HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 6:52 AM

Might be old news, but noticed the RFP out for the East Entrance for Burrard Station.

http://www.translink.ca/-/media/Docu...FP%20FINAL.pdf

Quote:
3.7.6. The results of the study identified various options for increasing capacity and providing passenger
access to station platforms from the east side of Burrard. There are other possible combinations that could be developed using the same set of components – entry structures, passenger conveyance elements, tunnels – used for the concept options documented in the study.

3.7.7. The most promising options with respect to addressing vertical circulation capacity include access exclusively by elevators. The escalator options do not provide as much capacity since the escalator quantity is governed by existing site constraints – i.e. escalator footprint needs to fit within the depth of existing parking stalls.

3.7.8. The later options developed outside of the Park Place parkade and within the City of Vancouver right-of-way (options 3a, 3b, 3c) are anticipated to have less property implications and be less complex since they do not have to integrate with existing parkade structure. However, there may be more interference with underground utilities since the proposed access is more proximate, requiring substantial re-routing of utilities to accommodate the intervention

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 7:56 AM

Woah, thats a huge document... 83 pages for a relatively small project. I wonder what the RFP's for bigger projects look like . It also looks like there will be some pretty major upgrades to the station:

Quote:
3.8. Summary of Proposed Station Modifications
3.8.1. The anticipated Burrard Station modifications can be broken down into two distinct areas of
analysis:
1) New East Station Entrance
a) Provisions for a new entrance structure at grade – integrated with Park Place or standalone
within City right-of-way (sidewalk)
b) Provisions for a passenger conveyance system that:
i. meets TransLink’s accessibility guidelines; and
ii. meets or exceeds minimum capacity requirements during peak times (Level of
Service C/D)
c) Provisions for below grade platform access (tunnel(s) to both Inbound and Outbound
platform levels)
d) Provisions of Compass equipment commensurate with anticipated passenger volumes
e) Provisions for passenger amenities, including retail
f) Provisions for an ancillary area, appropriately sized for additional services (electrical,
mechanical, etc), crew room, Transit Police reporting room
2) Station Upgrades for Existing Portions of Station
a) Upgrade all existing public stairs to be code-compliant, including tread nosing, tactile
pads, handrails and guards
b) Convert exit stair into public stair according to TransLink design guidelines. This may
require reconfiguration of adjacent areas to facilitate
c) Add a down escalator to outbound level to meet TransLink accessibility objectives
d) Replace existing elevator cab with code-compliant MRL-type. Elevator shaft may need
to be modified to suit.

e) Update wayfinding signage for the station that also incorporates the proposed east station
entrance
f) Upgrade lighting throughout station to meet TransLink lighting standards
g) Upgrade PA system, including speakers
h) Replace existing ceiling metal panels with perforated metal acoustic ceiling panels
throughout station. Extent and configuration to meet station acoustic guidelines

i) Replace wall metal paneling throughout station
j) Recondition carrier rails throughout station
k) Assess service needs (mechanical, electrical, etc.) and augment ancillary spaces, as
required

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 8:13 AM

Quote:
f) Provisions for an ancillary area, appropriately sized for additional services (electrical, mechanical, etc), crew room, Transit Police reporting room
Aside from mechanical/elevator rooms, I don't understand why they'd need much ancillary space on the east side since all those rooms are already there in the existing station.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 12:52 AM
dazzle me

is translink taking down that expo legacy metal screening at all the stations?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
is translink taking down that expo legacy metal screening at all the stations?
I wish... As far as I know they're only replacing the mesh with glass panels on the stations they're doing major renos on.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 2:05 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
e) Update wayfinding signage for the station that also incorporates the proposed east station
entrance
Awww, so that means the last original train icon in the system is going to finally disappear.

Image courtesy of MIPS

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 2:27 AM

How do you even know that? Lol

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:02 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Well unless there's one hidden someplace the public isn't allowed, I have not seen another one in the six years of exploring. Just a bunch of the old arrows, Exit signs and disabled access signs.
If I ever go missing, then TransLink has determined I knew too much.

Last edited by MIPS; Dec 19, 2016 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:35 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Better contact procurement once work begins to get that little souvenir!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 6:33 AM

The Metrotown sign from the main entrance has been taken down.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 12:17 AM

Thanks for posting!

So it sounds like it'll be a standalone entrance rather than using the "stub" that exists on the existing ticketing concourse for an unbuilt tunnel across Burrard to Park Place
(i.e. since the problem is overloading the escalators shown in red, below).

So there would be new access points added to the east end of the platforms
(similar to the new entrances added to the west end of Granville Station platforms when the Dunsmuir entrance was added to that station).

I assume they are thinking from Park Place to minimize excavation, as access from Bentall V would require an underground mezzanine to get to the south side of the tunnel (but it's not clear from the diagram).
(presumably they can't do a "Spanish solution" (new northside platforms) since the north wall of the tunnel would be required for support).

http://www.translink.ca/-/media/Docu...FP%20FINAL.pdf

Aerial of the area:

https://www.bing.com/maps?cp=49.2850...d%2c+vancouver

Last edited by officedweller; Dec 20, 2016 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks!

So it sounds like it'll be a standalone entrance rather than using the "stub" that exists on the existing ticketing concourse for an unbuilt tunnel across Burrard to Park Place.
So now I'm a bit confused. I thought the new east entrance was going to be across burrard at park place? I'm having a difficult time picturing this

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
So now I'm a bit confused. I thought the new east entrance was going to be across burrard at park place? I'm having a difficult time picturing this
Very crude representation by me:

Here's the new Dunsmuir access to Granville Station from the VIA Architecture website (the view is towards the platform which runs left right)
But for Park Place, they say they can't install escalators, because of the existing parkade levels, so they will use only elevators.
(Mind you, if the tunnel doesn't occupy the full width of Dunsmuir, couldn't they install escalators under Dunsmuir Street, adjacent to the Park Place underground parkade?)
(for the Granville Station Dunsmuir entrance, the new condo parkade was designed for the escalators).

Last edited by officedweller; Dec 20, 2016 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:34 AM

This is the stub connection that officedweller was referring to.

Credit: https://sfuurban.wordpress.com/2012/...uction-update/

Last edited by jollyburger; Dec 20, 2016 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:35 AM
SkyTrain Nut

If you ask me that's a pretty poor design consideration. The existing concourse hall efficiently serves both ends of the platform while the proposed entrance only serves one end. I would be for widening the escalator tunnel and adding one more escalator so you have two going up and two going down.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:37 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
(Mind you, if the tunnel doesn't occupy the full width of Dunsmuir, couldn't they install escalators under Dunsmuir Street, adjacent to the Park Place underground parkade?)
(for the Granville Station Dunsmuir entrance, the new condo parkade was designed for the escalators).

I'm assuming this is an old proposal? Man that's A LOT of parking for a teeny tiny building. Or does that basement parking already exist?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
I'm assuming this is an old proposal? Man that's A LOT of parking for a teeny tiny building. Or does that basement parking already exist?
That was built with and at the same time as the Hudson condo tower.
Only the podium is shown on that drawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
If you ask me that's a pretty poor design consideration. The existing concourse hall efficiently serves both ends of the platform while the proposed entrance only serves one end. I would be for widening the escalator tunnel and adding one more escalator so you have two going up and two going down.
It's the same uneven distribution at Granville Station.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:42 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post

*img*
The concept drawing doesn't properly show where the existing stub is. this however does and it can just be seen in my photo above where the now closed flower shop is.

Last edited by MIPS; Dec 21, 2016 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post

Credit: https://sfuurban.wordpress.com/2012/...uction-update/
so why aren't they using the Park Place connection? its been roughed in a bit and seems like a much better way to connect to the platform then what seems to be proposed. and why didn't they build that connection in the first place? money?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
so why aren't they using the Park Place connection? its been roughed in a bit and seems like a much better way to connect to the platform then what seems to be proposed. and why didn't they build that connection in the first place? money?
Because that stub wouldn't solve the problem of the 3 escalator bottleneck at the right of the picture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure