HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:13 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

If it's relevant, the aspects you mentioned are what shape up-and-coming skylines like Austin and booming ones like Miami, Philly and, to a lesser extent, Frisco, LA, Chcago and even Detroit(!).

That and sundry economic factors.

Now let's start peelng off that blue protective stuff and see what the renders have only given us an artificial glimpse of.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:47 AM

^Philly's booming? I don't know. It is my hometown and I love it, but we've only got 2 buildings over 500 feet under construction right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
That's going to look amazing, looking down the street at the tower once it's completed. 220 Central Park South does look really good in that position now.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
^Philly's booming? I don't know. It is my hometown and I love it, but we've only got 2 buildings over 500 feet under construction right now.
Research Schuylkill Yards and Philly District 30

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 9:24 PM
Architectural Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
I don't understand selling these units with pre-installed, pre-selected interiors ... for the prices they are charging the people buying them should be able to afford to have all the interior decorating done by contractors of their choosing. It would also reduce the cost of building the towers in the first place.
When we toured both One57 and 432 Park, the upper most floors were going to be delivered as blank slates for the price indicated. It is up to the buyer to find an architect, designer and all related professionals to make your unit as you want it.
The lower floors will all be finished according to their brochures with substantial upgrades made available for a pocket full of coin.
Most new developments will offer you that option if you want to do your own thing....with each building having their own set of rules and policies.
I see both positive and negative points with these options. On the positive you don't have to do a thing but sign the contract. BUT with your signature comes additional fees to finish as indicated.
On the negative, I feel when you are spending $125 mil for a top floor penthouse, NOTHING should carry an extra fee. It appears the builders and developers believe once they have you, they can take your bank account and then the fun (for them) begins.
Our highline fronting unit came fully built out as indicated in their plans but we asked if we were able to make some common sense changes and they agreed. The extra work was equal to what they charged us so it was not a big deal. I tell you, placement of doors and storage cabinets makes a huge difference....and having his and his master bathrooms would have turned out to be wasted space. We took that space and added a significant amount of room for a sitting/media area.
I cannot begin to imagine the excitement/anticipation/frustration of buying and owning one of the penthouses in any of these super talls! Having a year or two of waiting after your purchase would make me go nuts waiting....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:39 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Makes sense.

A skyline view, pre CP tower taking its place as tallest in Midtown....at this point it's just another skyscraper in Manhattan.

Paul Jarvie

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Research Schuylkill Yards and Philly District 30
I know quite a bit about them, and I don't see skyscrapers coming up for the next few years, unless we somehow win Amazon. (Not out of the realm of possibility, but not likely)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, does anyone else think the lack of a spire or antenna here is going to throw the skyline off a bit? Maybe it's just because so many of NYC's tallest (1WTC, ESB, One Vanderbilt, even Chrysler) have spires, and it seems strange that Midtown's tallest would just have a flat roof like that.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Anyway, does anyone else think the lack of a spire or antenna here is going to throw the skyline off a bit? Maybe it's just because so many of NYC's tallest (1WTC, ESB, One Vanderbilt, even Chrysler) have spires, and it seems strange that Midtown's tallest would just have a flat roof like that.

I've been saying that for a while. Though the tower could have been designed to better accommodate a spire, the skyline of New York should always be crowned by a spire. It's the classic skyline. No one draws a flat-topped skyline.

http://ricastudio.com/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:06 AM

I noticed the cpt with its spire sharply domine the skyline

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 12:35 PM

These buildings are already "spire-thin" to begin with.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:07 PM

I’m probably in the minority at this point but I think CPT will look pretty good without the spire. I feel like it will have a pretty distinct, prominent crown with those vertical slit thingies (fins? louvers?) above that last setback at the penthouse level. I think to add a spire back on would feel kind of tacked-on and wouldn’t really integrate well with the building unless the design were altered. It’s also such a slender building that I think the whole “flat roof” debate is sort of rendered moot.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
These buildings are already "spire-thin" to begin with.
It's not a matter if being "thin", it's the exclamation point on the dramatic skyline. 432 Park Avenue is certainly thin, but it's the most boring way to crown this magnificent skyline. Put anything on top, and it's a different tower. The Steinway Tower will be thin, but it is a spire unto itself as it tapers and "feathers" into nothing.

This building is fine as it is for lesser skylines, but NY deserves and demands dramatic icons. It's why all the great towers that crowned our skyline over the years didn't simply rise into the sky and quit. It's why people are still bitchin about the removal of 3 WTC's spires, even though it sits in the shadow of the most dominant spire of them all. The original Twins were forgiven (mostly) because they served as counters to each other. Just one of those towers alone however, would have been a different matter.

Barnett said early on there would be no spire, and an earlier version of this tower didn't have one, but it did have that tapered peak that separates the taller, distinguished towers from the mass of boxes that make up the vast majority of the skyline.

I don't expect we will get a spire here, but it certainly needs one.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:22 PM

nice.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 9:56 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'm abstaining here.

Valid points on both sides abound; plus (until we see our first render of 80 South and whether they go spire or not) a spire here would make it a bookend with 1WTC, with ESB in the middle.

IMHO, the spire/no spire thing might just be resolved at the last minute to our surprise. Haven't we been thrown interesting curveballs before?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 1:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
IMHO, the spire/no spire thing might just be resolved at the last minute to our surprise. Haven't we been thrown interesting curveballs before?
You can never figure Barnett out. I'm guessing we're not likely to get a spire, but it wouldn't shock me if we did. That being said, I do expect the building to look ok, with a nice facade. The facade is what will make this one, but it's not something that's important on the skyline.

https://twitter.com/nycdailypics

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:01 AM
New Yorker for life

JANUARY 16, 2018

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: rbrome

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:21 PM

I'm sort of amazed at how fast this thing is finally going up.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I'm sort of amazed at how fast this thing is finally going up.
Yes, before long it will be passing 220 Central Park South. Then people will really start to notice it's not just another NY tower going up.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
JANUARY 16, 2018

[b]1.
What street is that taken from? Is that Broadway? I'm hoping to be up in New York next Saturday, and I'd like to see that angle for myself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive