HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 2:35 AM
New Yorker for life

I like that you can actually see this tower from various points around the city, even if it's dwarfed by taller buildings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdtAF5QB...triklonndesign

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:00 AM

Not really dwarfed by other buildings.. only by 432 Park currently in that photo and even after CPT and the other super skinny 1400 footer it’ll still be #4.. the perspective of the photo is misleading

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Scream View Post
Not really dwarfed by other buildings.. only by 432 Park currently in that photo and even after CPT and the other super skinny 1400 footer it’ll still be #4.. the perspective of the photo is misleading
Only 432 Park is completed in that photo, it should go without saying. This tower will be dwarfed on the skyline by towers like 30 Hudson, One Vanderbilt, Steinway, Central Park tower and others that will be built, and regardless of perspective. Anyone who looks at the skyline (or even just the photos in this thread) would know that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:36 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

In that photo, Nordstrom and Steinway will surpass 432P, even with perspective in play.

BTW, can anyone help me ID that crane @ far right? Can't yet be either Snøhetta's beauty or 200 Amsterdam...?

TYVM

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Only 432 Park is completed in that photo, it should go without saying. This tower will be dwarfed on the skyline by towers like 30 Hudson, One Vanderbilt, Steinway, Central Park tower and others that will be built, and regardless of perspective. Anyone who looks at the skyline (or even just the photos in this thread) would know that.
NY guy you clearly aren’t familiar with NY, in that photo you won’t see One Vanderbilt or 30 Hudson. Hence I said 53w53 would be the 4th tallest building in that photo( 432, cpt, Steinway)The photo roughly shows buildings north of ~46th street. Another landmark to use is the MetLife building. Since you can’t see this building and the photo is being taken on a east-west axis you won’t be able to see one Vanderbilt and def not 30 Hudson.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
NY guy you clearly aren’t familiar with NY, in that photo you won’t see One Vanderbilt or 30 Hudson. Hence I said 53w53 would be the 4th tallest building in that photo( 432, cpt, Steinway)The photo roughly shows buildings north of ~46th street. Another landmark to use is the MetLife building. Since you can’t see this building and the photo is being taken on a east-west axis you won’t be able to see one Vanderbilt and def not 30 Hudson.
You have 5 posts and you said NY guy isn't familiar with New York. That's a bold strategy. let's see if it works out for you.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Ohhhh you're gonna regret saying that

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
LOL...you're wrong. Also, LOL. Verre appears dwarfed from 432, CPT, and Steinway alone. The Hudson Yards towers not showing up in this vantage point (but yes in other vantage points) is irrelevant. Nothing wrong with Verre being dwarfed in appearance. As NY Guy said, it is still visible in the skyline, notwithstanding the taller towers. Just simply how it is.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
You have 5 posts and you said NY guy isn't familiar with New York. That's a bold strategy. let's see if it works out for you.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:35 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
The concept he's trying to state is that at its 1,050 foot height, it is being dwarfed or "diminished" in its effect, especially within the Midtown scene. Perspective is one thing depending on the angle or from where at sea level (0') you are viewing it, but on a strict height basis (if you want, throw elevation in there), this will be dwarfed. One 57 for example is dwarfed even though its a super tall. The Chrysler building is a super tall as well, but you might be forgiven for thinking its not given its surroundings.

Forget the photo, as a whole, within Midtown, this is overshadowed. Its design is stellar, but it doesn't have that height buffer to really outshine itself from the competition.

In a few years, this won't even crack the top 15 in height. The ESB for example, is on its way to 10th place and eventually won't even be in the top 10. If the ESB were to be placed on 57th Street, you'd definitely think its loosing its edge of dominance. Location is one thing, but even than, with a developing region North of 30th, its not a safe bet with the coming 900-1000 foot towers on 5th.

Suppose you have 5 towers at heights of 1200', 1000', 950', 940', 900'... even with a 200' + advantage, is it really dominant? The same example applies for Midtown. 432 Park is dominant relative to its surroundings. Place that same tower near CPT, and in 2 years, its magnitude of show power will diminish. Not eliminated, but diminished.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Suppose you have 5 towers at heights of 1200', 1000', 950', 940', 900'... even with a 200' + advantage, is it really dominant? The same example applies for Midtown. 432 Park is dominant relative to its surroundings. Place that same tower near CPT, and in 2 years, its magnitude of show power will diminish. Not eliminated, but diminished.
Exactly. Whenever I head into NYC, one of the most striking things is just how tall One World Trade Center is compared to the other skyscrapers in Lower Manhattan. It's what, 600, 700 feet taller than 3WTC? (Bearing in mind I haven't been in New York since July). 1WTC is dominant in the Lower Manhattan skyline. There really isn't anything in Midtown that really dominates.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 4:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: A.L.C.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:26 PM
World Machine

Neat shot … truly an urban jungle.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
NY guy you clearly aren’t familiar with NY
I only have to go this far to know that anything that follows will be drivel, but I'll play along one more time.

Quote:
in that photo you won’t see One Vanderbilt or 30 Hudson. Hence I said 53w53 would be the 4th tallest building in that photo( 432, cpt, Steinway)The photo roughly shows buildings north of ~46th street. Another landmark to use is the MetLife building. Since you can’t see this building and the photo is being taken on a east-west axis you won’t be able to see one Vanderbilt and def not 30 Hudson.
None of that has any relevance on my original statement, nor is it accurate, proving that you've wasted my time once again.

This tower will be visible from various points around the city, as will the other, taller towers. It will be dwarfed in height and stature, and yes, even by 30 Hudson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
LOL...you're wrong. Also, LOL. Verre appears dwarfed from 432, CPT, and Steinway alone. The Hudson Yards towers not showing up in this vantage point (but yes in other vantage points) is irrelevant. Nothing wrong with Verre being dwarfed in appearance. As NY Guy said, it is still visible in the skyline, notwithstanding the taller towers. Just simply how it is.
Well said. What's unbelievable is that this has to be explained.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 12:19 AM
New Yorker for life

JANUARY 16, 2018

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:31 AM
Show me the blueprints

So who saw the Science channel doc and what did you think of it?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
So who saw the Science channel doc and what did you think of it?
I'm watching now. It is great to see the unexpected challenges they have to overcome. It makes my appreciation for these towers and those who build them stronger. I wish they would make a documentary for every significant tower. Maybe a new channel, Skyscraper TV, lol.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:53 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Great to see this tower rising nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This is a really good photo. Gives out an 80s feel.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:29 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive