HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
But seriously, West Coast aboriginal art is beautiful and pretty much all that we have to draw from that is uniquely "Canadian" other than Group of Seven type stuff.
Yes.. I'll freely admit that I'm rather sick of native art everywhere, but we don't have anything else remotely original, and you have to look at it from a tourist's point of view.

At least it's authentic for the most part, not some made up crap like many other cities.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yes.. I'll freely admit that I'm rather sick of native art everywhere, but we don't have anything else remotely original, and you have to look at it from a tourist's point of view.

At least it's authentic for the most part, not some made up crap like many other cities.
canadian is woods, forest and greenery, which is vancouver.

it's a very common symbol in the world, many ppl think of mountains, trees and lakes as canadian.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:39 PM

Shit, shit....shit.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
canadian is woods, forest and greenery, which is vancouver.

it's a very common symbol in the world, many ppl think of mountains, trees and lakes as canadian.
Actually, most foreigners I have met think of Mounties and Maple Syrup.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:13 PM

I do agree that I would like to see all the other cultures in Vancouver represented a little more than they have been, but on the flip side coastal native art is beautiful and does make for some nice designs so far.

It would be nice to see a little more maple leaf inspired designs, our most internationally recognized symbol.

What I hate most about this woman is she is so disrespectful that she destroys any valid points that she is even close to hitting.

Also white people recieve racism in Vancouver as well, i still laugh every time i remember reading "round eyes go away" on the bathroom door of a Chinese restaurant.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:34 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12
I don't advocate violence against women, but this bitch needs the shit kicked out of her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I crossed paths with this psycho too... nothing in this world is too bad to be inflicted upon her.
Substituting threats of violence for a reasoned refutation of Marsden's points is an obvious confession of intellectual impotence.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I do agree that I would like to see all the other cultures in Vancouver represented a little more than they have been, but on the flip side coastal native art is beautiful and does make for some nice designs so far.

It would be nice to see a little more maple leaf inspired designs, our most internationally recognized symbol.

What I hate most about this woman is she is so disrespectful that she destroys any valid points that she is even close to hitting.

Also white people recieve racism in Vancouver as well, i still laugh every time i remember reading "round eyes go away" on the bathroom door of a Chinese restaurant.
i have never seen any sign prohibiting foreigners, i know in japan some places have signs that say foreigners not allowed...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:42 PM

Quote:
i have never seen any sign prohibiting foreigners, i know in japan some places have signs that say foreigners not allowed...
Ever so ironically the signs were usually written in Japanese.

This is mostly a thing of the past, at public baths, but usually because foreigners could never grasp the exact rituals of the onsen.

Onsen = serious business!

It's worth noting perhaps that these were aimed more at Chinese / Koreans, who the Japanese still show great disdain for (not that that makes it better)... I remember in Sapporo, people were shocked that the Chinese tourists wouldn't line up properly to keep the buses on time. I remember hearing them complaining that Sapporo is *always* like this every time there is National holidays in China.

Of course, lining up orderly in ridiculously long lines is a national past time in Japan. Probably not so much in China and Korea...

The news actually has regular stories playing this up, too. Something that you REALLY could not get away with here. "Them darn Chinese are so dirty and disorderly!"

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post

This is mostly a thing of the past, at public baths, but usually because foreigners could never grasp the exact rituals of the onsen.

Onsen = serious business!

It's worth noting perhaps that these were aimed more at Chinese / Koreans, who the Japanese still show great disdain for (not that that makes it better)... I remember in Sapporo, people were shocked that the Chinese tourists wouldn't line up properly to keep the buses on time. I remember hearing them complaining that Sapporo is *always* like this every time there is National holidays in China.

Of course, lining up orderly in ridiculously long lines is a national past time in Japan. Probably not so much in China and Korea...

The news actually has regular stories playing this up, too. Something that you REALLY could not get away with here. "Them darn Chinese are so dirty and unorderly!"
if chinese were like that, then richmond or else where with high concentration of chinese would've messed up the place already. Richmond is even cleaner and better looking than new westminster. i never saw any chinese newspaper left as garbage on public transit, ont he other hand, a bunch of 24 and metro, with its main audience as...r everywhere.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:56 PM

Yes, but, the Chinese are Japan's USA...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, but, the Chinese are Japan's USA...
what do u mean by japan's usa

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:59 PM

Quote:
what do u mean by japan's usa
They hold them in the same contempt that many Canadians hold Americans.

And of course, China, whose Countries name literally means "Middle Kingdom", thinks they are #1, unquestionably. Chinese patriotism is fierce.

Modern Japan is much like Modern Canada, in that, there isn't *huge* amounts of patriotism by everyday normal citizens.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:01 PM

Chinese immigrants to Canada tend to be from higher classes. Trust me, there are some really dirty places in China. And i mean they make east van look spotless. But that is not to say there are also very clean places in China as well. There is a major divide between rich and poor, even today.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Chinese immigrants to Canada tend to be from higher classes. Trust me, there are some really dirty places in China. And i mean they make east van look spotless. But that is not to say there are also very clean places in China as well. There is a major divide between rich and poor, even today.
nobody wants to dirty a place when it's clean, only when the place is shit, then u dont really care.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:15 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
I've only seen one at a model home open house in Kobe ( ex-pat mecca Kobe, of all places! ) We went in anyway, but it likely was because foreigners not in the know (on vacation) wouldn't take their shoes off when entering the house, and even if they did, wouldn't take their slippers off when on the tatami... the real estate agents were probably were not confident enough in English to tell them off.

Not to get :offtopci: but I dont' understand people who wear their shoes on in the house. I have to remind most ( if not all ) Americans who visit to take their shoes off. It was always standard practice for me growing up in my typical Euro/Canadian household.

Quote:
I remember in Sapporo, people were shocked that the Chinese tourists wouldn't line up properly to keep the buses on time. I remember hearing them complaining that Sapporo is *always* like this every time there is National holidays in China.
I think Hong Kongers and Taiwanese have a similar, yet tamed feeling toward Chinese.

It's unfortunate, because it's really not due to their ethnicity or race, but rather, typically a lack of education and a harder life.

Etiquette is developed to help people concentrated in large cities to get along with one another because they're living elbow to elbow and would be at each others' throats otherwise.

There needs to be some order when people are in close quarters. Just look at any military to see this.

Quote:
Nah... if Costco sample tables are any indication, love for the queue is an Asian thing. Don't think Japan has dibs on line-up-love.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:26 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Not only that, but when you emigrate you ARE affected somewhat by your surroundings... example is one of the most effective ways to teach, after all.

Kids learn by the example ( good or bad ) of their parents. Within reason, anyone immigrating here absorbs the local culture to come degree.

Richmond isn't ALL Chinese, remember... anyone have the demographic stats? Are they even a majority?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Not only that, but when you emigrate you ARE affected somewhat by your surroundings... example is one of the most effective ways to teach, after all.

Kids learn by the example ( good or bad ) of their parents. Within reason, anyone immigrating here absorbs the local culture to come degree.

Richmond isn't ALL Chinese, remember... anyone have the demographic stats? Are they even a majority?
Supposedly, 59% of residents (the highest in Canada) are immigrants. No exact statistics, but most of them have to be Chinese.

Quote:
According to Statistics Canada, residents of Richmond have the greatest life expectancy in Canada at 83.4 years, and the lowest obesity and smoking rates as well.
That's interesting, too

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post

number 3 area

if u see how nice richmond's condo areas are, then you would have a different perception about things.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:41 PM

Double post. This forum seems to be full of bugs of late.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:45 PM

Quote:
According to Statistics Canada, residents of Richmond have the greatest life expectancy in Canada at 83.4 years, and the lowest obesity and smoking rates as well.

That is strange, seeing how on average Chinese have a much higher smoking rate than Canadians, maybe that is the Canadina culture infecting their lives!

Also to vansky, one of the main reasons why the condo area in Richmond is so clean is because the majority of them are new developments, and the condo area in Richmond is no different than the new condo areas in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Coquitlam, etc...

And what about China town or Kings way? Those areas are dominantly Chinese but are considerably more dirty than the average community in Metro-Vancouver?

Maybe age of the community and average income have more to do with it than race? I really think people such as Vansky are putting way to much emphasis on race. Dare i say you have a little xenophobia yourself?

All I know is i have grown up in a house where my mother vacuumed and moped the floor twice a day, washed every dish as soon as it entered the sink, dusted the entire house twice a week, folded every piece of laundry and placed it where it belonged while it was still warm from the drier, etc... and a dad who re-painted the house every year, mowed the lawn every 2 days, gardened for 2 hours every day after work, washed the cars at least once a week, etc... and don't even think about wearing your shoes in the house or eating/drinking in the car! And here is the kicker, we are white! That must blow vansky's mind!

And this is the best part, even my Japanese fiance and her family thinks my family is anal!

Last edited by Metro-One; Oct 16, 2009 at 9:57 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]