HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 2:47 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I believe someone has invented adjustable helmets. I think it's a problem that can be easily sorted, rather or not it's successful is another question.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 12:47 PM

I haven't seen adjustable bike helmets yet, but they have ads on TV for those adjustable hockey helmets. So I don't see how it would be hard to make one (maybe a bit pricey hence the deposit). But is it really that strange to ask people to carry around their own helmet if they plan on renting a bike on a regular basis. I mean, Rogers doesn't give me a DVD player when I rent a movie. To me, a service like this is for people who are basically commuting. They get off a train downtown then hop on a bike to complete their trip. Why is it so hard to bring a helmet along? If you are renting a bike to do the Seawall once a year, go to an actual bike shop, there are plenty of them.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I haven't seen adjustable bike helmets yet, but they have ads on TV for those adjustable hockey helmets. So I don't see how it would be hard to make one (maybe a bit pricey hence the deposit). But is it really that strange to ask people to carry around their own helmet if they plan on renting a bike on a regular basis. I mean, Rogers doesn't give me a DVD player when I rent a movie. To me, a service like this is for people who are basically commuting. They get off a train downtown then hop on a bike to complete their trip. Why is it so hard to bring a helmet along? If you are renting a bike to do the Seawall once a year, go to an actual bike shop, there are plenty of them.
Some 80% of bike share riders are riding spontaneously apparently. So supplying helmets is very important, personally I would carry mine with me though most of the time if I were to use it but I would be planning on using the bike share though.

If the machine can wash and test the integrity of the helmet surely it can tell sizes apart. Helmets are adjustable to a point. I haven't tried a helmet of this type but my sportier helmet adjusts well but not enough to go between my head (large) to my wife's head who gets XS and can fit a helmet made for a 5 year old.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 7:23 AM

I am thinking of biking from Ladner to Point Roberts to pick up a parcel tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience doing this. Or just going to Point Roberts by walking or cycling. I have only ever crossed the border by car, and not sure how it works. I read that you get front of the line access on the US side coming back, but heading there I am not sure. I am thinking of going around 10:30am, so any help would be great. I am also thinking of just taking the 601 down to 52a @ 2nd, and walking the last 1.5 km. Any advice is appreciated!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
I am thinking of biking from Ladner to Point Roberts to pick up a parcel tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience doing this. Or just going to Point Roberts by walking or cycling. I have only ever crossed the border by car, and not sure how it works. I read that you get front of the line access on the US side coming back, but heading there I am not sure. I am thinking of going around 10:30am, so any help would be great. I am also thinking of just taking the 601 down to 52a @ 2nd, and walking the last 1.5 km. Any advice is appreciated!
I walked across once many years ago, you just have to go into the office

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 11:47 PM

I noticed a countdown timer on a pedestrian signal at Dunsmuir & Seymour today
- anyone know if they're putting them all over downtown (or just across Dunsmuir?)
This one was for pedestrians walking south across Dunsmuir (east side of Seymour).

Also - Steveston has a new scramble crossing:

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...s-in-steveston

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I noticed a countdown timer on a pedestrian signal at Dunsmuir & Seymour today
- anyone know if they're putting them all over downtown (or just across Dunsmuir?)
This one was for pedestrians walking south across Dunsmuir (east side of Seymour).

Also - Steveston has a new scramble crossing:

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...s-in-steveston
They've been using those for the new intersections along Knight. Good that they are finally implementing this.

As for Richmond, great that they are upgrading that intersection to a scramble with a traffic light as opposed to a stop sign. There are tons of backups into the residential streets all the time and I'm sure this will help reduce that.

Just a question with regards to intersections in downtown, I noticed there are less of those "sound notifiers" (i.e. bird chirping sounds for green light) at downtown intersections: why is that?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
....a question with regards to intersections in downtown, I noticed there are less of those "sound notifiers" (i.e. bird chirping sounds for green light) at downtown intersections: why is that?
The sound they were using was somehow interfering with the nesting habits/strategies of some types of birds can't remember all the details-it took a while to determine and some serious study went into the issue.

I thought the sounds were being changed to something else-in fact I'm sure I've heard the 'new sound' somewhere.
================
As to countdown numbers on lights-the award for most innovative use goes to an older Korean woman in Poco-she was counting aloud/practising her English as she wheeled her Grandson across the street.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 1:18 AM

Vancouver is considering a scramble at Broadway & Cambie.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...e-intersection

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 1:48 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Personally I'm not a big fan of Scramble intersections. I think they could work at Robson/Granville and a few other places where car traffic isn't very heavy but pedestrian traffic is.
I don't see Cambie/Broadway being an ideal location for one.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Personally I'm not a big fan of Scramble intersections. I think they could work at Robson/Granville and a few other places where car traffic isn't very heavy but pedestrian traffic is.
I don't see Cambie/Broadway being an ideal location for one.
Agreed.

As a FYI an older friend of mine tells me that back in Days of Yore Granville & Georgia was a scramble.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 10:31 PM

Can we have bike and pedestrian scrambles at the same time? I was watching a video from the Netherlands that had cyclists scramble. I didn't see any pedestrians though so I am not sure what happens there.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Can we have bike and pedestrian scrambles at the same time? I was watching a video from the Netherlands that had cyclists scramble. I didn't see any pedestrians though so I am not sure what happens there.
Probably would work fine. Traffic signals are only required when there is motorized traffic. There are never signals when bike and pedestrian paths cross. Cyclists would have to yield to pedestrians though.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 3:50 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Vancouver is considering a scramble at Broadway & Cambie.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...e-intersection
interesting but the wrong spot ... too busy with cars and buses/tucks .... I think Granville @ Robson&Georgia one is needed.

Richmond just opened one >> http://www.richmondreview.com/news/135535693.html

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 10:42 PM

Langley Township apply to build regional cycling and walking network

http://www.southfraser.net/2011/12/t...-regional.html

The City of Surrey has been busy building greenways and their cycling network
for a few years now. It looks like the Township of Langley is planning to
connect up to Surrey's network and has applied for a grant to build a greenway
trail connection from Derby Reach Regional Park to the Golden Ears Bridge. This
project, if approved, would provide $500,000 of cycling and walking
infrastructure improvements.

More on website including map.

It would be nice though if the west side of the bridge would also be improved. Your choices are not great. I prefer the north route of 98B Ave/ 101 Ave on weekends as it is pretty quiet but the roads can be very dirty with the industrial traffic. The south route is Telegraph Trail, 96Ave and 201 St. http://binged.it/rMHGeN

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 7:54 PM

More on pedestrian scrambles in Vancouver from the National Post:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/12...es-congestion/

Quote:
Vancouver sees future in ‘scramble’ intersections, Toronto sees congestion
Tristin Hopper Dec 20, 2011 – 8:25 PM ET | Last Updated: Dec 21, 2011 9:58 AM ET

Forty years after “scramble intersections” were ripped from Canadian downtowns, Vancouver is looking to usher in their renaissance even as Toronto is trying to rip them out again.

Vancouver is considering adding scrambles — in which car traffic is halted completely in all directions, allowing pedestrians to “scramble” diagonally across an intersection — at up to 12 corners, reportedly including Cambie Street at West Broadway and Hastings Street at Main Street. The first could be ready by next summer.

‘‘We’re trying to see if we can do it in a way that doesn’t create unacceptable congestion,” said Jerry Dobrovolny, Vancouver’s director of transportation.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 1:23 AM

From the Annals of Cycledom, by way of the Courier. Classy:

His mind trained on personal matters, Daryl Richardson crossed Pacific Street, entered the bike lane on the Burrard Bridge and set out to climb the paved path.

He didn't realize he was walking on a dedicated bike route and, as a pedestrian, was required to use the other side of the bridge.

"Every cyclist who went by me, I made sure to go farther toward the right where the cars are so they had more room, but none of them said anything."

That is until one irate cyclist struck Richardson, he believes deliberately.

"I saw this lady coming towards me and I went, 'Uh-oh,'" he said.

"I saw her and she veered into my lane and was going right for me. She was coming for me like she was trying to make a point. Then just before she was about to hit me head on, she swerved a little bit to hit me in the shoulder. Then she yelled something to the effect of, 'This is a bike lane.'"

(The collision on Dec. 6 was witnessed by Courier cycling columnist Kay Cahill.)..

Read more: http://www.vancourier.com/sports/Rag...#ixzz1hmvTCgWd

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
That is until one irate cyclist struck Richardson, he believes deliberately.
Yep, some people are real a**holes. Unfortunately cyclists aren't the worst of them.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:35 PM

Vancouver Sun Article
By Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver SunDecember 30, 2011

Walking around Surrey is no easy feat.

But city officials hope to make it a bit better with a plan that aims to connect
its communities with biking and walking trails and greenway "loops" throughout
the city's six town centres — Cloverdale, Fleetwood, Guildford, Newton,
Whalley/City Centre and Semiahmoo.

The aim? To get residents out of their cars and walking or biking to work, the
shopping districts and the city's parks.

Surrey parks manager Owen Croy said the city already has about 75 kilometres of
four-metre-wide greenway trails. But while a 2008 public survey found about 70
per cent of people used the trails for recreation that year, they aren't used
for daily trips around the community.

One of the biggest complaints by residents, according to a draft greenways
report that will go to Surrey city council in January, is that there are no
greenways "where I want to go."

"Although walking and cycling are fundamental modes of transportation, these
activities are often overlooked in favour of taking the car," according to the
draft report. "Even in Surrey's more active neighbourhoods, those with
traditional grid-road networks and homes in close proximity to shops, only eight
per cent of people walk to work and even fewer, only 6.5 per cent, cycle to
work."
More: Vancouver Sun Article
ksinoski@...

More Information:
City of Surrey Greenways Plan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:39 PM

Surrey Cycling and Greenway Plan

Surrey has put out its Cycling and Greenway Plans:

Cycling Plan & Greenways Plan Open House Material

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure