HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 4:37 AM
dharper dharper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Surrey
Posts: 169
216th Interchange/Highway 1 Improvements

Does anyone have any information on when this project is going to start? The information I could dig up was the beginning of 2016, and the Summer/Fall of 2016. It is still the Fall, but I can't find any information on the project, other than people complaining about it, from the last year.
I have seen the surveyors out around 216th on Hwy 1, again in the last week, and one of them was carrying a shovel. Hopefully they were uncovering an overgrown survey point for construction to start.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 8:22 AM
Marshal Marshal is offline
from the inside out
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Does anyone have any information on when this project is going to start? The information I could dig up was the beginning of 2016, and the Summer/Fall of 2016. It is still the Fall, but I can't find any information on the project, other than people complaining about it, from the last year.
I have seen the surveyors out around 216th on Hwy 1, again in the last week, and one of them was carrying a shovel. Hopefully they were uncovering an overgrown survey point for construction to start.
I have no real answer for you, except that, if survey work is being done in a major way (have you seen them in one spot or all over?) it means that the design process is far from complete - the design team would be waiting for the survey dwgs in order to push the conceptual design drawings forward towards construction documents. For large but simple civil work, this need not take more than a few months.

And no, construction never begins with a surveyor and his one trusty shovel.
__________________
. . . the third eye squirms when you do that . . .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 10:03 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24,993
The MoTI website only has the discussion Guide from March 2016 - which has diagrams of the layout.

http://engage.gov.bc.ca/highway1and216/abouttheproject/

Strange that the diagrams only show 2 general purpose eastbound lanes when the write-up says they'll be adding one (presumably to be 3 general purpose eastbound lanes). The diagrams show 3 westbound general purpose lanes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 4:22 AM
dharper dharper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Surrey
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I have no real answer for you, except that, if survey work is being done in a major way (have you seen them in one spot or all over?) it means that the design process is far from complete - the design team would be waiting for the survey dwgs in order to push the conceptual design drawings forward towards construction documents. For large but simple civil work, this need not take more than a few months.

And no, construction never begins with a surveyor and his one trusty shovel.
I forgot to mention in this thread(I did in the closed Port Mann Hwy1 thread), the surveyors were out every day, for several months starting in December last year. Then there was nothing for the summer months. And now they have been back for several days now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 9:36 AM
Marshal Marshal is offline
from the inside out
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
I forgot to mention in this thread(I did in the closed Port Mann Hwy1 thread), the surveyors were out every day, for several months starting in December last year. Then there was nothing for the summer months. And now they have been back for several days now.
Again, I don't know this project, but your description makes sense. They were out first to gather all relevant information required for the design, then there was design time (and a lot of other tasks), and recently they could be out to get information specific to the design that was developed: checking locations and their local geology, checking bearing capacities, checking extents and volumes of material that may need to be removed, and so on.
__________________
. . . the third eye squirms when you do that . . .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 2:53 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,372
I heard work was to begin in the fall. Hope it goes forward, it is desperately needed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 4:02 PM
ConventionalMan's Avatar
ConventionalMan ConventionalMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Somewhere out there, driving a bus.
Posts: 26
Last I heard from a neighbor, it's still going forward. And still planned to be complete by Fall 2019. I live about 2 blocks west of 216th north of the freeway and will benefit DIRECTLY from an easier and quicker access route to HWY1.

However, having said that, I can see the uproar over changed (?) plans causing grief. 216th north of Hwy1 is nothing more than a dead end, 2 lane road until you get to 88th. I can see how that becoming a noisy access to the freeway would upst people, plus the farmland/acreage east of 216th at that point makes things pretty peaceful. Then it gets much wider, future four lanes wide by the looks of it, up to 96th, then dead end again. One of the schools mentioned is already on a busy road too (88th and 216th)

I already hear the freeway traffic (plus trains along Glover Road and Yeomans Cres - both a long way away) most days, depending on the wind direction, and it blends in after a while. The homes nearest HWY1 already have this noise, plus mostly back onto 216th so I don't see safety being a concern. Also, sound walls. The only thing I can see happening is people short-cutting through the Forest Hills subdivision and creating hazards there. Perhaps traffic calming (bumps?) can be used there along Telegraph Trail.

We bought here 10 years ago and had an idea that interchange would happen. The plans weren't solid but realistically its not hard to figure out where that future overpass would be located. Logically, that's where it fits. That's why I can't figure out why everyone seems so surprised about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 4:32 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConventionalMan View Post
Last I heard from a neighbor, it's still going forward. And still planned to be complete by Fall 2019. I live about 2 blocks west of 216th north of the freeway and will benefit DIRECTLY from an easier and quicker access route to HWY1.

However, having said that, I can see the uproar over changed (?) plans causing grief. 216th north of Hwy1 is nothing more than a dead end, 2 lane road until you get to 88th. I can see how that becoming a noisy access to the freeway would upst people, plus the farmland/acreage east of 216th at that point makes things pretty peaceful. Then it gets much wider, future four lanes wide by the looks of it, up to 96th, then dead end again. One of the schools mentioned is already on a busy road too (88th and 216th)

I already hear the freeway traffic (plus trains along Glover Road and Yeomans Cres - both a long way away) most days, depending on the wind direction, and it blends in after a while. The homes nearest HWY1 already have this noise, plus mostly back onto 216th so I don't see safety being a concern. Also, sound walls. The only thing I can see happening is people short-cutting through the Forest Hills subdivision and creating hazards there. Perhaps traffic calming (bumps?) can be used there along Telegraph Trail.

We bought here 10 years ago and had an idea that interchange would happen. The plans weren't solid but realistically its not hard to figure out where that future overpass would be located. Logically, that's where it fits. That's why I can't figure out why everyone seems so surprised about it.
Look at 216 Street north of 88 Avenue and 96 Avenue. All they really need to do is install the median, ban the parking, and paint the lines to have 4 lanes total. It's just as wide from curb to curb as it is on 88 Avenue. It's actually a truck route and part of the Major Road Network at this point (although Trucks never would have a use to go on it).

You can also see on the northwest corner of the future interchange that they protected areas significantly for future ramps. That's why houses don't back onto the highway by 216 Street the same way as 208 Street.

I used to live really close to Walnut Grove Drive and 88 Avenue, but in the last month, packed up and moved back to Ontario. Was extremely excited for the interchange to go in, and I'm sure the outcry from resident's wasn't strong enough to change anything since it's in the township and ministries plans and always has been for the last decade or two at least. Residents upset should have done their due diligence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 5:41 PM
proudcanuck's Avatar
proudcanuck proudcanuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Look at 216 Street north of 88 Avenue and 96 Avenue. All they really need to do is install the median, ban the parking, and paint the lines to have 4 lanes total. It's just as wide from curb to curb as it is on 88 Avenue. It's actually a truck route and part of the Major Road Network at this point (although Trucks never would have a use to go on it).

You can also see on the northwest corner of the future interchange that they protected areas significantly for future ramps. That's why houses don't back onto the highway by 216 Street the same way as 208 Street.

I used to live really close to Walnut Grove Drive and 88 Avenue, but in the last month, packed up and moved back to Ontario. Was extremely excited for the interchange to go in, and I'm sure the outcry from resident's wasn't strong enough to change anything since it's in the township and ministries plans and always has been for the last decade or two at least. Residents upset should have done their due diligence.
Every streetlight from 96th up to 88th have parking signs that read "Temp Parking Area Future Travel Lane" and these signs have been there for years. They can be seen from google streetview.

IMO if you live that close to a freeway as that you should expect that there will be upgrades to it. Trying to have the project scrapped has no benefit to the majority. Work with the MOTI to have issues addressed and help benefit you area. Anyone who has lived in the Walnut Grove/Yorkson/Fort Langley area in the past 10 years has seen the area spread east and it was just a matter of time before this was to happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 5:54 PM
ConventionalMan's Avatar
ConventionalMan ConventionalMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Somewhere out there, driving a bus.
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudcanuck View Post
Every streetlight from 96th up to 88th have parking signs that read "Temp Parking Area Future Travel Lane" and these signs have been there for years.
Yep, I forgot to mention those signs too...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 9:01 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,372
The engagement summary is out, plus a final design map:

http://engage.gov.bc.ca/highway1and2...ummary-report/

Looks like this will start construction soonish.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 1:57 AM
Cypherus's Avatar
Cypherus Cypherus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
The engagement summary is out, plus a final design map:

http://engage.gov.bc.ca/highway1and2...ummary-report/

Looks like this will start construction soonish.
Thanks for sharing. The eastbound off ramp looks short and I can see the intersection causing backups during rush hour where it can pour onto into eastbound traffic on Hwy 1. I was hoping the MoT would acknowledge the same issue of westbound traffic on Hwy 1 queuing during rush hour to get off 176th to take the SFPR.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 11:27 PM
dharper dharper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Surrey
Posts: 169
Finally got an update email. Here is the link enclosed.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...highway1-216th
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:08 AM
fredinno fredinno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 296
I'd rather see a 4-lane overpass on 208 first. The land on both sides of 216 are still too low density to justify it. Meanwhile, 208 is bursting at the seams. I'd wait a bit longer while Willowby develops some more.

A Bike Lane along Telegraph Trail and the new 216 would be fine as well. Pretty nice to bike up that route (better than 88 and 212 or 208, at least), except that one part that goes uphill right up to 88 from the North.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:54 AM
urbancanadian urbancanadian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 648
^^Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
I'd rather see a 4-lane overpass on 208 first. The land on both sides of 216 are still too low density to justify it. Meanwhile, 208 is bursting at the seams. I'd wait a bit longer while Willowby develops some more.
I hear you but there's already a business park and retail development proposed at the interchange. Once this is built there won't be a whole lot more development east of 208th Street. Much of the Williams area is planned to remain as is.


http://form.ca/hwy1_216street.pdf

There is also an arterial road planned to run along 80th Avenue from 216th Street, which will turn south onto 212th and eventually connect with 208th. This will relieve some of the pressure from 208th Street once it's built. Here's a quick map showing the new arterial curving south at 80th & 212th, with 80th meeting it in a T-intersection.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:17 AM
flipper316 flipper316 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
^^Thanks for the update.



I hear you but there's already a business park and retail development proposed at the interchange. Once this is built there won't be a whole lot more development east of 208th Street. Much of the Williams area is planned to remain as is.


http://form.ca/hwy1_216street.pdf

There is also an arterial road planned to run along 80th Avenue from 216th Street, which will turn south onto 212th and eventually connect with 208th. This will relieve some of the pressure from 208th Street once it's built. Here's a quick map showing the new arterial curving south at 80th & 212th, with 80th meeting it in a T-intersection.

Good lord that aerial photo is depressing to look at will all that sprawl along 208. Would it kill them to at least leave some of the greenery for a a few sizable parks or greenways. Nothing left. Oh yeah and let's improve traffic flow by adding more ligths instead of roundabouts or something. Yawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 8:06 AM
urbancanadian urbancanadian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 648
To be fair, it could very well end up being a roundabout that's built there. I have no idea what the plan is other than the rough route. EDIT - You're probably referring to the first pic.

I also came across this on the Township of Langley's website. Looks like 80th Avenue will be extended east to Glover Road in conjunction with watermain construction:


http://www.tol.ca/Current-News-Initi...pital-Projects
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:47 PM
fredinno fredinno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Good lord that aerial photo is depressing to look at will all that sprawl along 208. Would it kill them to at least leave some of the greenery for a a few sizable parks or greenways. Nothing left. Oh yeah and let's improve traffic flow by adding more ligths instead of roundabouts or something. Yawn.
It would kill them. Land is expensive.

In any case, can't they build both a 208 st 4-lane overpass? It's because 208 is jammed pretty deep already. Are there plans for that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:45 AM
flipper316 flipper316 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
It would kill them. Land is expensive.

In any case, can't they build both a 208 st 4-lane overpass? It's because 208 is jammed pretty deep already. Are there plans for that?
This is BC don't bet on it. They love leaving two lane roads as is. Look at 152nd street over Highway 99. An arguably busier road and still only a 2 lane piece of shit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:47 PM
dharper dharper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Surrey
Posts: 169
Project Update

This from an email I received from TRAN 216Interchange TRAN:EX. I guess that is the name for this project.


Thanks for contacting the 216 St. Interchange and Highway 1 Project Email. Your comments have been received and recorded.

The project is currently tendered and construction is expected to begin in late March/April of 2017. Completion is scheduled for late 2019.

You can check back soon on the project website to add your email to the quarterly project update database. Visit: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...highway1-216th
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.