HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max. View Post
Very disappointed with that low-end brand Hampton. It's better if this place have a Hilton, Crowne Plaza or Hyatt.
I was bummed out too about the brand name chosen to represent this hotel and believe me, given a choice I would rather this were a Mandarin Oriental instead. But all things considerd this is still a decent brand. "Hampton by Hilton" has fairly attractive properties in the central areas of cities like Berlin and Miami and is in the works of opening a hotel in Dubai in the near future. When most of us hear Hampton, we still think "Hampton Inn", an exceedingly middle of the road hotel brand in squat four-storey buildings. The Hampton Inn transition to "Hampton by Hilton" I believe is a notch or two improvement in quality of the brand. Just having the word Hilton in the name says something. Not to mention, the hotel will be in a sleek and tasteful looking building. I still think this is worth being excited about.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Same thing can be said about Metrotown. Would be expecting a hotel to be built at the Brentwood mall area within the next few years.
Brentwood is extremely underserved, what is there just Delta at Grand Villa and the very popular executive

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:00 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max. View Post
Very disappointed with that low-end brand Hampton. It's better if this place have a Hilton, Crowne Plaza or Hyatt.
All is well, the suites, service and common areas can always be upgraded to 4 star in the future if deemed necessary.

The building is attractive on the outside and that's what really matters to everyone who lives near and just passes by but doesn't ever stay in the hotel.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:38 AM

The tower is primarily condos. The hotel is just occupying the 6-floor podium. If the whole tower was hotel, then yea, the design would be above and beyond what one would expect for a Hampton. But since it is just the podium, the budget-market brand for the hotel seems fine for this location.

Also in the Public Hearing the developer noted that they went for a budget-conscious hotel chain purposely to offer an alternative to Civic Plaza which I believe is going to be a 5-Star.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
The tower is primarily condos. The hotel is just occupying the 6-floor podium. If the whole tower was hotel, then yea, the design would be above and beyond what one would expect for a Hampton. But since it is just the podium, the budget-market brand for the hotel seems fine for this location.

Also in the Public Hearing the developer noted that they went for a budget-conscious hotel chain purposely to offer an alternative to Civic Plaza which I believe is going to be a 5-Star.

Truth be told, we're judging this hotel a bit harshly. Barring the hotels in the downtown core of Vancouver and possibly the Airport Fairmont, the Civic in Surrey Central is probably the fanciest in the Greater Vancouver area and as such it's a bit unfair to judge this hotel by the Civic's standards. Compared to most other non-downtown hotels of Greater Vancouver, this "Hampton by Hilton" and its stylish building, actually looks very nifty.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:13 AM

isn't there a hampton downtown vancouver near bc place?

as per a question earlier, i think the civic 3 hotel is the only one in the central/downtown/king george area, most of the hotels are in the guildford area as far as i can think, they have the sheraton, the sandman, a holiday inn, a four points by sheraton and a few more.

there are some or were some motels along king george that were more like cheap monthly rentals, maybe some more tourist ones in the newton area

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
Truth be told, we're judging this hotel a bit harshly. Barring the hotels in the downtown core of Vancouver and possibly the Airport Fairmont, the Civic in Surrey Central is probably the fanciest in the Greater Vancouver area and as such it's a bit unfair to judge this hotel by the Civic's standards. Compared to most other non-downtown hotels of Greater Vancouver, this "Hampton by Hilton" and its stylish building, actually looks very nifty.
the sheraton at guildford is like $215 +up per night, not that cheap, the four points closer to the highway is around $175 + up per night and the sandman suites is in the $200 + up range

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 4:34 AM

That the hotel is the Hampton is it going to have a restaurant in it?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn86 View Post
That the hotel is the Hampton is it going to have a restaurant in it?
I remember reading something about a wine-bar apparently, which frankly sounds pretty fancy for a Hampton.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 6:26 AM

There is a Hampton by Hilton in Surrey, it's $152 per night. I wonder if they will keep it or change the branding.

The Hampton by Hilton downtown Vancouver is $293.

19500 Langley Bypass, Surrey, BC

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
There is a Hampton by Hilton in Surrey, it's $152 per night. I wonder if they will keep it or change the branding.

19500 Langley Bypass, Surrey, BC
The two Surrey hotels will be 17 kms apart, I don't think there's any risk of them cannibalizing each other's markets.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 4:09 PM

I drove by a Best Western at King George Hwy and 80th on Monday and the parking lot for it was packed.

I don't think this hotel will have any issues.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

I haven't stayed in a hotel in Vancouver since I can remember so I have no idea what the going rates are, but $293 a night for a Hampton Inn sounds absurd.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:36 PM

^The rates fluxuate. Must have been looking at prices for this upcoming long weekend. There is basically nothing in the city for under $300, even the low end hotels. Pride and Fireworks happening.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I haven't stayed in a hotel in Vancouver since I can remember so I have no idea what the going rates are, but $293 a night for a Hampton Inn sounds absurd.
Greater Vancouver prices for hotel rooms are very high. The prices currently listed for tomorrow night (Aug 4) for example are:

$259 for Hampton Inn Surrey
$489 for Hampton Inn Vancouver

Neither price includes taxes.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
Greater Vancouver prices for hotel rooms are very high. The prices currently listed for tomorrow night (Aug 4) for example are:

$259 for Hampton Inn Surrey
$489 for Hampton Inn Vancouver

Neither price includes taxes.
u gotta be absolutely on crack to be that desperate to spend 500 dollars a night for a hampton in frigging Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
u gotta be absolutely on crack to be that desperate to spend 500 dollars a night for a hampton in frigging Vancouver.

For comparative purposes Sandman Surrey is $289 and Sheraton Surrey is $355 for tomorrow night, taxes not in. All in all, Hampton's still a good deal. The fancier Hampton to be built in Surrey Central will be able to charge considerably more owing to its location and slick looking new building.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I drove by a Best Western at King George Hwy and 80th on Monday and the parking lot for it was packed.

I don't think this hotel will have any issues.
I noticed this as well. Lots of Washington plates in the parking lot. I've seen large groups of families lined up at the bus stop nearby. I guess they take the bus to King George Station.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Pesos only go so far I guess.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:38 AM

There was a couple posts on Facebook today about this tower on Vancity Buzz

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley