HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 3:43 PM

[Dartmouth] 181 Pleasant Street | 21 m | 7 fl | Proposed

New project for a triangle shaped site at 181 Pleasant Street in Dartmouth. Designed by Michael Napier and Associates.

The project is proposed to consist of a 7-storey building with a total of 49 residential units (24 one-bedroom units, 5 one-bedroom + den units, 12 two-bedroom units, and 8 two bedroom + den units). There would be 2 levels of enclosed parking with 39 parking spaces proposed.

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...528Details.php

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 4:09 PM

It looks mighty close to the street. Developers seem allergic to setbacks.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:21 PM

Looks like a pretty decent development. I used to live a couple streets over from this site and it seems like a good fit for the area.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:36 PM

Looks pretty nasty on the Southdale side, and as Keith said: very tight to the street. Napier usually does much better than this.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Looks pretty nasty on the Southdale side, and as Keith said: very tight to the street. Napier usually does much better than this.
The plans are more than 3 years old and the traffic study is from March 21 2012, which may become outdated in light of the proposed new P-9 school at Prince Arthur.
I think there was a gas station on the site many years ago.
Th e nearby Sobeys property is an ideal location for a similar development.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Isn't it considered good planning to avoid setbacks on major streets? Especially if planning for the eventual possibility of commercial space?

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The plans are more than 3 years old and the traffic study is from March 21 2012, which may become outdated in light of the proposed new P-9 school at Prince Arthur.
I think there was a gas station on the site many years ago.
Th e nearby Sobeys property is an ideal location for a similar development.
IIRC, a gas station and then a convenience store, followed by the current empty lot.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Isn't it considered good planning to avoid setbacks on major streets? Especially if planning for the eventual possibility of commercial space?
Having buildings close to the side walk (zero setback) does help animate the street and create the 'eyes on the street' principal (with commercial units at grade).

Sometimes encouraging a building to setback from the property line may help to further create animation by allowing for a seating area. A good example is an outdoor cafe or restaurant - if the applicant has shadow studies showing the street area will get a lot of sun and they have someone lined up for a restaurant then this would be a good mix for a summer outdoor patio. So you'd set the building back 1-3 metres to provide a narrow patio area which could then move into some of the sidewalk (through a patio permit).

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 2:07 AM

As with the recently finished apartment building on Portland near five corners, or even the Canal Bridge condo, this looks like an attempt to situate a really awkwardly shaped building on an unsuitable piece of property. It'll look very silly if it ever gets built, especially if it's covered in that god-awful concrete fibre siding.

The more I look at the renderings the more annoyed I get. Tiny four-pane windows on seven stories of grey siding. Only in Dartmouth.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:50 PM

Public Information Meeting for this project will be held on October 22nd at 7pm at Alderney Gate Library.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 12:57 AM

The MPS/LUB amendments are now in effect. This should receive final approval from HECC on Thursday.

Case 19528 - 181 Pleasant Street

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The MPS/LUB amendments are now in effect. This should receive final approval from HECC on Thursday.

Case 19528 - 181 Pleasant Street
There will be a public hearing at a later date, November or December before the project is approved.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:24 AM

Quote:
There will be a public hearing at a later date, November or December before the project is approved.
Oops sorry ... I was reading the Pemberley Suites proposal which has final approval this week.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Oops sorry ... I was reading the Pemberley Suites proposal which has final approval this week.
The Pemberley Suites proposal should be rejected. The proposal was approved under policy N-5, encouraging families to locate in the area and thus support local schools.
The developer told regional council that his target market is seniors.
I cannot think of any reason why seniors would want to live in a building full of seniors, unless they like attending monthly funerals.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 11:10 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
I cannot think of any reason why seniors would want to live in a building full of seniors, unless they like attending monthly funerals.
I am a senior and I am not dead yet - hopefully about 25 years to go yet. I have lived in buildings with a number of seniors and we had a wonderful time. We actually talked to each other and met for coffee and took road trips and some of us went to several overseas destinations as well as trips all over North America and some of us played euchre on a regular business and we had dinners in each others apartments and had parties and I could go on and on.
I also lived in a 55 plus snowbird community in Florida and we did all of the above as well as all kinds of weekly functions.
Sometimes we go to funerals - not often and sometimes we go to funerals for some young people who died long before they should have.
BTW if you don't go to funerals you are missing some great social gatherings

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I deleted a bunch of off-topic posts. These threads don't all have to stay focused exactly on the single development they were created for but please try to keep the discussion roughly focused on development. Other stuff can go on in the general sections.

There were also a bunch of mean-spirited comments. Those have no place anywhere on the forum.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 12:46 AM

This one was approved this evening at Harbour East Community Council

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 3:29 AM

It's good to have a councillor back on the forum again!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 4:28 AM
we built this city

Its also good to see things getting approved in Dartmouth.

The HRM is really transforming it seems. Improved public transit would make things accelerate.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth