HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 11:25 PM
BANNED

This is why dallas is the best city in the state of texas.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 1:49 AM

If I'm not mistaken tract 6C is next to the Mondrian and has turned out to be a 5 story apt building with no retail which is under construction now.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantan26 View Post
If I'm not mistaken tract 6C is next to the Mondrian and has turned out to be a 5 story apt building with no retail which is under construction now.
You are correct. The model shown on the website depicts a tower with an attached garage. Instead they are doing the apartments over a garage. It makes sense being that this site is a little remote from the remainder of the West Village retail. In the Mondrian the retail is concentrated at the corner facing the main shopping area with retail along McKinney Ave.

I'm not sure were the previous poster is coming up with the stats for a 43 story tower and multiple 20 story towers. That sounds more like the grand proposal from the 1980's when Cityplace tower was built, its twin was to be on the other side of the freeway, and everything was built using pink granite. But looking at the models that Forest City has, those towers are in the highrise range (20-30) floors not the 43 stories stated. Which is more in line with the overlay that this area has been using as its development guideline.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
You are correct. The model shown on the website depicts a tower with an attached garage. Instead they are doing the apartments over a garage. It makes sense being that this site is a little remote from the remainder of the West Village retail. In the Mondrian the retail is concentrated at the corner facing the main shopping area with retail along McKinney Ave.

I'm not sure were the previous poster is coming up with the stats for a 43 story tower and multiple 20 story towers. That sounds more like the grand proposal from the 1980's when Cityplace tower was built, its twin was to be on the other side of the freeway, and everything was built using pink granite. But looking at the models that Forest City has, those towers are in the highrise range (20-30) floors not the 43 stories stated. Which is more in line with the overlay that this area has been using as its development guideline.
Yeah, spots being approved for certain heights and buildings that tall actually being built on those spots are two different things. I think the original poster's enthusiasm was causing him to jump to some conclusions. None of the concrete plans I've seen mention towers approaching 40+ stories and I seem to recall planners/developers explicitly stating that there would not be towers built approaching the height of the original Cityplace tower (42 stories, I believe).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 9:49 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The information I've posted concerning Cityplace's development plans for the last remaining vacant tracts on the west side of Central Expressway comes straight from Cityplace's own website - the page is titled "Future Development Sites":

http://www.cityplace.org/Cityplace-S...ent-Sites.aspx

If you scroll down that specific page it provides the densities and heights allowed for each of the remaining tracts.

I will just go out on a limb right now and state that I really don't believe Cityplace would be publishing stale 1980's era data on their current website where they are discussing the development plans for their last 6 tracts.

Just a wild guess but somehow I don't believe that page on their website is based on anything resembling out-of-date 1980's data but is instead current data.

----------------------------------------------------

Nowhere in my post did I state that the two 43 story towers are imminent, much less concrete plans published.

In fact, I went out of my way to state that Cityplace would start them based on market demand. I think some people just do not pay close enough attention to what they read because I was very careful not to say these towers are imminent.

Although quite frankly apparently 3 of the 6 tracts are under active planning right now per Cityplace's own statements in the second paragraph of the above link to the "Future Development Sites" page.

Verbatim quote from Cityplace:

"Development plans are underway on three other currently vacant tracts that will see Cityplace’s first hotel and two other high rise towers." This clearly suggests that development plans are underway for a total of three highrise towers (which would not include 6C).

Just because zoning is in place to allow twin 43 story towers and four 20 story towers does not mean that Cityplace will build them.

However, their executives have been quoted as saying they are going to become very selective and picky about how the remaining vacant tracts are developed.

In an interview late last year with Neal Sleeper, President of Cityplace Company, Mr. Sleeper was quoted as saying:

"The vacant land along the west side of North Central, including property that previously housed the Hank Haney Golf Center, will be developed into some of the highest density uses in the project, Sleeper said. It will likely be a mix of residential and commercial space.

"We are planning on the last 16 acres being the icing on the cake," he said."

Interview article here: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...-its-5607.ece#

According to a knowledgeable member of the Dallas Metropolis forum in a recent post he made concerning this topic, the site plans and renderings seen on the Cityplace website date from a study in 2008 that details the build out of the remaining Cityplace tracts as being Forest City's next focus when the economy has returned.

The 2008 Study included this rendering among many others of what they would like to pursue for the area including this little visionary...

;
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The MATA Turntable and DART Station portal sets between tracts 8A and 8C.

8A is zoned up to 270 feet and 20 stories and 8C is zoned up to 546 feet and 43 stories. And on Cityplace's website they discuss 8C containing a hotel as part of its mix.

The above rendering looks pretty dense and pretty tall. I don't think one can sit and literally count the floors in a sketch like that and it be accurate, but even doing so the 8C tower is easily 35 stories in the rendering if not taller.

Tract 7A is currently being developed, or is very near to breaking ground, with a 20 story residential tower as part of that project:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...st-village.ece

Pay particular attention to the quote in the article that says:

"Sleeper said Wednesday that his company will own the retail in the planned buildings and Forest City would have the apartments above. Cityplace Co. has taken a similar approach to other buildings in the development.

Dallas architects Good Fulton & Farrell are working on designs for a 20-story building, according to the design firm’s website."

Here are the current renderings for the tract 7A project that show the 20 story apartment tower along with a lower 5-6 story retail/residential component:

And here is a rendering from Cityplace Company's website that shows tracts 7A, 7B and 8A:

You can see the 20 story 7A tower (under development now), a 20 story tower on 7B, and a 20 story tower on 8A.

If you look behind these three towers you can see the Mondrian and to its right is an empty spot where nothing is being shown for tract 6C for some reason.

Just as a recap, I'm not saying that twin 43 story towers are imminent in Cityplace.

I'm not saying that four 20 story towers are imminent in Cityplace, although clearly one 20 story tower is under development right now based on released data through the press.

What I said, and I repeat, is that the plans Cityplace has for their remaining few vacant tracts are for much higher density and are to be "the icing on the cake" as Cityplace's President Neal Sleeper was quoted in November of 2010 as saying.

Last edited by skys the limit; Sep 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit View Post

Just because zoning is in place to allow twin 43 story towers and four 20 story towers does not mean that Cityplace will build them.
That's the entirety of my point.

When you said "Two 43 story skyscrapers and four 20 story highrise towers are also scheduled for construction in this same area" in your original post, it seemed to suggest otherwise.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 12:13 AM

^^^^^^^^
You did in fact ask that question in your post # 1919 and I did in fact answer it in my post # 1920:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1920

Where I clearly stated:

"Cityplace executives have been quoted as saying they are saving these tracts for some very dense and signature types of development since there is no more land upon which to develop.

Cityplace has also said that they expect their last remaining tracts to be developed before the end of this decade. They have not indicated when the exact timetable is for the 43 story towers to be built but I'm sure demand will play a major role in the timing."

Regardless, if I were a betting man I would bet big money on Cityplace turning these last handfull of tracts into spectacular, major developments to be "the icing on the cake" as their President said in November of 2010.

On the Cityplace website, there is a reference to the fact that Cityplace is planning on the last three highest density tracts "containing over 2,000,000 square feet of mixed-use development – including retail, office, hotel and residential will be built."

2,000,000+ square feet spread over three small tracts is a lot of development, which means the only way to fulfill that goal is by going upward.

As a point of reference Mondrian, which is 333,000 square feet in size, is 20 stories tall.

I'm just re-stating what Cityplace Company has made abundantly clear on their website is their development plan and desire for the scarce few remaining tracts in what has become a wildly successful development.

I believe there is absolutely no reason for Cityplace to squander those last few tracts when the urban density and amenities serving the Cityplace area are reaching a critical mass that will allow the densest development yet to occur.

Anyway, we're saying the same thing.

I say "Cheers" to Dallas' continued good fortune and hopefully seeing the maximum development density built on these last few Cityplace tracts as this is what is scheduled for the area if all goes as Cityplace wishes.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 1:42 AM

Quote:
^^^^^^^^
You did in fact ask that question in your post # 1919 and I did in fact answer it in my post # 1920:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1920

Where I clearly stated:

"Cityplace executives have been quoted as saying they are saving these tracts for some very dense and signature types of development since there is no more land upon which to develop.

Cityplace has also said that they expect their last remaining tracts to be developed before the end of this decade. They have not indicated when the exact timetable is for the 43 story towers to be built but I'm sure demand will play a major role in the timing."

Regardless, if I were a betting man I would bet big money on Cityplace turning these last handfull of tracts into spectacular, major developments to be "the icing on the cake" as their President said in November of 2010.

On the Cityplace website, there is a reference to the fact that Cityplace is planning on the last three highest density tracts "containing over 2,000,000 square feet of mixed-use development – including retail, office, hotel and residential will be built."

2,000,000+ square feet spread over three small tracts is a lot of development, which means the only way to fulfill that goal is by going upward.

As a point of reference Mondrian, which is 333,000 square feet in size, is 20 stories tall.

I'm just re-stating what Cityplace Company has made abundantly clear on their website is their development plan and desire for the scarce few remaining tracts in what has become a wildly successful development.

I believe there is absolutely no reason for Cityplace to squander those last few tracts when the urban density and amenities serving the Cityplace area are reaching a critical mass that will allow the densest development yet to occur.

Anyway, we're saying the same thing.

I say "Cheers" to Dallas' continued good fortune and hopefully seeing the maximum development density built on these last few Cityplace tracts as this is what is scheduled for the area if all goes as Cityplace wishes.
So you contradicted yourself. I'm only citing the things you've said.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 4:19 AM

No, I didn't. You just seem to be speaking a different language apparently.

For some strange reason you seem to have a hang up over this and I'm really tired of what seems to be a tedious back and forth. Oh what the he'll, have it your way! I contradicted myself!

How are things in San Diego????

I understand San Diego's squat skyline and lack of skyscrapers is an ordinance thing, correct? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6704

Last edited by skys the limit; Sep 14, 2011 at 5:06 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 5:19 AM

Quote:
No, I didn't. You just seem to be speaking a different language apparently.

For some strange reason you seem to have a hang up over this and I'm really tired of what seems to be a tedious back and forth. Oh what the he'll, have it your way! I contradicted myself!

How are things in San Diego????
Oh good lord. What do you call it when you say "two 43 story skyscrapers and four 20 story high rise towers are scheduled for construction" and then a few posts later say "I'm not saying that twin 43 story towers are imminent"?

Your original post on the matter was clearly either an innocent overstatement or a simple misspeak. It's no big deal, but don't act like you didn't say it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 5:41 AM

You're obviously greatly tormented by all of this, and I can understand why coming from squat SD.

And it all appears to be over my choice of the word "scheduled", which the Cityplace website clearly indicates twin 43 story towers are on their development "schedule" for the same general area as Cityville Cityplace.

And even after reading the recent direct quotes from the President of Cityplace you still act like this is some fantasy or made-up story.

You're acting more than a bit mental ... Thank goodness you're in San Diego and not Dallas!

Enough is enough ... get a life!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 6:27 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
You're obviously greatly tormented by all of this, and I can understand why coming from squat SD.
I would hardly call San Diego 'squat'. In fact, I would go as far to say that it has the best skyline in the world for a city of its size. But that's just my two cents.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 4:15 PM

Quote:

And it all appears to be over my choice of the word "scheduled", which the Cityplace website clearly indicates twin 43 story towers are on their development "schedule" for the same general area as Cityville Cityplace.

And even after reading the recent direct quotes from the President of Cityplace you still act like this is some fantasy or made-up story.

You're acting more than a bit mental ... Thank goodness you're in San Diego and not Dallas!

Enough is enough ... get a life!
Show me where anybody besides you says twin 43 story towers are scheduled for construction, on a development schedule and/or are in any other state of planning process.

You can be an ass and try to turn this into some kind of San Diego vs. Dallas thing, but wouldn't it be simpler to just say "sorry, I misspoke"?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 8:11 PM
Verticle

At issue here isnt that there are plans for two 43 story buildings (I assume the renderings show what is allowable thru zoning), but that the phrase "twin towers" was used.....? If so, I would agree. There is no mention that they are "twins", but merely that the development allows for two 43 story buildings to be built at some point in the future....as demand allows.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 10:17 PM

Saw on dallasmetropolis where Hall may be finally ready to dust off his proposal for the old Lone Star site. Speculation that he wants to take advantage of his time-sensitive city incentives and that he may actually have a jump on Two Arts Plaza.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Saw on dallasmetropolis where Hall may be finally ready to dust off his proposal for the old Lone Star site. Speculation that he wants to take advantage of his time-sensitive city incentives and that he may actually have a jump on Two Arts Plaza.
What a transformation of that end of the skyline it would be if Hall did build something on stonehenge!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 3:09 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Bush Library at SMU under construction from Mockingbird Station.

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:20 AM

Several exciting development projects are underway or near starting for Dallas ..... let's start with this beauty!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercantile Continental Building now undergoing renovation in Downtown Dallas
September 26, 2011

On September 26, 2011, Forest City announced it would begin construction on the renovation of the Mercantile Continental Building in Downtown Dallas into an apartment building with 203 apartments (shown center image above).

The Mercantile Continental Building is located just west from the 1,000 room Statler Hilton/Dallas Grand Hotel renovation project that is currently underway and is just around the corner from the four building complex for the Lone Star Gas (Atmos Energy) renovation project that has also commenced.

Mercantile Continental is also located diagonally across Commerce Street from the very successful Main Street Gardens urban park.

This area of Downtown Dallas is red-hot with major renovation and re-purposing of older and empty commercial buildings into forthcoming centers of activity, mainly as residential uses but also some retail/restaurant depending on the project.

Construction crews began interior demolition and remediation, which is expected to last about 18 months. As of today, October 10, 2011, construction fencing has now gone up around the outside of the building.

Initial leasing for the apartments is expected in 2013.

"This residential building will invigorate Downtown Dallas for future generations," Jim Truitt, senior vice president for Forest City Texas was quoted concerning this project.

The 11 story Mercantile Continental Building, built in 1951, is on the south side of Commerce Street across from the 31 story 545 foot tall Mercantile Bank Building, built in 1942, and the newly constructed 15 story The Element apartment building.

The historic Mercantile Bank was previously converted into apartments and both it and The Element had their grand openings in 2009.

Mercantile Bank (left) with The Element seen here:

The Mercantile Continental Building, along with Mercantile Bank and The Element together form the "Mercantile Place on Main" development and is part of a public-private partnership with developer Forest City and Downtown Dallas Inc.

Article here: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...-to-begin.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:34 AM

Victory Park apartments in 'early stages' of development

Quote:
Dallas Business Journal by Candace Carlisle, Staff Writer
Date: Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mill Creek Residential Trust's plans for a five-story, 378-unit apartment building on Victory Avenue approved by city officials Thursday is in the "early stages" of possible development.

"We're going through the evaluation process and working on the viability of the project," said Darren Schackman, senior managing director for the developer. Schackman wouldn't comment further.
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...-in-early.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:37 PM
high five!

Museum Tower

Woodall Rodgers Deck Park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations