HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Jeddah Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jeddah Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untitled View Post
Regardless of whether the tower is a good plan, regardless of whether Jeddah is a good place for a mega-skyscraper ... there's just no credible evidence that this is even a proposal right now.

That doesn't mean being "against" this idea. I just need to see something official to believe that anyone actually intends to build this.
Well the official stuff will come out in the last quarter of this year, which is in September!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm137 View Post
Well the official stuff will come out in the last quarter of this year, which is in September!
Umm . . . no. October, November, December.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlatsGrobnik View Post
Umm . . . no. October, November, December.
Rody69 writes:
my source is a GM in KHC group and he's now in Jeddah, but the final touch on the official papers with Jeddah mayoralty and they'll announce the project in the first days of September
((The project will announce in September because they're waiting to finish the "KHC IPO" completely ))
*)the white line is what they call "great Jeddah" so every thing inside the white boarder is under the responsibility of Jeddah mayoralty.

I know I'm copying from other formus and other forumers such as Rody69 and Skyscrapercity.com....And I admit I have no source whatsoever! But it's just that this project is very interesting and I wanted you guys to find out about it, that's all...
You may not take it seriously, but that's your choice and I accept it...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 12:59 AM
Yippie Ka Yay!

So this is serious?

If it is then WOW!

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 1:36 AM

The last quarter of the year, is in fact, the last 3 months. 12/4 = 3. September is not the last quarter of the year. Should be interesting to see what happens though/if there is really a credible project here. Seems like if this were as serious as stated it would have been all over the place by now, and we would be hearing a lot less about Emaar worrying about the competitors and announce the height of the Burj. Just a thought.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 1:55 AM
Back in the Windy City

EVEN IF there is a legitimate plan for a mile-high skyscraper, something I'm not quite ready to concede, I have a hard time believing that the plans posted at the top of this thread are what is intended to be built.

We're supposed to believe what -- that some developer got wind of this glorified homework assignment and said, "Yeah, build me that" ?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstl2020 View Post

The last quarter of the year, is in fact, the last 3 months. 12/4 = 3. September is not the last quarter of the year. Should be interesting to see what happens though/if there is really a credible project here. Seems like if this were as serious as stated it would have been all over the place by now, and we would be hearing a lot less about Emaar worrying about the
competitors and announce the height of the Burj. Just a thought.
Yes, they said at first that it would be announced in the last quarter of the year...Then Rody69 reported that the papers would be finalized in the first days of September...
I know, I was also surprised that this project wasn't all over the place, but remember, this is the first mega-project proposed in Saudi Arabia, maybe getting imformation to spread out from there is hard...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 11:17 AM
Information Age

Maybe we will get a new design, or new renderings in September?
can't wait for info.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 9:18 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Kingdom Company (KHC) Announced Bechtel as the Chosen Company to Supervise the Construction of the Massive Jeddah Project, Investment Value Estimated at SR50 billion
(17/09/2007)

Project Master plan received by Pickard Chilton

Click To Enlarge Kingdom Holding Company, Chaired by HRH Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Alsaud, announced today Monday 17th September 2007, that Bechtel (BEKtl) company was chosen to supervise and develop the real estate project in Jeddah. Bechtel company was chosen out of seven other companies that were in a competitive bid to supervise and develop the Jeddah project.

Bechtel is a global engineering, construction and project management company with more than a century of experience on complex projects in challenging locations especially in Saudi. Privately owned with headquarters in San Francisco, they have 40 offices around the world and nearly 40,000 employees.

Kingdom Holding Company received the Jeddah Project Master plan from Pickard Chilton, reputable and renowned designers who have designed some of the world’s significant and recognizable buildings, including Kingdom Center recognized by its iconic tower.

The Jeddah project, one of the major real estate projects planned by Kingdom Holding Company, and other projects in Riyadh, has an area of 5.3 million square meters and is located in the city's northern area on the Red Sea coastline, which is a strategic area for the development of this project. The investment value of the project is estimated at SR50 billion upon completion, comprising of a colossal sky scraper with a surrounding area for other facilities (residential, commercial, construction of a five star hotel and offices). The residential area will be 1.5 million square meters, the size of the commercial area will be 470,000 square meters, education vicinity with an area of 150,000 square meters and the size of the offices area will be 800,000 square meters. The remaining lands will be utilized for leisure facilities, tourism and the construction of four star hotels.

Furthermore, there are plans for the development of a diplomatic quarter on the Jeddah land. The site plans for the land were developed by HOK, a Canadian company that has world wide recognition. The project will also connect the Red Sea coastline of the area to Sharm Obhur, an environment of natural beauty. KHC is also currently in cooperation with the Jeddah municipality and other administrations to ensure that all the appropriate requirements are met for the success of the project. KHC is known for the high quality of their real estate projects that have won international awards.

http://kingdom.com.sa/index.asp?id=73&prlsid=33

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
I'm sure these images explain themselves

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:06 PM
Dance with the Devil

it looks interesting
any more rendering of it

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Too bad Saudi Arabia can't spend 50bn solving the worlds hunger crises, or promoting education in Africa/the Middle East.

I do hope they out-build Dubai though. 100%

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 12:07 AM
I love boxes.

^^They'll do whatever they want no matter how *weird* their dreams are.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Wow, I'll crap my pants if this succeeds. Of course, if this does, then Dubai will be pressured to counter with an even bigger peni... I mean tower...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:15 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm137 View Post
I mean, what's different?

DURHhhhh.

and...where is Saudi Arabia? is that in Europe?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:16 AM
BANNED

^^^
huh?!?!?!?!

What's a "sad-y area"? And what is this Jeddi-ah that its growing on?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Too bad Saudi Arabia can't spend 50bn solving the worlds hunger crises, or promoting education in Africa/the Middle East.

How about spending the 50bn to diversify their economy in a country where per capita income has declined in the last 20 years. How about extending basic human rights to women who are over 50% of their population. It is really a tragedy for the world that these backward hillbillies by chance ended up sitting on top of the worlds largest oil deposit. Much of the chaos in the Arab world is because of the ignorant Saudis using their oil money to spread their backward and perverted interpretation of Islam across the Muslim world. A much more educated and enlightened interpretation of Islam was held by most of the Arab world before the Saudis began to spread their hate and ignorance.

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 8:28 PM
FriskyDingo

it seems like when towers all get to be this tall, there all gonaa look like triangular pointy things. Structural issues i know but, still all the same...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 8:21 AM

Looks like a fabulous neighborhood - very walkable. Seriously, who would want to live or work in this thing? It would feel like an above ground prison. You couldn't pay me enough to waste a moment of my life in such an albatross. It's like an above gound suburb - no thanks.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 10:35 PM

Welcome to the "great pyramids redux"... or any number of Mogul masterpieces.

There is no thought behind this... no business plan that could possibly make sense... it's a monument. I have money, and I want immortality.

Hilarious but damned intriguing. Gotta admit it's entertaining. Too bad the 800 gazillion dollars spent in Dubai will be little more than a footnote.

Why not? Let's see if they can build it (I for one will set aside $1000 to buy an elevator trip to the top... though I bet there's no view).

This could actually snuff out all height wars... and the money saved around the world will help correct all social ills instead! OK. Maybe not.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 10:41 PM

edit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction