HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2641  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:53 AM
Aroundtheworld Aroundtheworld is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Platform doors will not stop a suicide. Broadway's platform was the only one that was actually becoming a problem.
I agree a lot with what you said but I disagree with this. Sure they won't prevent suicides outside the station, but I see no reason why they wouldn't prevent them inside the station once they are installed. Most installations are floor to ceiling making it impossible for anyone to climb past the barriers. Even if they aren't floor to ceiling, having a barrier may dissuade someone suicidal from attempting it there. Also, if they try climbing the barrier, it will give onlookers time to react and stop them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2642  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 10:30 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 11,551
If it is not jersey barriers on the highway thread it is platform doors on the transit thread.

Seriously, I don't know why some of you on here are obsessed with them.

I actually hate them myself.

I think that they make stations feel very claustrophobic (even on large platforms) and will essentially make transit a less pleasant experiences.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2643  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:38 AM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
If it is not jersey barriers on the highway thread it is platform doors on the transit thread.

Seriously, I don't know why some of you on here are obsessed with them.

I actually hate them myself.

I think that they make stations feel very claustrophobic (even on large platforms) and will essentially make transit a less pleasant experiences.
Idk, they improve safety of course there's something to be said for being able to see the train and rails, but I think that's more of a transit fan complaint

Better yet all the great systems like Seoul, Tokyo, London are getting them so that means we should have them of course.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2644  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:54 PM
Jebby's Avatar
Jebby Jebby is offline
Make America Great Again!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Better yet all the great systems like Seoul, Tokyo, London are getting them so that means we should have them of course.
They also have 10+ million people and 10+ transit lines each.
__________________
In the heart of a busy metropolis skyscrapers are a vivid reminder of the constant yearning of the human spirit to rise to God

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2645  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:33 PM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
They also have 10+ million people and 10+ transit lines each.
Sarcasm...

But honestly they are a good system, there is no reason that we shouldnt have them in the future once rolling stock is more unified, they will probably be a good idea to help with Canada Line platforms as they get more crowded in the future as well.

In the end even if they don't prevent suicides they have a bunch of benefits, if they are floor to ceiling you can air-condition some stations, and it also prevents someone calling into he tracks on accident which helps prevent some delays.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2646  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:46 PM
gillty gillty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hyogo, Japan / Vancouver
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Idk, they improve safety of course there's something to be said for being able to see the train and rails, but I think that's more of a transit fan complaint

Better yet all the great systems like Seoul, Tokyo, London are getting them so that means we should have them of course.
This is the "SkyTrain Station Renovations | u/c" thread, u/c denotes under-construction, and what you are discussing, rather incessantly—is not under-construction—it is fantasy.

Please use the transit, or transit fantasy, thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2647  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:47 PM
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
But honestly they are a good system, there is no reason that we shouldnt have them in the future once rolling stock is more unified...
Easier said than done in a chronically underfunded system where the money could always be put to better use elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2648  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:58 AM
cornholio cornholio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
I'm sure on other transit systems they replace their rolling stock with new ones that match the previous door positions.

The reason we don't have it here is that it's largely not justified because the platforms aren't crowded enough for accidents to happen frequently. Platform doors will not stop a suicide. Broadway's platform was the only one that was actually becoming a problem.

If someone wants to die so bad by transit they will jump out in front of a bus on a red light. The Surrey LRT might attract suicides, but of the accidents I've been tracking over the last two years, most reported LRT accidents are with vehicles making left turns, wrong turns, and vehicles trying to beat the train. Pedestrian accidents are not well reported and only when they involve bikes or wheelchairs. That "down the center of the boulevard" means no platform edge doors either.
The real problem is not suicides. You are thinking with emotions, this is not about emotions. The real problem is the fact the station gets shut down when someone jumps under a train and it takes hours to get them out and clean the mess up. A mess other people witness as well and employees have to deal with. But the big problem is the fact the station gets shut down for significant periods of time and the entire system gets impacted. Its a operational problem.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2649  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:14 PM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
The real problem is not suicides. You are thinking with emotions, this is not about emotions. The real problem is the fact the station gets shut down when someone jumps under a train and it takes hours to get them out and clean the mess up. A mess other people witness as well and employees have to deal with. But the big problem is the fact the station gets shut down for significant periods of time and the entire system gets impacted. Its a operational problem.
An operational problem that you cannot afford when you are pushing your system for maximum throughput.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2650  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:42 PM
red-paladin's Avatar
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,314
Not the thread for this topic
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2651  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:29 PM
Kisai Kisai is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
An operational problem that you cannot afford when you are pushing your system for maximum throughput.
PED gets mentioned frequently enough around here that the standard answer "the trains aren't all the same size", yeah and they never will be, so give up.

My answer has more to do with "I'm sure there is a technical solution that would work regardless of the train length and door positions, but I doubt it's justified." It's like the reverse of the LRT argument. Grade separated guideways prevent accidents, but it's not justified in every case, but the reason you have the grade separation is about operational efficiency for both the train and the roads they cross. If there's no roads, to cross, then of course you can run it at grade and just elevate the pedestrian crossing like you would to cross a highway. PED basically moves the argument from grade crossings to the stations. Yes all rail stations should have them for safety reasons, but for technical/cost reasons we've opted not to.

And just like Jersey barriers on highways, it doesn't increase safety alone, it just makes the potential for accidents to have less collateral damage. If every possible thing was done to make the deadly Malahat safe on Vancouver Island, they'd just blow the damn thing up and bore a tunnel past the dangerous section.

Anyone hellbent on killing themselves will do so, regardless of safety features, they just migrate to easier places. Potential suicides and idiocy is why you can't look over any bridge any more (see the Burrard Bridge.) I forget what study it was I was reading about accidents, suicides and dangerous conditions found on transit, but at one point it was stated that the safety features are often thought as a cost-benefit system, not as an ethical thing, thus many features of transportation are built without adequate safety features because they feel that it's cheaper to payout an accident than install the safety features... or just use better technology in the first place.

It's on-topic since we're talking about station renovations and why we never see these things added, particularly Broadway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2652  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:25 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24,993
Metrotown Station by City of Rain @ SkyRise Cities taken April 19th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1215145, member: 70034
20170419_170846 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170707 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170703 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1215147, member: 70034
20170419_170611 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170447 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170350 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170419_170314 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2653  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:09 AM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 889
Still not liking all that white.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2654  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:44 PM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Still not liking all that white.
Racist.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2655  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:20 AM
dharper dharper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Surrey
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Still not liking all that white.
Don't worry. It will be grey in no time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2656  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:57 PM
TransitFreak TransitFreak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 187
Roof trusses for Metrotown east stationhouse delivered to site, steel structure for escalators installed. Progress seems to ge going well on that side. Couldn't take pics in time while on the train...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2657  
Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:16 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 4,214
I was exiting Commercial - Broadway Station and noticed this rendering.

"Outside view of north pedestrian walkway after upgrades"



May 3 '17, my pics



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2658  
Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:38 PM
gillty gillty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hyogo, Japan / Vancouver
Posts: 182
I really wish something could be done with the landscaping of the south face of the cut.

It doesn't have to be quite as engineered like the north face, but it could definitely use some landscaping, or at-least a good cleaning. Really takes away from the station design which otherwise I really enjoy. I imagine there is some conflict with the rail right of way, but I suppose for the city, out of sight out of mind is the motto for the cut.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2659  
Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:35 PM
red-paladin's Avatar
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,314
I just wish the city would make an effort to clean up some of the garbage in the cut.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2660  
Old Posted May 4, 2017, 8:59 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,197
Is that city property?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.