HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 6:13 PM

Ask average New Yorkers on the street about the wtc and the most common knee-jerk reaction is still "I'd never work in those buildings". That stigma will be there for a while.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 7:39 PM

The vacancy rate at the twins wasn't all that impressive either.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:03 PM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

2018 should be the year a deal happens. If it doesn't happen this year I'll put this site out of my mind until something does eventually happen.

The economic conditions are right for this to move forward. If it can't make it up now, then I wouldn't be surprised if the design gets a slight haircut or they start thinking of residential uses. Maybe the demand just isn't there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:44 PM

I'm not sure what everyone is talking about with this "high vacancy rate" in 1 WTC. The tower is 22% away from being fully occupied only being open for 3 full years. That is pretty good. The tower itself has over 50 different tenants already. The twins took decades to reach near capacity. We all know they were filled with government tenants for a long time as well. Give the new complex time. It's not even fully completed.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Ask average New Yorkers on the street about the wtc and the most common knee-jerk reaction is still "I'd never work in those buildings". That stigma will be there for a while.
I've never heard that, even once. And I know lots of people with connections to the old WTC.

As to vacancy rates, I don't know what people are talking about. The existing four WTC towers all have low vacancy rates. Whether or not there are "govt" tenants in one building is totally immaterial. Those leases were decided 15 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:23 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I've never heard that, even once. And I know lots of people with connections to the old WTC.
I've actually heard this a lot. My aunt lived in Tribeca and she's said things like this. She also was opposed to rebuilding the complex which I thought was crazy. Maybe it's different though for people who were actually there.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Well there are a lot of people in New York who say they wouldn't want to work at the WTC. And there are a lot of people in New York who say the Twin Towers should have been rebuilt, but taller. But those opinions are neither here nor there, as the vast majority of people won't work there.

Read any article on any New York development where there are comments, and the vast majority will be clueless commentary, because people have opinions on everything. Has no bearing on what will or should be built.

I will say though, that the atmosphere of fear that surfaced in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 is gone for the most part. There will be more people living or working in higher places than before 9/11, and that is only going to increase.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:23 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I will say though, that the atmosphere of fear that surfaced in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 is gone for the most part.
The last time I was down there was way back in March and the place was absolutely thriving with foot traffic … combination of tourism and professionals. Law enforcement was also highly visible, which is a good thing coupled with what we don't see. At no point did I ever feel uncomfortable.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
The last time I was down there was way back in March and the place was absolutely thriving with foot traffic … combination of tourism and professionals. Law enforcement was also highly visible, which is a good thing coupled with what we don't see. At no point did I ever feel uncomfortable.
Exactly. The only people who speak of fear are the people who would never go down there anyway, pre 9/11 or not.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

There are a lot of security features built into the complex. Many which blend in, and the common person would not notice. Ever notice the way the 9/11 memorial park was designed? There's a reason it looks the way it does. Again, covert security measures without turning the complex into a draconian looking piece of land. Gives the illusion that its not secure, when there are subtle design attributes that give great security (from bomb trucks for example). Check the base of 1 WTC to see what I mean as one example.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Oh well....we'll see.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/23/deutsc...-for-new-digs/

Deutsche Bank eyeing Time Warner Center for new digs

By Lois Weiss
January 23, 2018

Quote:
Headquarters-prowling Deutsche Bank has narrowed its search.

The German bank, now headquartered at 60 Wall St., has added the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle to its list of preferred locations, sources said.

Such a move would enable Deutsche Bank to rebrand the twin towers complex that commands the circle and that entire southwest corner of Central Park. Despite its glass and steel, that area of the Upper West Side has a European neighborhood feel.

As my Post colleague Steve Cuozzo first reported, Deutsche is also taking a deep dive into becoming the anchor tenant for Larry Silverstein’s Two World Trade Center.

Once open — roughly three to five years from now — that structure will complete the World Trade Center complex as the Ronald O. Perelman Performing Arts Center will be long operational.

The bank is still weighing its options, and all parties declined to comment. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Oh well....we'll see.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/23/deutsc...-for-new-digs/

Deutsche Bank eyeing Time Warner Center for new digs

By Lois Weiss
January 23, 2018
Thank Hudson Yards for this pass play halftime moment. Ughh

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:24 PM

Ugh

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:38 AM
New Yorker for life

I will still be surprised if they move to Time Warner Center.

Quote:
The German bank, now headquartered at 60 Wall St., has added the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle to its list of preferred locations, sources said.

As my Post colleague Steve Cuozzo first reported, Deutsche is also taking a deep dive into becoming the anchor tenant for Larry Silverstein’s Two World Trade Center.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I will still be surprised if they move to Time Warner Center.
You would know this better than any of us here. That would add how many station stops to a commute out of Brooklyn for their employees? At least 20 if I recall correctly when I made the trip.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
You would know this better than any of us here. That would add how many station stops to a commute out of Brooklyn for their employees? At least 20 if I recall correctly when I made the trip.
More like 7-8 depending on the train

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Not just that, but it's not really in the heart of the business districts of Manhattan. That area's more residential than anything, but great views of the park. It's basically beyond Midtown, though just barely. If not the WTC, I would expect they would move to the west side, or elsewhere in Midtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:42 AM
World Machine

I don't know … I understand the appeal of the neighborhood however it's far away from major transit centers. I just don't see an investment bank occupying that property … unless they score some amazing rent deal.

Maybe this is a stunt by them to get better rent rates w/ Silverstein. Demonstrates they're keeping their options open.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 11:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I don't know … I understand the appeal of the neighborhood however it's far away from major transit centers. I just don't see an investment bank occupying that property … unless they score some amazing rent deal.

Maybe this is a stunt by them to get better rent rates w/ Silverstein. Demonstrates they're keeping their options open.

Yeah, I really don't see it. I'll be surprised, as will a lot of people.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I suspect that the rent at the TWC would be higher than it would be at 2 WTC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction