HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2401  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 7:21 AM
Vantage's Avatar
Vantage Vantage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I don't think I've ever seen pigeons up there...
It's doing its job then.
__________________
Vancouver born and raised | My Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2402  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 9:51 AM
flipper316 flipper316 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 275
Anyone disgusted by the amount of trash by the ticket machines and at Central BlVd at Metrotown? Also what's up with that ped overpass? Are they just gonna leave it there as some sort of museum piece? It looks so unsightly and redundant seeing as peds can take the escalator down from the mall concourse to the bus loop.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2403  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:18 PM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Anyone disgusted by the amount of trash by the ticket machines and at Central BlVd at Metrotown? Also what's up with that ped overpass? Are they just gonna leave it there as some sort of museum piece? It looks so unsightly and redundant seeing as peds can take the escalator down from the mall concourse to the bus loop.
I've always thought we could use a little more trash collection in certain locations. It's strange how without the walkway Metrotown station feels more like a significant separate entity rather than a station tacked onto the mall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2404  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:27 PM
gillty gillty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hyogo, Japan / Vancouver
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
I've always thought we could use a little more trash collection in certain locations. It's strange how without the walkway Metrotown station feels more like a significant separate entity rather than a station tacked onto the mall.
It is a two way street. Sure garbage receptacles are often overflowing or not found (downtown Vancouver), but people also need have some respect and restraint regarding the environments they occupy. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case here.

In regards to the 29th Avenue overpass, may I be the only one who thinks it looks extremely elegant?
I grew up using this station and am very satisfied with the upgrades, if only they would replace the dated platform tile work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2405  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 10:15 PM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillty View Post
It is a two way street. Sure garbage receptacles are often overflowing or not found (downtown Vancouver), but people also need have some respect and restraint regarding the environments they occupy. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case here.

In regards to the 29th Avenue overpass, may I be the only one who thinks it looks extremely elegant?
I grew up using this station and am very satisfied with the upgrades, if only they would replace the dated platform tile work.
It would look nice if the station was all brick etc like a tube station, but I see where these guys are coming from. That aesthetic doesn't really fit with the modernist architecture of the system.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2406  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:04 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24,993
From Via Architecture twitter:

Metrotown Station March 2, 2017


https://twitter.com/viaarchitecture
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2407  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:25 AM
Waders Waders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
From Via Architecture twitter:

Metrotown Station March 2, 2017


https://twitter.com/viaarchitecture
One thing I don't like is the opening at the upper portion of the station house glass panels allows water to get inside during stormy weather.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2408  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:34 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24,993
I wonder if that's to allow birds to get out?
Otherwise you'd think they'd close the gap a bit.
I doubt you'd need that large a gap to relieve air pressure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2409  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 1:00 PM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,693
(sorry, nothing to see here)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2410  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:59 PM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 442
That new bus exchange next to the ScotiaBank at Brighouse is starting to take shape, slowly. And by that, I mean a bit of asphalt has been laid down and the fence pulled back a bit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2411  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:18 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,452
Is it me or the area around Brighouse station is beginning to look so bright at night. It almost seems the station and all of No. 3 road lights have been replaced with the very bright white LED lamps.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2412  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:51 PM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I wonder if that's to allow birds to get out?
Otherwise you'd think they'd close the gap a bit.
I doubt you'd need that large a gap to relieve air pressure.
Convection based ventilation perhaps?. They did it on Joyce when they did the Compass expansion but the top portion kept the mesh panels which yes, helps keep birds out and some of the weather.


Image courtesy of News1130
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2413  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 3:30 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,207
I doubt it's for birds since other station upgrades like at Main Street have closed in those top sections.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2414  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 4:44 AM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
That new bus exchange next to the ScotiaBank at Brighouse is starting to take shape, slowly. And by that, I mean a bit of asphalt has been laid down and the fence pulled back a bit.
Take pictures and post?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2415  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 7:19 AM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Take pictures and post?
Forgot to but I will do that when I'm commuting home and its nice and bright out. I can't be assed to do it on my commute to work but from work I can be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2416  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 3:02 PM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 633
One thing that pertains to stations and that I'm quite curious about now that I think of it, are there a certain number of Skytrain/station attendants always in the system? Are there particular stations that are always attended or always not attended? I've never paid enough attention to know whether attendants I've seen were always there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2417  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 2:19 AM
dpogue dpogue is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
One thing that pertains to stations and that I'm quite curious about now that I think of it, are there a certain number of Skytrain/station attendants always in the system? Are there particular stations that are always attended or always not attended? I've never paid enough attention to know whether attendants I've seen were always there.
Stations are not always attended, but staffing levels are generally set such that there is at least one STA for each station plus a few extras to cover for breaks, lunches, meetings, trainings, etc. During rush hour there are additional part-time staff to provide faster response to any problems (one of the recommendations from the McNeil report).

Generally the way it works is that the system is broken up into blocks containing 2 stations, and 2 staff members are assigned to each block to float back and forth between the stations. Frequently those two staff stick together as a pair for increased safety.
The exceptions I believe are Main Street, Commercial-Broadway (Expo Line), Lougheed, and Production Way. Commercial-Broadway (Millennium Line) is almost always attended because it just happens to overlap in 2 blocks, and it's also where a supervisor office and training rooms are located.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2418  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 2:52 AM
tlo tlo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Is it me or the area around Brighouse station is beginning to look so bright at night. It almost seems the station and all of No. 3 road lights have been replaced with the very bright white LED lamps.
I don't know about No. 3 Road but my phone's light sensor tells me that the LED street lights elsewhere in Richmond are about twice the intensity of the lights they're replacing. The amateur astronomer in me is offended by the increased light pollution.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2419  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 5:47 AM
flipper316 flipper316 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 275
I've been out to Metrotown station a few times recently. Anyone think with the overall pace of construction it could've been done faster if they just closed the damn station? It's not like the mall would've been hurting for traffic with the bus loop right there and giant parking lots under and over ground. And Patterson and Royal Oak are a close shuttle ride away or a somewhat close walk for people transiting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2420  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 6:14 AM
dpogue dpogue is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
I've been out to Metrotown station a few times recently. Anyone think with the overall pace of construction it could've been done faster if they just closed the damn station? It's not like the mall would've been hurting for traffic with the bus loop right there and giant parking lots under and over ground. And Patterson and Royal Oak are a close shuttle ride away or a somewhat close walk for people transiting.
That's what they wanted to do, but Burnaby didn't consider that a valid option.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:02 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.