HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 6:25 AM

in certain cases yes. motor vehicles are highly regulated because they have the potential to cause serious damage and loss of life. bikes are a lot different from a car. first off they are much more maneuverable and nimble than a car. they also do not have the ability to cause nearly as much damage.

bikes are also human powered. it takes a lot of energy to stop and then start again at every block. in a car its as easy as gas, break. im not saying that bikes should never have to stop, but minimizing stops helps me to make good time, and im not endangering anyone else's life.

heres an example. eastbound at 10th and manitoba there is a 4 way stop followed by a block of moderate grade uphill. if i roll up to the stop at 10kmh and the intersection is clearly vacant then i can start hammering and get my speed up to about 25kmh for the uphill climb. if i have to stop at the sign. which i would do if there were potential hazards such as a car, pedestrian, other cyclist, etc. if i had to stop i would probably have to climb the hill at about 5kmh as i wouldnt have enough time to build momentum before the grade steepens. this means that i have to go much slower and use more energy. its a loose loose situation. of course its the right thing to do if theres a potential road space conflict, but when theres not, stopping is next to futile.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure