HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 1:05 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Arrow DUBAI | Marina Supertalls (10 Projects) | > 300m

Rather than having 6 or 7 new threads I decided to put all these towers into the one thread. Reason? Well, since these towers are all being built in the same area they'll make a nice cluster. Also I know not all the towers have the most interesting designs but together they'll make some impact and will be quite a landmark in itsself. Not sure if these towers are required to have shops at the base but some definitely will.

Here are the towers:

Pentominium
Height - 516m
Floor count - 122
Status - Preparing for foundation
Developer - Trident Holdings
Architect - Aedas

Damac Heights
Height - 426m
Floor count - 100
Status - Site Prep
Developer - Damac
Architect - Aedas

Marina 106
Height - ?m
Floors - 107
Status - On Hold (for design change)
Developer - ggicouae
Architect - National Engineering Bureau

Princess Tower
Height - 415m
Floors - 101
Status - Rising (around the 76th floor)
Developer - Tameer
Architect - Adnan Saffarini

Marina 101
Height - 412m
Floors - 102
Status - Rising (around the 45th floor)
Developer - EtaStar
Architect - National Engineering Bureau

23 marina - 395m
Height - 395m
Floors - 90
Status - Rising (around the 75th floor)
Developer - EtaStar
Architect - KEO International Consultants

Elite Residence
Height - 380m
Floors - 91
Status - Rising (up to floor 35)
Developer - Select Properties
Architect - Adnan Saffarini

The Torch - 338m
Height - 338m
Floors - 80
Status - Rising (almost at the top floor)
Developer - Select Properties
Architect - Khatib & Alami

Ocean Heights
Heights - 310m/1050ft
Floors - 82
Status - Rising (Last floor reached, only need to built the top fin)
Developer - Damac
Architect - Aedas

Infinity Tower - 307m
Height - 307m/1007ft
Floors - 80
Status - Rising (Above the 30th floor)
Developer - Cayan
Architect - SOM

My thoughts on this cluster. The effect will be very striking with all the tall towers but since these are residential towers I think it's too dense. Look at marina 101 for example, kind of ironic that a tower over 400m that's just some metres from the sea will have barely any view of it

Last edited by malec; Nov 26, 2009 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 1:11 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Latest construction pictures:

Ocean heights (august 4th)

Infinity tower (sept 3rd)

Princess tower (august 25th)

23 marina (august 18th)

The Torch (sept 3rd)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 1:51 AM

The Ocean Heights image (final thumbnail) has pictures of san diego skyscrapers randomly thrown in.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 2:02 AM

Dubai is going to look so beautiful in a few years... it will be just amazing

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 2:07 AM

I really like 23 marina and ocean heights, really nice. Infinity tower is cool, but I wouldn't live there.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 2:42 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Nice, cant wait to see the final product. Are any of these projects gonna have some neon lighting?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:17 AM
Pacific Wonderland

At this point, I am almost yawning....a few more supertalls for Dubai, unstoppable as the tide coming in.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 4:40 AM

the infintity tower is definetly my fave but it looks really out of place next to those others

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 10:03 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thskyscraper
I really like 23 marina and ocean heights, really nice. Infinity tower is cool, but I wouldn't live there.
Live there in general or just in infinity tower, infinity would probably be the best place to have an apartment though, would give you the best views

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark
At this point, I am almost yawning....a few more supertalls for Dubai, unstoppable as the tide coming in.
There's actually one more thread I have to make since there's another one under construction on SZR, it's a nice one though.

Last edited by malec; Sep 5, 2006 at 10:28 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 5:24 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

My only gripe with the Marina plan is that all of the tallest towers are placed on the same 2-3 blocks. The Marina skyline would look more balanced if these were spread throughout the Marina as opposed to crammed together. Are there anymore unannounced plots in the Marina removed from this cluster that could theoretically harbor a supertall?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 7:56 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
My only gripe with the Marina plan is that all of the tallest towers are placed on the same 2-3 blocks. The Marina skyline would look more balanced if these were spread throughout the Marina as opposed to crammed together. Are there anymore unannounced plots in the Marina removed from this cluster that could theoretically harbor a supertall?
Exactly.
Here's what I think, the best way would be to have about 3 supertall plots back to back in one place, that'd make for a nice central peak, then have a few more plots in certain locations such as at the mouth of the marina, etc. The way it's done is just stupid since everyone will lose their views. I presume emaar's (the masterplanners) intention was to have a landmark area and focal point of the whole marina so they took away the height restrictions on the plots in this area. This decision probably happened before the supertall madness though when the burj dubai was still a vision in most people's opinion. Most of the towers in the marina released were between 100m and 200m so they probably expected the towers here to be between 200m and 300m with maybe 2 or 3 real supertalls. I'd say they never imagined developers would want to build towers in excess of 100 floors here so they didn't plan for them.

Right now I don't think there are plans for supertalls in other parts, it's possible emaar might want to build a signature tower but who knows. The only other supertall is almas tower across the road in another similar but smaller development.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 11:21 PM

malec, Princess is 107 floors.

And JLT is anything but small.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 12:15 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ I actually think the 107 floor figure includes the basement, on the signboard it says 6B+G+100 I think (can't remember exactly but it adds up to 107 anyway).

For tall towers business bay seems much better planned since they also sold off a few unlimited height plots but they're spread out. I think the business bay masterplanners did expect some height but judging by their "1000ft centrepiece tower" they didn't expect that much, maybe between 800 and 1200ft or so. Then burj al alam comes along at a whopping 1600ft (or almost), proposed by a relatively unimportant developer aswell.

Could anyone give a reason why so many developers are keen on building supertalls?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 12:53 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec

Could anyone give a reason why so many developers are keen on building supertalls?
Your $3.00 gas is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to burn for them. Seriously, they don't know where to invest it all, an embarassment of riches.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Live there in general or just in infinity tower, infinity would probably be the best place to have an apartment though, would give you the best views.
No just Infinity Tower. I bet there would be some real nice views, but something about living in a twisting structure... It's a true work of art though.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark
Your $3.00 gas is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to burn for them. Seriously, they don't know where to invest it all, an embarassment of riches.
Like a lot of ppl have said the UAE doesn't have as much oil as SA. The main reason is a lower population so they use less money giving people services.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 5:56 AM

Many other Arab countries that do have lots of oil are investing in Dubai though. So in a roundabout way oil prices do have a direct effect on investment in Dubai.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 12:07 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

There's another possible proposal by damac called "ocean heights II". Not much is known about it but most likely if built it'll be squeezed in next to infinity tower. Also if built will be the tallest res tower in the world at 460m (yes that's taller than sears). The building is still pretty much under wraps and who knows what'll happen, they might go ahead or not bother. One thing is certain though, it'll take ages to build because it's damac building it

Height - 460m
Floor count - 105

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 12:39 AM
`

Quote:
There's another possible proposal by damac called "ocean heights II". One thing is certain though, it'll take ages to build because it's damac building it
You got that right. But so much is going on there, 4 years will be here before you know it.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 4:13 AM
Devilishly cute

I think I am going to pray every night to the Skyscraper Gods that Ocean Heights II gets built

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive