HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 10:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

No but that is something that could go either way. If it were an "urban format" Home Depot with residential above then it would be a great addition to the area.

I also think the downtown is missing a major electronics store like Future Shop or Best Buy.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
No but that is something that could go either way. If it were an "urban format" Home Depot with residential above then it would be a great addition to the area.

I also think the downtown is missing a major electronics store like Future Shop or Best Buy.
Yes...I think you're right as long as it fits in with a high density type development I think it could be a good thing for the area. There is a need for this type of store in the downtown area.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Has anyone else heard rumors that Home Depot has bought land by Spring Garden on Clyde St. in back of Mills Brothers Cleaves, etc?
Unless the city has sold the lands then likely the rumor is full of it. Why would Home depot build there?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 2:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, the land is city owned, although they've been talking about developing that site for a while.

I don't necessarily think this is highly likely but there are urban Home Depot stores that are slightly smaller tenants of mixed-use buildings. I think they would do just fine near Spring Garden Road. There are no hardware stores in the downtown or South End that I know of.

Here's a Home Depot in NYC that's in an older building:

(from http://www.cynical-c.com/)

A couple of businesses like that would do wonders on Barrington, I think. The former Dooly's space is fairly large, as is the space in the former Eaton's building (which should not be offices).

The corner of Spring Garden and Queen would also be a great location for some major retailers. It already has some decent chains like American Apparel but there is no Gap, for example.

I wouldn't want the downtown to be dominated by chains but they can complement existing stores nicely and make it easier to compete with malls and big box stores.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 5:27 PM
Closed account

From this week's Coast.
Quote:
Condo conundrum
Mitchell's Environmental Treasures building may become condos soon.
by Tim Bousquet

Big changes are coming to the heart of the Gottingen Street business district, threatening, say poverty activists, to eliminate much-needed affordable housing options and change the character of the neighbourhood forever.

Wayne Robert Mitchell, owner of Mitchell's Environmental Treasures, the universally (and legally) condemned eyesore at 2183 Gottingen, has entered into contract for the sale of the building, confirms Brian Church, Mitchell's attorney. The sale won't be complete until April, says Church, in part to give Mitchell enough time to remove his considerable belongings from the property.

The new owner of the property will be Peter Polley, whose PolyCorp Developments Inc. is building the new Spice condominium at Barrington and Cornwallis streets.

The Coast has been covering the saga of the building for many years, as it continued its slide into increasing disrepair. After its roof partially collapsed, city officials moved in to condemn the building, and for the past six months a protracted legal battle ensued as Mitchell resisted the city's eviction battles.

Presently, the store is full of rain-soaked junk, and nearby residents complain of rats coming from the building. Mitchell has posted dozens of newspaper articles about the situation on the building's front door.

There's no doubt the structure will be razed, which raises the question: What will replace it?

Polley did not return repeated phone calls for comment, and has not publicly stated his intentions for the MET property. But given that his business is constructing the nearby Spice project, activists fear Polley will likewise build condos at the Gottingen site.

"That building was a hazard, but building condos is also a hazard," says Capp Larsen, from the Halifax Coalition Against Poverty.

The MET news comes just weeks after Turnstile Pottery and Soul Clippers Hairstyling were evicted from 2207 Gottingen, four doors down from the MET building. That building was bought by British Columbia-based Cornerstone Investments, and is being converted to condos. Larsen, one of a handful of residents who lives above the stores, is also being evicted. (The businesses have re-opened a few blocks away---Turnstile on Agricola Street and Soul Clippers on Cornwallis Street.)

"That's such a blatant example of gentrification," says Larsen. "It's a perfectly good building with affordable housing and locally owned businesses that serve the community. And they're taking it over, evicting the tenants, putting in condos, and turning around and selling the building. There's no investment in the community, no investment in the people who live here. It's ethically and morally wrong."

Larsen worries that as more condos are built---there are at least a half-dozen condo projects in various states of construction in the neighbourhood---rents on existing affordable housing units will be pushed up.

Also, she says, the new condos will bring upscale residents who will frown upon the various service providers that populate Gottingen. Larsen specifically mentions Direction 180, a methadone clinic, but the street also houses a Salvation Army drop-in centre and various other organizations dedicated to helping low-income people.

"There's going to be pressure to push out the service providers," says Larsen. "Services and low-income people become displaced."

What should replace the MET building? "Affordable housing or businesses that cater to the people who live here," says Larsen.

As they now stand, development standards for Gottingen Street limit new construction to 80 feet in height, rooflines to 150 feet in width, and require that a third of street-levels be dedicated to windows---to bring commercial space to the street.

But the standards do not speak to the affordability issue---many other municipalities require a percentage of construction be set aside for affordable housing, says Dawn Sloane, councillor for the area.

"And it's real affordability, defined by law, not the way we use affordability' here, as just less expensive than the most high-end place."

Sloane says affordable housing requirements should be part of the revision of city planning known as HRM By Design and written into the Regional Plan, the document controlling all development in the city.

"We talk about having an affordable housing standard. Everyone around the table says it's necessary, but we never see it."
Nice to see that something, might, eventually happen with that horrid old space. I'm not sure if I'm for or against the gentrification argument though.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 7:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The HCAP seem much more interested in protesting development than in actually providing affordable housing for anybody.

It's hard to see how the status quo on Gottingen is defensible in any way. The street is very run down and dangerous. This is bad for the current inhabitants (which are relatively few since the place is so bombed-out) and for the city in general. New investment along Gottingen is a great thing that has been a long time in coming and stopping it will not help to improve housing affordability in Halifax in any way.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 1:09 PM

Freemason Hall Internal Renovation

News out that the Freemason Hall on Barrington is under agreement and the purchaser is planning on renovating the interior to suit C Class office Space.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 12:12 AM

The HCAP are a bunch of wackos anyway.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 2:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
News out that the Freemason Hall on Barrington is under agreement and the purchaser is planning on renovating the interior to suit C Class office Space.
Do you know what the upper floors are used for currently? The exterior of the building looks like it is in decent shape.

I have always liked the building next door with the white facade but it is not in the greatest condition.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 2:33 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks like the small development for 1234 Barrington was approved earlier this month. It includes three townhouses along the sidestreet in behind Gerard Lodge plus restorations to the old house. Right now it's crumbling slightly, the roof is in rough shape, it no longer has its original wooden door, etc.

I was wondering why the small "wing" next door was in better shape than the main building. Turns out it has a different owner. It also has its own addition in behind that contains apartment units.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 9:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Time and Space Media building from Geoff Keddy Architects (http://www.geoffkeddy.com):

Not sure where this is to be located. Agricola? The background doesn't look like it..
The corner of Agricola and Willow, to be exact.

Pictures taken today.

Front:

Willow St. side:

Last edited by phrenic; Mar 1, 2008 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 10:35 PM

A really interesting design, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in that site/neighborhood.

Amazing how an artist's conception can make something look so different.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:30 PM

Not so sure that I agree 100%. I do agree that it is different than anything in the area, but in scale and relationship to the sidewalk, it fits in very well. I would like to publicly praise the developer and architect for not being afraid to do something a little different. I think that the organic shape gives the building some life, and makes me curious to know what is going on inside. The one thing that does stand out from the rendering compared to the actual photos is how ugly power lines really are.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:47 PM
we built this city

I am in support of projects like this, even though its not a tower like the Trinity proposal, it helps integrate the North End into the downtown area.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 6:19 PM

I'm not sure if a tower would work well at all on the Agricola site. It's a very small lot. I'm pretty interested to see how the new building turns out.

The Trinity proposal sounds great, lets see what gets proposed and how they work the 18 storey tower onto the site.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 7:11 PM

Bayers Road plaza is building an addition to the former zellers building by erecting a 5 storey tower on top of the existing building. 200,000 Square feet to hit the already over supplied suburban market place.

Construction has begun.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:51 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The suburban development is a big part of why there's so little office development downtown. Companies can quietly put up a 200,000 sq foot building on Bayers Road or zone a new office park while proposals like the Armour Group building on Upper Water get bogged down.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 1:17 PM

Any renderings of what this expansion will look like? I can't seem to find anything.
Kinda curious as I work in the CCL building right in front of it. I know our company is expanding into the plaza as we need more room, wonder if this is related.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Any renderings of what this expansion will look like? I can't seem to find anything.
Kinda curious as I work in the CCL building right in front of it. I know our company is expanding into the plaza as we need more room, wonder if this is related.
CCL is expanding?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 2:43 PM

Here we go, found the press release about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth