HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodrat View Post
Perhaps, but I'm really quite envious of the Austonian. Sexier than any highrise resi ever built in Seattle.
I guess. Sometimes I don't like it because it stands out so much and dominates our skyline, but that will change once we get buildings of comparable size built, like the Fairmont.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:47 PM
Cascadia Rising

I think the best looking towers to go up in the area in recent years would be the Bellevue Towers project. Better than anything that went up in Seattle proper in my humble opinion. I'm thinking this next phase of 400 foot apartment towers planned/UC will look pretty good though.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Anyway, I appreciate both (I'm glad development has gotten going again, under Obama), but I really like the contemporary Cascadian architecture best. Our city council always uses Seattle and Vancouver as examples/models when talking about what we should do, but I can't help but feel like y'all are just really far ahead of us; and everyone else, for that matter. I'm sure at a later time, everyone else will realize it and it will be widely acknowledged.
If there is a true Cascadian style, IMO its Vancouver that has the lock on it and Seattle and Portland are playing catch up:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
I think the best looking towers to go up in the area in recent years would be the Bellevue Towers project. Better than anything that went up in Seattle proper in my humble opinion. I'm thinking this next phase of 400 foot apartment towers planned/UC will look pretty good though.
I agree. They look like they belong in Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I guess. Sometimes I don't like it because it stands out so much and dominates our skyline, but that will change once we get buildings of comparable size built, like the Fairmont.
Wow. That's different.

BTW don't get me wrong..........I like what's happening in Seattle.....just know it can get better.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:34 AM

New project in SLU:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:45 AM

Seattle housing occupancy rate 13th highest in U.S.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/m...rate-13th.html

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
New project in SLU:

Which project is this - is it the new hotel over by Amazon?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 2:44 AM
Never Dell

No, this would be office. On Fairview.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 3:26 AM

^ Thanks Mhays. Tough to keep all the SLU proposals straight these days.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:11 AM

South Lake Union office-tower project to start minus tenant

Dexter Station in South Lake Union will be city’s largest “speculative” project in five years.

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...tationxml.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:28 AM
Never Dell

This stairsteps up the hill rather than being a real highrise. large design review file from 2008: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID2129.pdf

The 250,000 sf (??) at Mercer and 9th is also starting at any moment -- they recently said January.

Along with Amazon's first new tower where the fence recently went up in advance of demo, plus the scattering of small office buildings currently underway on the Downtown fringes, and others making noises about starting this year, well, who'da thunk an office flurry would happen in this economy?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 8:28 AM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
If there is a true Cascadian style, IMO its Vancouver that has the lock on it and Seattle and Portland are playing catch up:

that's a great shot of vancouver, wow. that said, i really like seattle and hope you folks get back on track - vancouver isn't bad, but the sidewalks are tiny, there's barely any grit left, the buildings are all the same, there's no color there, there's no muscularity there.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 5:01 PM
Never Dell

We're moving toward being more like Vancouver, but it's a process of several decades. We have boom after boom, but each is just a few punches in a long fight, including the current boom which might be #1 of all of them, and certainly is from a residential perspective (8,000 units so far, in 2,000 acres, a first for us).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
We're moving toward being more like Vancouver, but it's a process of several decades. We have boom after boom, but each is just a few punches in a long fight, including the current boom which might be #1 of all of them, and certainly is from a residential perspective (8,000 units so far, in 2,000 acres, a first for us).
Good for Seattle, it is nice to see cities outside NY, CHI and SF that are trying to build up the urban centers. Happy construction to Seattle and Portland as well.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:29 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergie View Post
Good for Seattle, it is nice to see cities outside NY, CHI and SF that are trying to build up the urban centers. Happy construction to Seattle and Portland as well.
It's more a factor of geography than anything else. There really isn't anywhere else to go.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 4:29 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
It's more a factor of geography than anything else. There really isn't anywhere else to go.
Only to a point.

The region has implemented growth management. Each country restricts growth outside a certain boundary; in King County (the largest) the line is drawn somewhat tightly. Meanwhile the City of Seattle tries to concentrate growth in a couple dozen "urban village" districts around town (reducing pressure on single-family areas), with greater Downtown being the center of the village concept. We could sprawl a lot more than we do now, basically continuing what we did until the 90s.

On the flip side, Seattle (city of) is pretty full. Our density numbers aren't very high (about 7,300/sm right now) due to our original focus on single-family, but we fill our land. Vacant lots are rare, and we don't even have many post-industrial sites. The only major exception is parking lots and other underused properties in business districts. So those are getting filled at a high rate.

Car dealerships and supermarkets are interesting to watch. Supermarkets are being built or rebuilt with housing on top, all over town. Car dealerships are increasingly moving to cheaper spots and/or building garages. A site that's desirable for 200 housing units is wasted as some dealership's back lot.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:00 PM

If so much is going on, if this is the biggest boom you've seen, then I'd love to see more updates about it on this forum. Or is there somewhere else people are primarily posting about it? I know sometimes it's a chore to go out and take pictures or cross-post articles here for others to read, but lots of people like to follow this kind of stuff, even if it's not in their city.

Austin is also experiencing it's biggest boom ever. We have around 20 downtown developments going on this year. Downtown Austin is going to feel like one big construction zone for the next 2 years. We've always used Cascadian cities as a model. Of course, we have a lot more catching up to do than Seattle, but we're making up for lost time. It's not that we necessarily want to be a big city. We just don't want to be a flat city.

So, yeah, update moar, guys! People are interested. How can we imitate you guys if you don't show us what to do?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 8:44 PM

^^^ I second that! If you have construction updates show it to us, we're starving!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:25 PM
Never Dell

I'm limited because I work for a contractor and have to respect confidentiality, and generally shouldn't talk about other firms. Also I don't do pics. And this thread is about highrises only. But generally, in a "greater Downtown" area of about 2,000 acres:

Transit includes (a) a light rail tunnel underway from Downtown for three miles to Capitol Hill and the University of Washington (extending our existing single LR line), and (b) a new streetcar underway from around Union Station to First Hill and Capitol Hill. Also King Street Station, used by Amtrak and commuter rail, is getting a sizeable historic restoration.

Office construction currently includes a scattering of small building on the Downtown peripheries, four that I can think of (a fifth, for Amazon, just opened). Demo is about to start for a 38(?) story, 1.1 msf tower for Amazon, the first of three similar towers, which will take their HQ past 6 msf. Developers will start another 600,000 sf or so in the next month in two lowrise (six stories or so) buildings in the South Lake Union area. South Lake Union has a handful of other proposed projects planned, often at 12 stories and 160'. A variety of other projects are planned, including sizeable towers, but they haven't announced plans for anytime soon.

Hotels are lining up and should start starting this year. The 10-month occupancy rate was 80% through October and room rates have been rising, so it's time. We also just closed 200 of our 12,000 Downtown rooms for demo for the first Amazon tower.

We've been having periodic housing booms since 1980-1982. The current one has totaled 8,000 units started since 2010. That might be a bit more than the 2005-2010 boom, and it's way above the three before that. That includes projects now underway of 40, 40, 39, 27, 25, 25, 24, 24, 24, 13, 10, and 10 stories, with the other half of the current projects being woodframe. (That's counting a project that's currently shoring in advance of excavation, so being pretty liberal.) Completions in the current boom peak at 17, 16, and 16 stories. Going forward, a similar number is in the short-term planning stages. That doesn't include master planned stuff, particularly the reconstruction of the Yesler Terrace public housing complex on First Hill, which will replace about 550 units with 3,000 to 5,000 over at least a decade aided by a private developer now being chosen.

The laboratory sector is pretty slow. One building is underway, an addition to the University of Washington's satellite lab complex (the UW is perennially the #1 public university in NIH grants).

The hospital sector is also slow. Greater Downtown has three major hospitals, and all have recently finished buildings (past few years), but none have anything major underway.

On the highway front, we're currently building a 9,000-foot deep-bore tunnel for Highway 99 to bypass Downtown. This is in the early stages (digging the pit for the giant boring machine, which will be shipped soon) and will open in three years. This will allow us to get rid of our current Elliott Bay waterfront viaduct and an existing six-block tunnel, and reconnect three blocks that are currently cut in half by a surface portion of 99 in the South Lake Union area.

Related to the waterfront, we're building a $200m seawall fix. After that, and after the viaduct is gone, we have a lot of roadwork and public space to build, similar to San Francisco's Embarcadero. The new surface road will take much of the "local" portion of the viaduct's current traffic. Another related project is redoing the Mercer/Broad/Valley area in South Lake Union and Lower Queen Anne, one outcome of which will be a much smaller volume of traffic along the lake, knitting neighborhoods back together, and providing a direct (vs. convoluted) westbound traffic route. Phase II (out of II) starts this month or next.

Two museums have opened in the past six months. One is the Chihuly Gardens and Glass, next to the Space Needle. The other is the relocated Museum of History & Industry in a historic building on a pier over Lake Union. Another museum, the Experience Music Project / Science Fiction Museum (a combo) is building one of the four office buildings I counted.

If we get an NBA team, we could start an arena, which I'd guess is a year out.

On the retail front, a new City Target just opened at 102,000 sf, of which maybe 80% is the store itself. Otherwise no major projects in the past year. Well, one...the Pike Place Market finished the last phase of its renovations, which covered a few city blocks. They plan a parking garage and more retail and public space overlooking the waterfront, which might be a year away from starting.

Edit: I forgot colleges. City University of Seattle is moving from the suburbs and opens this month in the Belltown neighborhood. Northeastern University opens a small office in South Lake Union also this month. Was reminded by a headline. Seattle University has big plans, particularly on the housing front, but nothing major currently. Seattle Central Community College isn't building. On the downside, the Art Institute of Seattle might move outside Downtown.

Last edited by mhays; Jan 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations