HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Jeddah Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jeddah Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 5:06 PM

Frank Lloyd Wright's was better, IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Sure to make all the women want to move to Jeddah.
Religion in Saudi Arabia is a way of living... Just be carefull with that...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Glee View Post
Frank Lloyd Wright's was better, IMHO.

Naa, The Illinois one seems out of shape, Jeddah's is simpler, the design isn't comfirmed yet by the group... Remmeber, Saudi Arabians are very very very wealthy people, they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. And this Prince Walid (whatever his name is) is known to be the most arrogant and selfish man in the middle east... He wants to be the best among all arabs. This is serious...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 5:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm137 View Post
Religion in Saudi Arabia is a way of living... Just be carefull with that...
Apartheid was once a way of living in South Africa, and that did not preclude criticism.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Apartheid was once a way of living in South Africa, and that did not preclude criticism.
I just hope not...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 6:10 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Sure to make all the women want to move to Jeddah.
Not unless they all want to where burquas.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Naa, The Illinois one seems out of shape, Jeddah's is simpler, the design isn't comfirmed yet by the group...
Well, this first rendering just looks like a giant tapering rod, which seems rather unimaginative to me. Wright's tower was elegant and attempted something beautiful.

Whatever the case, I just can't get that excited over this. Putting aside the question of whether or not it will even get built, skyscraper height does nothing for me without it being in a real urban context. Same reason why Dubai's stuff, while impressive in a "gee whiz look how tall that is" sense, doesn't do it for me.

I may be an odd one out here on SSP, but skyscrapers mean nothing to me if they're not part of a real urban fabric, no matter how tall they are.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 7:42 PM
Urban Explorer

Seriously, we're still talking about this? This is not a real proposal and this thread needs to be locked.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Seriously, we're still talking about this? This is not a real proposal and this thread needs to be locked.
Dude, can you read????? It's more than a proposal from this point... It's just that more info will come in the third quarter of this year.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 10:54 PM
Back in the Windy City

Quote:
This "proposal" has been on Pickard Chilton's website for a few years:

http://www.pickardchilton.com/pagProject.aspx?Group='RESEARCH'&ID=41

It's very clear that it is simply a research project into new ideas for 21st century urban demands. I'm not sure how it turned into a supposed proposal for Saudi Arabia.
Thank you for debunking this nonsense. The link you provided makes it abundantly clear that this was never intended as a practical design.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 1:17 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

If its not in Dubai, it wont happen... thats my rule of thumb for buildings this rediculous.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 1:48 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm137 View Post
Dude, can you read????? It's more than a proposal from this point... It's just that more info will come in the third quarter of this year.
I absolutely can read, which is why I recognized that half of the "article" someone posted on the first page of this thread was pulled word-for-word from Pickard Chilton's website, where the renderings of the building were also found. Pickard Chilton makes it plain that the project, from the outset, was not a real proposal but rather a look into what would be necessary to erect such a structure. Undoubtedly part of this process was recognizing what obstacles have yet to be tackled technologically or logistically.

The first post in this thread has no source, is written sloppily at best (most of it is unintelligible trash), and is made up of 50% word-for-word verbiage from another (uncited) source. I don't understand why so many people believe this garbage.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 3:26 AM

Quote:
This "proposal" has been on Pickard Chilton's website for a few years:

http://www.pickardchilton.com/pagProject.aspx?Group='RESEARCH'&ID=41

It's very clear that it is simply a research project into new ideas for 21st century urban demands. I'm not sure how it turned into a supposed proposal for Saudi Arabia.
Could you tell me in which continent Jeddah is located in??
The site says: ASIA...And i beleive SaudiArabia is in Asia...

I can't beleive you guys are supporting the Chicago Spire and not this project! I mean, what's different?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 3:41 AM

Rody69 from Skyscrapercity.com:
guys......leave them talk.....just wait tell 15/9/2007 and everyone gonna see the full master plan plus the monster "I like this word",basically the full render
BTW, the work gonna start at first days of 2008.and they allready bought peace of land oh the red sea (on the west of the project location) and another one on Abhur creek (the south of the project location) and they gonna connect them throw the project site (the canal) in addition to the project site (the 5,5 m2) which is the land on the south western corner of north Abhur.

Saudi Dunes from Skyscrapercity.com:
Additional Information concerning some of the companies that may be involved with this.

Thornton Tomasetti, which is claimed to be the "Structural Design Firm", is behind such other prestigious projects such as:

The Bloomberg Tower, New York
Federation Tower, Moscow
The New York Time Building, New York
Soldier Field, Chicago
Taipei 101, Taipai

The MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing) Engineering Firm, Flack & Kurtz has been involved in other projects such as:

The World Financial Center, New York
Canary Warf, London
The Hearst Tower, New York

Rody69 form Skyscrapercity writes:
This is the project location on Jeddah map: (you can see King Abdullah Economic City location on the top left corner between the white line and the coast line,And Durrat Alarus on the meddle left )

This is the project location on north jeddah map

this is project location "on north Abhur area" with the artificial creek: (it's not that good,but it's almost the same):

btw,my source is a GM in KHC group and he's now in Jeddah to but the final touch on the official papers with Jeddah mayoralty and they'll announce the project in the first days of September
((The project will announce in September because they're waiting to finish the "KHC IPO" completely ))
*)the white line is what they call "great Jeddah" so every thing inside the white boarder is under the responsibility of Jeddah mayoralty.

Saudi Guy from Skycrapercity:

This is alot more than just a proposal....

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 5:21 AM

"I can't believe you guys are supporting the spire and not this project. I mean, what's different?"

If you have to ask, you are clearly out of a reasonable state of mind. I wish this project the best, but that's an absurd comment. Get off your high horse. Americans are not wishing badly upon the rest of the world. There are amazing differences between these two projects. I suggest that you take a look at the ESPN "talking sports outta my ass" commercials and then replace the word sports with skyscrapers. This project may be as real as you say, I don't know. This post is concerned only with the comment regarding the spire. Best of luck.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 2:30 PM
Puyo!

Hmm... Am I the only one who think the other two towers on both side of the mile tower are too short?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 3:12 PM
Urban Explorer

I'm done with this argument - Gjm137, you may believe what you want to about this project, but don't be upset when you learn it was all just make believe. Quoting other posters from a different skyscraper website doesn't exactly make me believe you have credible sources, nor does telling me what projects the associated engineering firms have been involved in. As a structural engineer, I'm well aware that Thornton Tomasetti has done some impressive projects, some of them for Pickard Chilton. Guess what? That's exactly why they worked together on this exploratory project.

Again, believe what you want. If you can't see why this thread is ridiculous - and others like the Chicago Spire one are not - then you may need to spend some time learning a little thing called logic.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 8:41 PM
Information Age

I guess they have the money, the will and the ego to build this so why not?
It's looking better than the Al-Burj.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenser View Post
I guess they have the money, the will and the ego to build this so why not?
It's looking better than the Al-Burj.
The Al-Burj and the mile tower look similar! Just a question tho: What's up with that project?? Still a proposal??

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
Back in the Windy City

Regardless of whether the tower is a good plan, regardless of whether Jeddah is a good place for a mega-skyscraper ... there's just no credible evidence that this is even a proposal right now.

That doesn't mean being "against" this idea. I just need to see something official to believe that anyone actually intends to build this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction