HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Gold House North in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 6:25 PM

Nice to see some yellow finally in buildings. I know it is "gold" but it is really yellow. I think they're going to look neat.

Amazing how that area is changing. 15 years ago when I was attending BCIT, my friends that lived in that area in the "affordable housing" always called that Cocaine-row for some reason. I never really understood it because it seemed fine enough the few times I frequented, but the buildings around there were definitely old in-fill.

Regardless, it is still Metrotown, so I think really the main concern in bringing these buildings down is making sure there is affordable housing elsewhere for these people to move into. That said, these buildings are fairly tiny and I don't imagine you get more than 8-16 units in a single building? So not like we're talking masses of people being moved.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
No political will. Burnaby has virtually zero social services of any kind. Welcome to the suburbs.

And yeah I like new buildings from a tower nerd point of view but it's not a good thing to get rid of walk ups. I live in one and it's a pleasant life with neighbours I know and a 15x17' master bedroom and a mortgage under $200k. Newer isn't always better.

Just look at googlemaps and see how huge the "walk up" hood is in relation to other high-rise plots in Metrotown. I don't mind seeing these rundown woodframe buildings get torn down to make way for the condo towers. Currently this is such a depressing place...when I walk by there all I can think of are silverfish and mold. For the rest of this hood, I think the City of Burnaby should partner the province/Feds and build at least 10 blocks (at least 20 stories) of well-executed "commie blocks" in awell-planned community to house those displaced. Agree about the lack of political will to improve housing in this country tho.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.22536.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Amazing how that area is changing. 15 years ago when I was attending BCIT, my friends that lived in that area in the "affordable housing" always called that Cocaine-row for some reason. I never really understood it because it seemed fine enough the few times I frequented, but the buildings around there were definitely old in-fill.
An old roommate lived in one of those buildings for awhile and was happy to move out. She called the whole area 'slumlord land'.

Just one of these towers houses more people than all the people who will be displaced once all the towers along Beresford are built. Sure it sucks for them to have to move but honestly that's a prime location - did they really think it was going to be cheap housing forever?

I wonder if any of the other (not yet announced) towers are going to have a different external colour scheme. I know Burnaby is open to that nowadays.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 1:05 AM

Does anyone have a good estimate about when this will be completed?

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
Does anyone have a good estimate about when this will be completed?
Probably two years from now.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:37 AM

Will they be constructing both towers with the same go? That's also something I like about this project, it being two towers that will help to break the line of towers along Beresford Street.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 11:15 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Site clearing from above:
It's odd that they've seemingly left that one building alone for now - it's nothing to write home about...
Google maps

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Will they be constructing both towers with the same go? That's also something I like about this project, it being two towers that will help to break the line of towers along Beresford Street.
Did you check out the survey that was posted in the Burnaby Construction & Proposals thread (included below). Basically the city is planning on almost the whole area between Beresford and Imperial being 12+ story towers, with the tallest along Beresford (and low rises along Imperial).

City Of Burnaby - Metrotown Development Plan update

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 12:07 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It's odd that they've seemingly left that one building alone for now - it's nothing to write home about...
Google maps
I was thinking the same. It's older then the others in the area, maybe they found more unexpected asbestos or something?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 2:45 AM

I so like the old house they left in place and restored next to Silver.

I suspect the last remaining house will be be razed soon as well and it seems that they will move forward with both towers at the same time. If Modello won't partially block our view of Downtown skyline, this surely will, but fortunately that is at least an year out.

Can't stop progress...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 4:01 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I so like the old house they left in place and restored next to Silver.

I suspect the last remaining house will be be razed soon as well and it seems that they will move forward with both towers at the same time. If Modello won't partially block our view of Downtown skyline, this surely will, but fortunately that is at least an year out.

Can't stop progress...
No complaints about this loss, it's about as mundane and low density as you can get for a post war apartment building.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
No complaints about this loss, it's about as mundane and low density as you can get for a post war apartment building.
1. It's not as mundane as how the Silver Condo meets McKay St.
2. The loss of this building further homogenizes Metrotown.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I hope those three storybook/craftsman houses in the top right are also preserved when development spreads south to Maywood. They are quite charming, although could use some cleaning.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I hope those three storybook/craftsman houses in the top right are also preserved when development spreads south to Maywood. They are quite charming, although could use some cleaning.
Just realized that there appears to be one preserved at Silver - top edge of pic next to courtyard driveway.

Found a pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
My photos from today:

IMG_5195 by 604 City, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe they could move them to Maywood or Imperial, where the buildings are supposed to be lower. Much bigger buildings have been moved safely.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 7:56 PM

Today

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:48 AM

They removed the little red house today.

Gone, but not forgotten.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 12:24 AM

From SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 12:42 AM

If this building's colour is done right, it can be a really bold addition to Burnaby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley