode-agnostic -- I'm even going to Ottawa in a few days for the express [hah] reason to see BRT TOD! -- but it's hard to deny that rail has been able to rapidly shape development patterns in a way that even very expensive buses haven't been able to. Yes, trains are often oversold, but sometimes they're the right vehicles for the job, and particularly in capable hands like in Arlington.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:28 AM
TL;DR

You referred to the streetcar as a novelty. I guess you meant it would only deliver increased capacity, but not a vastly different user experience or vastly improved speeds.

Mega destinations like Tysons and Dulles should be on the rail network but the Purple Line seems overly ambitious when the same couple of billion dollars could fund a network of bus lanes, bus shelter/platforms, queue jump, etc. Once the regional skeleton of rail is established, you have to flesh it out with high quality bus service to truly transform the region. It's not enough to only reform land use around rail stations and leave the rest to remain an auto-oriented wasteland, nor will it ever be possible to build a rail network so dense that every location is covered.

Lest I seem hypocritical as a Chicagoan, let it be known that I support this kind of planning for all cities, but Chicago needs to have a profound culture shift before we can even start thinking this way. We're still trying to prevent gas stations and strip malls next to rail stations.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:27 PM

Yea, Columbia Pike is too densely populated and configured in such a way that BRT would be sub-optimal. Rt. 7 might be a better BRT corridor.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:13 PM

A local blogger and Greater Greater Washington contributor posted some excellent photos of Phase I of the Dulles metro extension through Tysons, to Wiehle Avenue in Reston.

http://cambronj.blogspot.com/2012/06...6-23-2012.html

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:36 PM

Capital Bikeshare seeks advertising (Washington Examiner)

Capital Bikeshare seeks advertising

July 1, 2012
Washington Examiner

D.C. is looking for companies to advertise at Capital BikeShare stations. (Graeme Jennings/Examiner)

"The District is looking for companies to advertise on Capital Bikeshare for the first time since the popular bike-sharing program started in 2010.

"It's part of our advancement toward [the] goal to being self-sufficient," said Capital Bikeshare Project Manager Josh Moskowitz. "The money we generate will go toward the program and help cover operating and maintenance costs and expanding the system."

John Lisle, spokesman for the District Department of Transportation, said Capital Bikeshare is turning a profit, at about $195,000 this year, by using only federal funds to support expenditures. The bike-sharing program, which lets riders take short trips around the city, reported almost 928,000 trips for the first half of the year..."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/capita...rticle/2501113

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
A local blogger and Greater Greater Washington contributor posted some excellent photos of Phase I of the Dulles metro extension through Tysons, to Wiehle Avenue in Reston.

http://cambronj.blogspot.com/2012/06...6-23-2012.html
Nice to see an extensive photo update of the silver line progress. I actually thought it was a little further along, but I'm happy to see it coming together nonetheless. Having said that, boy do those columns and elevated rails look behemoth in Tysons. I guess the most important detail is that the area will have high capacity rail rapid transit soon, but it certainly seems unfortunate the final decision wasn't a subway rather than elevated (though I do enjoy the view offered by elevated transit as opposed to being in a tunnel). Hopefully future development & the reshaping of Tysons will be able to minimize the way the elevated rail seems to "loom" over the area rather than fit nicely into the overall landscape.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Yeah I thought the same thing. I'm wondering after seeing the imposing scale and visual impact the elevated structure has, if some of the local officials and stakeholders are having second thoughts about not insisting on a Tysons tunnel. I also cant help but think that maybe some grace could have been added into the elevated structure had the support columns and girders had a more artfully designed and integrated appearance.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 12:08 AM
TL;DR

It's interesting to look at Miami, where underground construction wasn't feasible. Harry Weese insisted that the tracks be built on separate, unlinked viaducts so each would be as slender as possible and allow light to the ground. He also insisted on standardizing column spacing to get the greatest savings from prefabrication. A similar approach might have really benefitted in Tysons.

I do not like how the power supply is strapped to the outside of the columns - it looks really vulnerable to sabotage or vandalism, so WMATA will probably insist that the land beneath the tracks be fenced off instead of landscaped and opened for public use like a great city should do.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 7:00 PM

Loudon County Votes Yes on Silver Line

Quote:
Loudoun County Supervisors have voted to remain in the Dulles rail project, ending months of debate and uncertainty about whether the county would keep its commitment to the Silver line.

Lawmakers approved the project, which requires a $270 million investment by Loudoun, by a narrow margin of 5-4. Supervisors Suzanne Volpe, Geary Higgins, Janet Clarke and Eugene Delgaudio voted against remaining a part of the Silver line.

The board also voted 7-2 to implement special taxing districts around the future Metro stops in the county to help fund its financial commitment and ongoing maintenance funding.

It was unclear whether the county would opt in until last Friday when Supervisor Ken Reid changed his position after the board decided to create special tax districts around the future Metro stops west of the airport. His support was decisive in forging a majority in favor of Metro rail to Dulles.

A no vote would have delayed the project by at least 18 months, but now the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority can proceed with putting out requests for bids, and this fall is expected to begin setting the higher toll rates on the Dulles Toll Road.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 7:47 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
It's interesting to look at Miami, where underground construction wasn't feasible. Harry Weese insisted that the tracks be built on separate, unlinked viaducts so each would be as slender as possible and allow light to the ground. He also insisted on standardizing column spacing to get the greatest savings from prefabrication. A similar approach might have really benefitted in Tysons.

I do not like how the power supply is strapped to the outside of the columns - it looks really vulnerable to sabotage or vandalism, so WMATA will probably insist that the land beneath the tracks be fenced off instead of landscaped and opened for public use like a great city should do.
No kidding! In Seattle, someone already stole something like 4.2 miles worth of copper electrical grounding wire for the first (and only) section of Seattle light rail. Apparently it weighed about 35 tons! Gotta protect your assets.

http://seattletransitblog.com/2012/0...len-from-link/

Also, ditto on the design. That new elevated line is a BEHEMOTH. all caps, too.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 9:11 PM

Some Loundoners still believe that this is a boondoggle benefiting only "3" percent of the county. That surprises me as I thought most of the population was in the Eastern portion. I believe that the new Republican board was part of an anti growth sentiment but the market has spoken.

Better they focus growth along metro and certain corridors rather than county wide like Fairfax County did.

I think that in time, people will come around.

Still opponents have reasonable basis for doubt about Metro, mainly overdevelopment. In order to stem that TOD must be heavily invested in while leaving as much as the western portion of the county as country as possible.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Some Loundoners still believe that this is a boondoggle benefiting only "3" percent of the county. That surprises me as I thought most of the population was in the Eastern portion. I believe that the new Republican board was part of an anti growth sentiment but the market has spoken.

Better they focus growth along metro and certain corridors rather than county wide like Fairfax County did.

I think that in time, people will come around.

Still opponents have reasonable basis for doubt about Metro, mainly overdevelopment. In order to stem that TOD must be heavily invested in while leaving as much as the western portion of the county as country as possible.
I have said this before but I am very mixed about this extension past Dulles. I fully support the extension to Tysons, Reston, and Dulles but I don't see the value of spending $1B - $2B to build this past Dulles. I understand that billions of dollars have already been spent in the expectation of the complete Phase II of the Silver Line and that complex financing agreements might have been jeopardized if Loudon County opposed this.

There are huge unmet capacity needs in the inner counties and the region's core that WMATA should be focused on instead of spending another one or two billion dollars to extend the Silver Line and have stations be surrounded by huge parking garages low/medium-density suburban town centers.

In Northern Virginia alone, the streetcar on Columbia Pike in Arlington, the streetcar connecting Arlington and Alexandria, the Potomac Yards metro station, investments towards high speed rail for the DC - Richmond corridor would have all been better investments than building the Silver line past Dulles.

In the most recent issue of Access magazine, published this week, Robert Cervero has an article about the relationship between density and transit ridership and cost-effectiveness of transit investments. You need to have very high investment for investments in heavy rail to be cost-effective. Unless you're planning signficant development (i.e. H Street corridor, Tysons, etc...) around the stations, then other modes should be selected. You have to match the mode to the density and geography.

Transit and the “D” Word
http://www.uctc.net/access/40/access...ddensity.shtml

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 10:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
the Potomac Yards metro station
What's the latest cost figure on this? I really don't understand why they don't just build the damn thing. It's got to be the most hand-wringing over an infill station I've ever seen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation