HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:35 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

The city knows me, just not by this name.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:57 AM

Oh I'm sure they do. I'm known too, in my main two cities. Somewhat negatively, in one case, and positively, in the second. These experiences have made me realize how gratifying it is to be appreciated at the municipal level. FWIW this is one argument in favor of this project, if I ever have enough free time and spare money anytime soon (i.e. I trust I'd be welcomed in TB)

I would hope that you are recognized by the city as a force for good - can't be sure though, it's possible they'd instead have labeled you a royal pain in the ass. Same thing, slightly different perspective

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:35 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

Depends on who. The city administration, for the most part, doesn't have any issues with me. The goals of my group are pretty in line with the goals of the city. The councillors might think otherwise but they're not the most important part of city government in Ontario and since many are new, I still have to make an impression on them.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 12:35 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sucks that Thunder Bay is so far away from here and so inconveniently located (for visits / going back and forth). I'm already geographically spread a bit more than would be ideal (one upside of that is that I'm having eggs in various baskets, but it doesn't make up for inconvenience of management), and I have no possible reason to ever go to NWO. If my gf had relatives there (like the typical Anglo, she has family in places like Calgary and Halifax) then that would already be something.

A project like that in my hometown's downtown, I wouldn't hesitate. (And I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested.)

Still not saying 100% no, though. You only live once, but a street named after you lives forever.

Also I'd absolutely love to see the face of the people at the city's economic development commission when they'd ask how come an outsider like me got interested in investing in TB and I'd link them to this thread and say it's all thanks to this 'vid' guy...
That building's location (the fact that it's in Thunder Bay and not a less remote place) is likely a big reason why no one has scooped it up yet.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 12:23 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

The whole neighbourhood has a stigma against it locally, as well. No one wants to be the one to try to turn it around. The slum lords who own most of the properties here are content sucking dry the wallets of the poor, and those with the means to actually gentrify this neighbourhood are more focused on the north end.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That building's location (the fact that it's in Thunder Bay and not a less remote place) is likely a big reason why no one has scooped it up yet.
Of course.

However, from what vid just said, it might be an interesting deal from a local and long-term perspective - it's in a centrally-located neighborhood that hasn't yet been "discovered", and could be gentrified eventually.

My gf would hate the idea of me opening yet another new front though. I'm already pretty scattered all over the place without adding a project in another faraway location...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:25 AM

That huge (for such a small city) building on the NE corner of May and George is pretty impressive. Looks to be from ~1930 based on the style...?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 5:39 PM
Out of Myself

Everything I wanted to know about Thunder Bay, but was a afraid to ask!! Nice thread!!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 9:26 PM

A vivid documenting of the end of the world - thank you very much!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 12:28 AM
Posh

Clouds.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 7:59 PM

thanks for the pics. My sister and her family lived for a couple of years in Fort William (in the late 60's, and I don't think Thunder Bay had come into being yet). As I recall she lived in a new development at the time on a street called Agate Bay, and in the distance from the back of her house you could see Mt. McKay. Driving there I remember little kids of Indian background (I know, that's not PC! Okay, "indigenous." ) coming up to the car asking for candy. Also I recall there was still an Eaton's store in downtown Ft. Wm. (or was it in Port Arthur?). Great scenery everywhere, like the Sleeping Giant. One day we drove to the Minnesota border, just beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 11:28 PM
unignorable quasi-mod

Eatons was in Port Arthur, Fort William had Chapples, a local department store.

Agate Bay was built in the early 1960s, part of the Northwood Park development. The high school they built just after those houses were built closed last year due to low enrollment and structural damage caused by being built in a swamp.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Eatons was in Port Arthur, Fort William had Chapples, a local department store.

Agate Bay was built in the early 1960s, part of the Northwood Park development. The high school they built just after those houses were built closed last year due to low enrollment and structural damage caused by being built in a swamp.
thanks. I remember Chapples now. My sister shopped there. Don't recall whether there was a Simpsons or Bay store in the area. I think in the intervening years (50+!) a mall was built, correct?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 12:38 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

Simpsons-Sears was built as an anchor for a mall located between the two cities, across the river (which has since been expanded and re-routed as part of a flood prevention system for Fort William's east end) from the CLE, the grounds of which is largely occupied by a cinema (the only one in the city). The racetrack was gone by the time I was born. That mall, being the only real mall in the region, does quite well, with low vacancy rates and high customer volumes. It's pushing the limits of its property so parking is a pain in the ass sometimes, they have parking lots across and up the street for busy days.

I don't recall there ever being a Bay here, other than the actual Fort itself being a Hudson Bay trading post. The building they traded furs in after the fort closed is still standing on Simpson Street, but most of what stood on this street when you lived here is long gone.

Speaking of malls, there was one built not too far from your sister's old house in the late 1960s, its still around but like most malls, not very thriving.

Chapples closed in 1981 after a fire. If you want more pessimism, check out this article about Victoriaville Mall: http://www.chroniclejournal.com/opin...ff2156934.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos