HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

View Poll Results: This was 13-years in the making...was it worth it?
Yes 74 96.10%
No 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 5:15 AM

Did anyone notice how NBC's coverage of the Vancouver Games ended right after Michael Buble's segment? There was no goodbye from Bob Costas, there were no closing credits, no montages, nothing. Between the end of their coverage of the 21st Olympic Winter Games were commercials transitioning the night's entertainment to a marriage referee reality show.

Good job, NBC. *clap clap clap*

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 5:31 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Did anyone notice how NBC's coverage of the Vancouver Games ended right after Michael Buble's segment? There was no goodbye from Bob Costas, there were no closing credits, no montages, nothing. Between the end of their coverage of the 21st Olympic Winter Games were commercials transitioning the night's entertainment to a marriage referee reality show.

Good job, NBC. *clap clap clap*
What you fail to realize is that after the Marriage Ref, NBC showed the rest of the closing ceremony and concluded with an extended, beautifully-produced and heart-wrenchingly emotional final montage (which included the most poignant Canadian moments of the Games too) and the closing credits. After that, they showed the entire ceremony from start to very finish again.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 2, 2010 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What you fail to realize is that after the Marriage Ref, NBC showed the rest of the closing ceremony and concluded with an extended, beautifully-produced and heart-wrenchingly emotional final montage (which included the most poignant Canadian moments of the Games) and closing credits. After that, they showed the entire ceremony from start to very finish again.
o_O....who the hell does that?!!! bah...i really need to see that, hopefully it ends up on torrent.

After the Conan O'Brien stunt and this, I have even less respect for the peacock. Granted, they've shown beautiful images of the city...but that's expected for every Olympics they cover.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 6:11 AM
ON3P Skis

I'm a little disappointed there wasn't a "fuck ya!" option for this poll. lol.

So yes, it was totally 100% worth it. I think it was an unbelievable success, and it could have been even better. Kumartashvili's death was a horrible and I believe preventable occurrence. I don't think the course's speed or difficulty had to be changed, but the way the last corner was designed without higher walls AND padded steel supports was tragic mistake. Perhaps it wouldn't have prevented injury, but it would have prevented death. It was a shame we had to dumb down the course as much as we did (over 5000 sliders went down the track before Nodar without much incident) but it had to be done. Beyond that the other issues were quite minor. The buses from mountain venues were poorly organized at best, and the fact that after building an unbelievable huge grandstand stadium at Cypress they couldn't extended the platforms another 50-100 feet or so for the standing room spectators was just plain dumb. I also wish the Bay could have produced more Olympic merchandise. The half-assed stuff they brought out a couple days in (due to being sold-out of everything sweet) was a bit of an insult. I can understand not expecting certain numbers, but the same stuff sold out early at Christmas time as sold out early during the days leading up to the games. Could they not have seen that coming?

Anyways, I focus on what could have gone better because focussing on what went well would take hours. John Furlong deserves the Order of Canada for the work he did putting on our games. It may not at the end of the day make money for Vancouver/BC/Canada or even break even, but it brought this country together like I've never seen in my lifetime (however short, 26 years). I am sad the games are over as I missed going to many things (LiveCity Yaletown, Holland House, the Russian Tall Ship to name a few), but also somewhat glad as I am sick due to late nights, beer, yelling and cheering at events. I also have an "Olympic-sized" credit card bill. lol.

I hope to see another Winter Games in Canada in my lifetime. I know we have to share and all, but I'd really love it to be in Vancouver again.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 6:34 AM

This games has done more for this country than anything that has happened in the last forever. What a way to unite a nation. Canada has become the popular brand around the world.

Btw, just watching CTV news: 27 million, not kidding, 27 million people in canada were watching Crosby and the team bring it home. Just remarkable. All the numbers are staggering, 150 - 200,000 people in downtown vancouver, another 75 to 100,000 in T.O.

Amazing. The most important thing to happen to our nation in our lifetimes.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
CTV actually had the best spot. right on north/east corner. problem is they decided to cover the view with that giant TV screen which was a shame. you only got the good view when they moved over to the couch.

sidenote to CTV. the fake TV fireplace was really cheesy. if your going to do that, at least go for a high-res HD version of a flame. not the low-res pixelated version we saw on TV..
I loved Colbert last week. The flat-screen TV in the fireplace showing the animated fire on continuous loop was used to switch to the 'live-via-satellite-from-Vancouver' camera to interview a few of his guests who couldn't get to the studio.
Extra Cheezie with a smirk.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:09 AM

Who's going to be surprised about the Olympic Baby boom before Christmas?
(other then some new grammas and granpas)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:11 AM

NBC's coverage had some different angles to what CTV showed at the closing - plus NBC had their cameras in with the US athletes at both opening and closing

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
I'm a little disappointed there wasn't a "fuck ya!" option for this poll. lol.

So yes, it was totally 100% worth it. I think it was an unbelievable success, and it could have been even better. Kumartashvili's death was a horrible and I believe preventable occurrence. I don't think the course's speed or difficulty had to be changed, but the way the last corner was designed without higher walls AND padded steel supports was tragic mistake. Perhaps it wouldn't have prevented injury, but it would have prevented death. It was a shame we had to dumb down the course as much as we did (over 5000 sliders went down the track before Nodar without much incident) but it had to be done. Beyond that the other issues were quite minor. The buses from mountain venues were poorly organized at best, and the fact that after building an unbelievable huge grandstand stadium at Cypress they couldn't extended the platforms another 50-100 feet or so for the standing room spectators was just plain dumb. I also wish the Bay could have produced more Olympic merchandise. The half-assed stuff they brought out a couple days in (due to being sold-out of everything sweet) was a bit of an insult. I can understand not expecting certain numbers, but the same stuff sold out early at Christmas time as sold out early during the days leading up to the games. Could they not have seen that coming?

Anyways, I focus on what could have gone better because focussing on what went well would take hours. John Furlong deserves the Order of Canada for the work he did putting on our games. It may not at the end of the day make money for Vancouver/BC/Canada or even break even, but it brought this country together like I've never seen in my lifetime (however short, 26 years). I am sad the games are over as I missed going to many things (LiveCity Yaletown, Holland House, the Russian Tall Ship to name a few), but also somewhat glad as I am sick due to late nights, beer, yelling and cheering at events. I also have an "Olympic-sized" credit card bill. lol.

I hope to see another Winter Games in Canada in my lifetime. I know we have to share and all, but I'd really love it to be in Vancouver again.
They were likely surprised by the success of the mittens &tc., and had to re-order from the chinese factories, load the containers, ship them over, unload to their warehouses across the country & re-stock the shelves. This takes months to do in normal circumstances, but then you throw in having the chinese factories shutting down for Chinese New Years, that really gums up production. There was little time between sell-out in Christmas and Olympics starting to get the orders made & delivered.

And lets not forget the torch relay starting in October, where every town & city that the torch appeared had a rush of people to their local Bay to get the iconic mittens.

I'm waiting to see the article in "Shipping and Receiving Monthly News" on how they were able to cope with the daily changing demands for the Olympic souvenirs across the country.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 9:11 AM

i was watching on one of the news reports about the mittens - they were originally going to order 300,000 than someone said no it should be 600,000 at least

in the end they ended up with 3,000,000

i saw some poor red mittens all trampled on granville street sunday night

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i was watching on one of the news reports about the mittens - they were originally going to order 300,000 than someone said no it should be 600,000 at least

in the end they ended up with 3,000,000

i saw some poor red mittens all trampled on granville street sunday night
How soon before Sumi et.al. are being used to grab lint and spiderwebs from under the couch, or be used to clean up spills on the table? Are they at the 'bottom of the toy chest' and 'dog chew toy' stages of popularity yet?
Maybe next week?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 9:30 AM

i saw lots of the mascot toques during the games they were very cute nicely done

i heard that the shark club on georgia was pulling in between $60,000 & $80,000 each day during the games

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 1:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
The Canada Place sails are an iconic landmark...it reminds me of CBC's set for Sydney 2000. They had a panoramic window backdrop of the Sydney Opera House.

Keep in mind that there were three main channels broadcasting the Games: CTV, Sportsnet, and TSN. CTV and TSN had sails while Sportsnet had the rings and the inlet/mountains.
You would think that the convention centre would be our landmark, but you are right it's Canada Place. It is still as vital now as it was when it was first built. I also like that its unique and not trying to emulate anywhere else.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 3:14 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Apparently the Korean Olympics committee filed an official complaint against the Olympics broadcasting service for aiming their cameras too much on the Japanese speedskaters, and not enough on the Korean. So you can see how this can be contentious.
Eh? Man oh man... why does this not surprise me? Maybe because Korea was tied with China for the Boringest speedskating outfits ever?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
You would think that the convention centre would be our landmark, but you are right it's Canada Place. It is still as vital now as it was when it was first built. I also like that its unique and not trying to emulate anywhere else.
I'd say the convention centre is too new to be a landmark. Maybe in the future. Besides the fact that because the studios were in the Convention centre that means it can't be a land mark on the TV

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 7:17 PM

I think this video of the sound of when Team Canada captured the gold says it all. It was damn well worth every penny spent to bring these games here:
http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2010...by-scored.html

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Eh? Man oh man... why does this not surprise me? Maybe because Korea was tied with China for the Boringest speedskating outfits ever?
Must have been because the cameramen though the Japanese outfits were see-thru:
http://www.chinasmack.com/pictures/j...ing-underwear/

(They weren't, it was part of the fabric)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 9:11 PM
Hello World

We won gold medal in men's hockey, so now everybody thinks it's TOTALLY worth it

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 10:27 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
I'd say the convention centre is too new to be a landmark. Maybe in the future. Besides the fact that because the studios were in the Convention centre that means it can't be a land mark on the TV
Much as I appreciate the new convention centre, there is nothing iconic or eye-catching about it. That includes the green roof. Our icons are stills the Canada Place sails, the Lions Gate Bridge, and the peaks across the inlet.

I thought the sails made for a great backdrop on Brian William's CTV set - especially when he was announcing gold after gold after gold in the final days of the Games.

Another icon that I constantly noticed in international coverage... love it or hate it, and most of us hate it... the steam clock! For some reason, the foreign press just ate it up - it was in plenty of Games-related photos and video coverage.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Much as I appreciate the new convention centre, there is nothing iconic or eye-catching about it. That includes the green roof. Our icons are stills the Canada Place sails, the Lions Gate Bridge, and the peaks across the inlet.

I thought the sails made for a great backdrop on Brian William's CTV set - especially when he was announcing gold after gold after gold in the final days of the Games.

Another icon that I constantly noticed in international coverage... love it or hate it, and most of us hate it... the steam clock! For some reason, the foreign press just ate it up - it was in plenty of Games-related photos and video coverage.
Be great when the photothreads start coming in !!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]