HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 10:25 AM

Skid row negatives, 1955

Skid row negatives, 1955

Skid row negatives, 28 January 1955. Showing flop houses; Showing a renovated hotel at 518 San Julian St. and ramshackle structures at side. Fresh coat of paint on the boulevard of broken dreams.

USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961

Skid row negatives, 1955 (2)

Skid row negatives, 28 January 1955. Showing Julius Willig in his neat, cheap hotel room. The trick is to have a routine and to not give in. I love this picture. The tan line tells me Julius just got a haircut. But what do they say about a hat on a bed?

Skid row negatives, 1955 (3)

Skid row negatives, 28 January 1955. Shot of San Julian Street, detail. Once it was shiny and bright and you could still smell the paint. Nice little Studebaker pick-up.

Skid row negatives, 1955 (4)

Skid row negatives, 28 January 1955. Showing San Julian Street. At least, in these parts you can sit on the stoop in January and talk about the earlier times. Two prosperous looking gents down the sidewalk (one guy pointing up at some important detail) are from the charity, the men with the money, a tour, as they say, a tour to see what can be done. Even brought a photographer, maybe do a spread in the paper, something to reassure the folks who read such things, that things could be worse.

Skid row negatives, 1955 (5)

Skid row negatives, 28 January 1955. Killing time. Once upon a time that suit spent time in an office. Now it waits with its friends for the men who are coming today to do a walk-through. Maybe they will believe we dress like this everyday.

Skid row negatives, 1955 (6)

Skid row negatives, 28 January 1955. Killing more time. Some men are coming today to look at the building. Mind your manners. Hey, somebody turn on the TV.

Skid row negatives, 1955 (7)

Skid row negatives, 28 January 1955. The room.

Skid row negatives, 1955 (8)

Skid row negatives, 28 January 1955. Breath of air.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
...I was. In my haste I thought we had found it. My bad.
Re:

We will find it, dead, or alive!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Re:

We will find it, dead, or alive!
Have a strong suspicion that your quarry existed at 4032 Wilshire Blvd. Contemporaneous to Schultheis' hobby, a handful of physicians and dentists occupied a two-story structure at the 4032 Wilshire address.

The building that may have replaced your stuccoed unicorn was erected in 1961.

PS: MR - nice work in tracking down your unicorn! or is it a morderne white whale?

Last edited by BifRayRock; Sep 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Have a strong suspicion that your quarry existed at 4032 Wilshire Blvd. Contemporaneous to Schultheis' hobby, a handful of physicians and dentists occupied a two-story structure at the 4032 Wilshire address.

Well if that's the case, then it must appear, at least peripherally, in one of the hundreds of shots of Wilshire. Is there a more photographed street on this thread? If it's there, or at the minimum, a shot of 4032 pre-'61 showing what was there if not this building.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

PS: MR - nice work in tracking down your unicorn! or is it a morderne white whale?
The previous building does have a similar shape to the streamline in Schultheis' picture
http://www.historicaerials.com/aeria...6501&year=1954

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Great color shots you're finding, gsjansen and ethereal. Interesting to see the downtown Silverwoods, Desmond's, and Mullen Bluett stores in this shot. Here are their Miracle Mile branches:

LAPL

LAPL
These two stores were in the west and east wings, respectively, of the the Wilshire Tower, 5514 Wilshire Blvd.

LAPL
Mullen Bluett was at 5570 Wilshire.

A more "noirish" view of the same area -in broad daylight.

February 26, 1958 "These are the mortal remains of ______, 39, who was a statistical analyst for Wilton Becket & Assoc. From sixth floor of Prudential Buliding, 5657 Wilshire.".

USC Digital

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:58 PM

San Julian - 56 years later.

That's where San Julian dead-ends @Fifth.

Wood frame houses to the left have been replaced by a park. A locked and gated park, but a park nonetheless. The three-story SRO with the arched doorway at the end of the street remains, as does the four-story bldg next to it.

Beyond that the neighborhood doesn't seem to have changed much. Poor people have been replaced by homeless people.

[google streetview image later]

Last edited by malumot; Sep 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Well if that's the case, then it must appear, at least peripherally, in one of the hundreds of shots of Wilshire. Is there a more photographed street on this thread? If it's there, or at the minimum, a shot of 4032 pre-'61 showing what was there if not this building.
This is similar to locating an aerial shot of Bob's Airmail Service. It wasn't there for but a few short years.

I suspect that the 4032 edifice was built in the late '30s and maybe even late '37. Anecdotal evidence suggests the building presently occupying the land was built in '61, but that does not mean the stuccoed unicorn was there for the photographing until '61. (Remember the Garden of Allah and paved paradise?) The directory supports the notion that it was occupied by medical practitioners through the '50s.

No guaranties, only suspicions.

If I only had the eyes of an eagle. Circa 1957
lapl

(On to exploring Figueroa and 9th aka the “20¢ Times” Movie Theater)

PS: Nice effort Westcork! I found it fascinating scrolling west on Wilshire and viewing Simon's at Fairfax (different years). Too bad there is no (apparent) coverage for Bob's at Cochran ('34-'36 (??))

Last edited by BifRayRock; Sep 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:04 PM

Eyes of a very nearsighted eagle:

Above is a fragment of http://jpg1.lapl.org/00093/00093844.jpg

Norton Ave is the angling cross street at left; 4055 Wilshire at the ne corner is still there as is 4041; it appears that the current 4045-49 and 4041 to its right were remodeled, with a little of the original still showing. And the building on the south side of Wilshire at the far right of the pic where the current 4032 Wilshire now stands... is this the unicorn?

PS Photo dated 1957 by LAPL

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Sep 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:

Eyes of a very nearsighted eagle:

Above is a fragment of http://jpg1.lapl.org/00093/00093844.jpg

Norton Ave is the angling cross street at left; 4055 Wilshire at the ne corner is still there as is 4041; it appears that the current 4045-49 and 4041 to its right were remodeled, with a little of the original still showing. And the building on the south side of Wilshire at the far right of the pic where the current 4032 Wilshire now stands... is this the unicorn?

PS Photo dated 1957 by LAPL
I can easily make out Perino's on the other side of the street (4100 block). In the un-enlarged image, I am not sure what I can see in your enlargement. Could be my eyesight or my monitor, or a combination of both.

Suffice it to say, my hunch was based on anecdotal evidence. The structure, I think you are focusing on, looks slightly larger than one might expect from the original source photograph, but it looks like it is a relatively modest two-story structure with a driveway to the west. The source also dates the image to '37, and who knows whether the building underwent alterations in the next 20 years?

Last edited by BifRayRock; Sep 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:51 PM

4032 Wilshire

You may be on to something with Wilshire. Here is a piece of a 1954 Satellite shot:

Dead center seems to be our building. It's the right location and shape.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:54 PM

It's sad that most of these once glamorous areas of Los Angeles are now reduced to slums. I have lived in Long Beach, CA my entire life and have always been fascinated with old Los Angeles. Unfortunately, due to the degredation of the area I have only been down on Broadway twice in my entire life. I love seeing these buildings in person, but it is sad to see them neglected and falling apart in an area of town that is now not a great plac eto hang out and spend the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Tally's New Broadway Theater at 6th ST. & Broadway.

usc digital archive

Can you imagine what this looked like at night with the exceptional electric signs (especially in 1905).

Below: Amazingly, the Elden Hotel building (1894) to the left of Tally's New Broadway is still there.

HomeE / you-are-here.com

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 7:06 PM

Historic Aerials

I'm now thinking 4032 Wilshire is a red herring... a blowup of what once occupied the lot reveals an asymmetric facade... back to square one.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 7:16 PM

Well, pwrof3, the same is probably true of downtown Long Beach as well as many other American cities.... Also, downtown L.A. is in the best shape it's been in in decades. Take the Blue Line up to check it out for yourself.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
L.A. Times photo

Mickey and LaVonne Cohen's house at 513 Moreno Ave., Brentwood, 1949. Wonder if it still looks anything like this? (Note the Caddy convertible in front. In addition to his bulletproof Fleetwood, Mickey was given to ordering two other Cadillacs every year--apparently with money he should have been sending to the IRS instead.)
This is over two years old, but here is Cohen's Brentwood home today. Even the garage door is the same.
Bing Maps, Microsoft.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 7:44 PM

Maybe.

I don't put a lot of stock in these 'dates' but this shot may be a bit early. But regardless, there is a smallish, rounded building in our spot here...

Wilshire corridor, ca.1930

Aerial view of Wilshire corridor looking east to downtown Los Angeles. Buildings along Wilshire are lightly interspersed among residential housing. In the center left is the dome of the Wilshire Blvd. Temple. The Pellissier Building, housing the Warner Bros. Western Theatre (later renamed the Wiltern) is opposite and down from the Temple. In the top center is the City Hall tower and to the right of the tower is the business district of Los Angeles.

LAPL

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Well, pwrof3, the same is probably true of downtown Long Beach as well as many other American cities.... Also, downtown L.A. is in the best shape it's been in in decades. Take the Blue Line up to check it out for yourself.
Oh, I know! Downtown Long Beach is pretty bad these days. Probably worse than Los Angeles.
I went to downtown LA last year and spent time at the Pueblo de Los Angeles, Pershing Square, Angels' Flight and the historic section of Broadway in what is now the diamond district (old Warner's theater).
It was in much better shape than when I went in the ealry 1990s, but it is still far from where it could be if people showed pride in their neighborhood. Lots of trash, broken curbs, sidewalks that haven't properly cleaned in decades. Of course, most of that is the city's fault for not taking care of the older parts of town (unless your by city hall).
I hope to head back to that area sometime soon just for the pure joy of seeing so many historical buildings. Although, when I was there last year, I felt like I was the only one who even knew the history of these buildings. Most folks didn't seem to care.
I hope to stay in the Biltmore one of these weekends just for fun.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 8:00 PM

Quote:
I'm now thinking 4032 Wilshire is a red herring... a blowup of what once occupied the lot reveals an asymmetric facade... back to square one.

By no means dispositive, please look at the 1948 footprint. http://www.historicaerials.com/aeria...6501&year=1948 Looks slightly more symmetrical to my tired old eyes.

With respect, I think the proof would be in locating a full frontal view. Too bad Ansel rarely, if ever, responds to e-mails. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that the info is contained in a forgotten non-digitized and coffee-stained journal kept by photographer Herman S. that reposes at the LAPL. The sequence of negatives (images captured before and after) might also hold several clues - if they exist.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 8:12 PM

It does look more symmetrical there-- other than finding photographer's notes, perhaps someone tuning in has an LAPL library card and can access Sanborn maps online, which are usually very accurate in depicting the shapes of buildings... I access them thru NYU down the block from my apt, but I'm not in the city right now....

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:

It does look more symmetrical there-- other than finding photographer's notes, perhaps someone tuning in has an LAPL library card and can access Sanborn maps online, which are usually very accurate in depicting the shapes of buildings... I access them thru NYU down the block from my apt, but I'm not in the city right now....
Upon reexamination of the original photo, it is not exactly clear that the subject building is a perfect square or rectangular.

It could be due to the angle or the the lens used, but . . . one "wing" of the building (bearing the placard) may be sitting a few feet forward of the other. However, unless one of the images were reversed, this seems opposite of what is depicted in your later found image. The earlier '48 image is blurry enough to chalk up to time of day conditions (or maybe the fact that pilot was distracted - by saucer shaped objects looking to land next to the mother ship (Simons @ Wilshire and Fairfax). Parenthetically, I wonder if the original building was on a hill or slightly elevated when compared to whatever is to the viewer's left of the building? (Could be time to look toward Maywood.)

Last edited by BifRayRock; Sep 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos