HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Haeundae LCT Landmark Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Busan Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 4:57 PM

Can someone explain to me what a "four-dimensional" theater is? I've only been to a couple 3-D theaters but I haven't seen a 4-D one yet. Does it project into a hidden spectrum I'm not aware of or is it merely scanned into my brain?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 6:49 PM

You feel what going on in the show. Wind, heat, rain, etc.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 6:55 PM
BROOKLYN

Pretty nice tower. I likey

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 4:13 AM

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 5:41 AM
▓▒░

^I think I liked the old one better, it had a lot of kitsch appeal.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:32 PM
Editor

I suppose that one will never be built, like all that other propsals in South Korea.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 4:32 PM

^Well it's certainly going to have at least another 20 design changes before it fades into obscurity. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 3:22 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^No kidding. Here's the latest design.
http://en.lct.kr/

Site prep accelerating.

Jens-Olaf

Edit: Should be merged with this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=141027

Last edited by scalziand; Jan 8, 2014 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 4:50 AM

How does South Korea, with its small size, and one of the lowest birthrates on earth, come up with all these grandiose projects? Are they govt. backed projects?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:29 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

They have great export markets-Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Lotte, etc. The Korea shipyards are huge, with 10% of the world capacity- http://industrial-center.com/Koreanshipyards.html

The bulk of the megaprojects seem to come from Hyundai and Lotte. I've heard rumors that some of the megacorps are partially government backed. Other projects like the Incheon twins and Dream Hub/Tripple1 were governement backed, but the government (perhaps wisely, perhaps not) decided to drop the backing and those projects are dead.

Like Japan, activity/growth is concentrated in the cities, with some depopulation of the countryside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Chaebol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_South_Korea

South Korea is also seeing increased tourism from China.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
How does South Korea, with its small size, and one of the lowest birthrates on earth, come up with all these grandiose projects? Are they govt. backed projects?
Substitute South Korea with Dubai and your question would apply just the same.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Substitute South Korea with Dubai and your question would apply just the same.
Dubai has (had) oil. South Korea is a technology/exporting/infrastructure all-star.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 1:12 AM

Yeah, I know all about the exports.

But the point is that South Korea is a tiny country with a declining population. It has one of the lowest birthrates on the planet and almost no immigration. It doesn't really seem to be a place where megatowers make any sense, because it has a small population now, and a future with an even smaller population.

That's why I was wondering if there was some govt. impetus behind these proposals, like one sees in Dubai or China.

I mean, neighboring Japan has three times the population, a higher birthrate, and higher per capita wealth, but they don't build such crazy stuff. There has to be some non-market impetus behind these projects, I would think.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:26 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
But the point is that South Korea is a tiny country with a declining population. It has one of the lowest birthrates on the planet and almost no immigration. It doesn't really seem to be a place where megatowers make any sense, because it has a small population now, and a future with an even smaller population.
Wrong.

South Korea's population is still growing, albeit slowly at about 200k per year despite the low birthrate. This includes significant immigration from China. Yes, there are Chinatowns in Seoul and Busan. Korea isn't quite so xenophobic as Japan to not allow immigration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...of_South_Korea

South Korea has a population density 50% higher than Japan(1200/square mile vs 800/square mile).
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934666.html

Quote:
That's why I was wondering if there was some govt. impetus behind these proposals, like one sees in Dubai or China.

I mean, neighboring Japan has three times the population, a higher birthrate, and higher per capita wealth, but they don't build such crazy stuff. There has to be some non-market impetus behind these projects, I would think.

There was plenty of crazy stuff proposed in Japan during the 80's boom years (Aeropolis, X-seed, etc), and they just finished building the tallest observation tower in the world(Tokyo Skytree).

As for non market impetus, like I said, the Korea companies, particularly Hyundai and Lotte want to make a mark with their towers. Quite a few of them when originally proposed could have been WTB. Also, did you miss where I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Other projects like the Incheon twins and Dream Hub/Tripple1 were governement backed, but the government (perhaps wisely, perhaps not) decided to drop the backing and those projects are dead.
So yes, there certainly is a bit of 'non-market impetus' to these projects. But they are not entirely unjustifiable. That is why most of them were canned, and only a couple are moving forward.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Wrong.
I don't understand what I'm wrong about. Again, South Korea has a declining population, low birth rate, and low in-migration. Even the urban population is shrinking. It has a small population relative to that of Japan. Birthrate is barely over 1, and population expected to decline about 15% over the next few decades.

Busan is a small city about the population of Minneapolis. Relative density is irrelevant; no one builds supertalls due to urbanized population area densities, as supertalls are inherently less efficient than regular highrises.

The Japanese stuff you mentioned are either crazy proposals from 25-30 years ago or television towers, neither of which really are relevant.

I am not challenging this construction, or saying anything negative about it, I'm just trying to understand the background behind South Korea's tower proposals. There are usually special circumstances around such impressive proposals, as we see in places like China and Dubai. It could just be that the corporations in Korea see these towers as essentially marketing tools for their firms, and South Korea does have a strong economy, so maybe the combination of these two factors are the main driving points?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:10 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:55 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Haeundae by Jens-Olaf on Flickr

Also, this should be merged with this thread
BUSAN | Haewundae Tourism Resort | 1696 FT / 517 M | 117 FLOORS

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 12:24 PM

Looks like a fun land and these renderings are great.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 8:26 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

BUSAN | Haeundae Resort Complex | 412 + 339 + 333 M | 101 + 85 + 85 FLOORS

Skyscraper Center

This should also be moved to U/C

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 8:24 AM
Find yourself and be that

2014. 09. 01 by CIFC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive