HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 4:34 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
oh, the short-sightedness of our leaders.

i wish this would change one day....

hasn't thus far...
There's a photo of the soon-to-be widest bridge in the world right above your post.

Of course that is an anomaly... infrastructure decisions seem to be purely about how to make property taxes go up in the burbs.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
That's pretty much exactly what I was saying. Back then, we made decisions on infrastructure based on logic and need (gasp), and had a roaring local economy, that has since been replaced by the current one based on ideological pie-in-the-sky BS.

BTW the tolls were retired once the vast majority of projects were paid off in full. WAC Bennett didn't believe in using tolls as a revenue source so they were removed.
Paid off? I am not certain, but it's unlikely imho that all the late 50s toll bridges/tunnel were paid off by '63 http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications...rtofreeway.pdf

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 9:15 AM

No mention of the cost, April 1 1963 Free Free Free. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...pg=2331%2C8484

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Or Gordo's decision to whack 25% off income tax rates did.

Anyway, once the NDP wins this project is dead. The area served by the 99 and the tunnel isn't their turf.
You're right about that.
But I'm sure we'll see some more upgrades to the Vancouver Island Highway...
I guess thats not bad... it could use some more interchanges, extra lanes... maybe the 72ave interchange fund can be diverted to finish Hwy 17 (on the island) to a full freeway status... maybe a full bypass for the Malahat... LRT for Victoria?

Don't get me wrong, the Island deserves infrastructure construction too...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 6:18 PM

A full expressway between Victoria and Nanaimo is a dream of mine, but it would have to be tolled. I would settle for #17 being converted into a full freeway as well.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 10:40 PM

You heard it here first: if the NDP is elected then Victoria will get its LRT line before any new bridge or line in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 PM

While I will likely not be voting NDP, the idea of Victoria receiving its first LRT, or highway 17 becoming a full freeway, or the Malahat being replaced does not seem like a negative to me. These are all projects I have wanted to see go forward on the Island for quite some time.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
You're right about that.
But I'm sure we'll see some more upgrades to the Vancouver Island Highway...
I guess thats not bad... it could use some more interchanges, extra lanes... maybe the 72ave interchange fund can be diverted to finish Hwy 17 (on the island) to a full freeway status... maybe a full bypass for the Malahat... LRT for Victoria?

Don't get me wrong, the Island deserves infrastructure construction too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
A full expressway between Victoria and Nanaimo is a dream of mine, but it would have to be tolled. I would settle for #17 being converted into a full freeway as well.
When the Vancouver Island Highway Project was under construction during the 1990's, detailed plans were in place to upgrade Hwy 1 along the Malahat through most of Goldstream Provincial Park.

An interchange of Hwy 1 with McKenzie Ave. was also to be constructed.

Hwy 17 was also planned for an expressway standard upgrade along its entire length in 1990.

But hardcore-enviros, part of the NDP base, yelled and screamed, so the then NDP government nixed those ideas. Then cabinet minister Moe Sihota (now NDP party prez) has confirmed that on many occasions.

Nope. No more highway development on Van Isle with the NDP. Perhaps lrt and the E & N line upgraded to smaller version of the WestCoast Express. But that will be it. Same with Metro Vancouver. Perhaps the Broadway Corridor and lrt south of the Fraser.

The only highway development that will likely occur in BC will be continued twinning of Hwy 97 and Hwy 1 to the Alberta border, albeit at a slower pace. You can bank on that. Remember, the BC NDP (its leader, NDP MLAs/candidates, and its base) is the most left-wing in Canada and highway/freeway development is anathema to them, esp. in metro/urban/suburban/built-up areas.

The new Pattullo Bridge will be nixed as well.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Paid off? I am not certain, but it's unlikely imho that all the late 50s toll bridges/tunnel were paid off by '63 http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications...rtofreeway.pdf
Never said that everything was paid for. Some of it was and some wasn't. Others were under 5 years from being paid off. For instance the article you posted showed the Lions Gate which was already 3 decades old yet still collecting tolls as the picture showed.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Never said that everything was paid for. Some of it was and some wasn't. Others were under 5 years from being paid off. For instance the article you posted showed the Lions Gate which was already 3 decades old yet still collecting tolls as the picture showed.
Well the Lion's Gate was purchased from the Guinness in '54... apparently for the original cost of the bridge.

The six "British Columbia Toll Highways and Bridges Authority" crossings? Debatable, but water under the bridge now.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
When the Vancouver Island Highway Project was under construction during the 1990's, detailed plans were in place to upgrade Hwy 1 along the Malahat through most of Goldstream Provincial Park.

An interchange of Hwy 1 with McKenzie Ave. was also to be constructed.

Hwy 17 was also planned for an expressway standard upgrade along its entire length in 1990.

But hardcore-enviros, part of the NDP base, yelled and screamed, so the then NDP government nixed those ideas. Then cabinet minister Moe Sihota (now NDP party prez) has confirmed that on many occasions.

Nope. No more highway development on Van Isle with the NDP. Perhaps lrt and the E & N line upgraded to smaller version of the WestCoast Express. But that will be it. Same with Metro Vancouver. Perhaps the Broadway Corridor and lrt south of the Fraser.

The only highway development that will likely occur in BC will be continued twinning of Hwy 97 and Hwy 1 to the Alberta border, albeit at a slower pace. You can bank on that. Remember, the BC NDP (its leader, NDP MLAs/candidates, and its base) is the most left-wing in Canada and highway/freeway development is anathema to them, esp. in metro/urban/suburban/built-up areas.

The new Pattullo Bridge will be nixed as well.
Man I so want the liberals out but this scares the crap out of me.

BC is already so behind in its highway infrastructure, it makes it so much more difficult for industry to operate in this huge province. I hope the NDP can at the very least maintain the rate of highway improvements in this province...which is slow as is.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
I hope the NDP can at the very least maintain the rate of highway improvements in this province...which is slow as is.
I would not count on it. Incremental highway construction, of the type we have seen throughout the province over the past 10 years under the Liberals, simply did not occur under the NDP in the previous decade. The highways were left to wither, and the only construction was specific high-visibility projects that had political value. This is one major reason why I will not vote for the NDP next spring even though my family helped found the party.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 7:48 PM

Same, the NDP have changed far too much over the last 10 years, and they are now being infected by Vision, once Geoff Meggs is on board I would be surprised if they will even continue 97 / #1 improvements...

The NDP 15 years ago were actually not that bad IMO and did invest in some highway infrastructure projects. Not going to happen this time around though...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 8:00 PM

Quote:
The NDP 15 years ago were actually not that bad IMO and did invest in some highway infrastructure projects. Not going to happen this time around though...
You're talking about the same NDP that chased so many major businesses out of the province?

They are not that bad??

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 8:31 PM

relative to the NDP of today. We actually did get some decent infrastructure out of the NDP of the old, M-Line, WCE, Island highway (which I do like, just wish it was a full freeway).

But today, I am hoping the Liberals can stay in power. The new BC conservatives scare the crap out of me as well.

I would love to see this project go forward, replacing the tunnel, but don't think we will for a looong time.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 10:01 AM

Society tends to progress more harmoniously if led by different parties as opposed to one party. The NDP can work on things that the Liberals didn't, just as the Liberals worked on things that the NDP didn't. It's also hard to judge the NDP as they haven't got to do anything just yet.

You know, society is more than just road infrastructures and businesses.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Same, the NDP have changed far too much over the last 10 years, and they are now being infected by Vision, once Geoff Meggs is on board I would be surprised if they will even continue 97 / #1 improvements...

After losing the NDP Fariview ticket, Meggs said he wouldn't try for any other riding. Take that for what it's worth...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
relative to the NDP of today. We actually did get some decent infrastructure out of the NDP of the old, M-Line, WCE, Island highway (which I do like, just wish it was a full freeway).
I think Mike Harcourt actiually supports the Port Mann Hwy 1 project.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think Mike Harcourt actiually supports the Port Mann Hwy 1 project.
Correct. Back in 2007, when the provincial NDP under Carole James opposed the Port Mann Bridge/ Hwy 1 Project in favour of more buses, moderate Mike Harcourt agreed with the guvmint's project and stated:

Quote:
Why punish people in cars? says Harcourt. He says that peoples' fears that more roads will create a flood of sprawl in the valley ignores reality. Those people are there already."

"The critics of the Port Mann Bridge have missed the point. The horse has left the barn..."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Man I so want the liberals out but this scares the crap out of me.

BC is already so behind in its highway infrastructure, it makes it so much more difficult for industry to operate in this huge province. I hope the NDP can at the very least maintain the rate of highway improvements in this province...which is slow as is.
If the hghway improvements are framed as safety concerns, then you may be surprised at what will get done. Several years ago the MLA from Nanaimo was stating that some of the intersections on the Nanaimo bypass should be upgraded to intersections. Which is true, and some of those intersections just happen to be among the deadliest in the province.

The Cariboo Highway improvements will probably be paired back to a few intersection improvements, but I don't think there is enough traffic volume to warrant much more spending on it for now anyway. The Cargyle curves, Wright Station curves, Prince George southern entry are all completed, and were among the more dangerous parts of the highway.

It would be nice to have a toll highway between Squamish and Powell River though: http://www.whistlerquestion.com/arti...ver-road-route

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure