HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 1:01 AM
More Varieties to Come

I live blocks from that hotel. It's the Penn Lincoln hotel and it's about time they did something about it. It's a beautiful old building in dire need of some loving.

And leave my ghetto alone.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 1:21 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
I always forget about Wilkinsburg's little 'downtown'. Too bad it is a ghetto. If revilatized, it could be a great little urban village of sorts with compact development close to a bigger city. But, then, it is a ghetto, so, I guess not.
Wilkinsburg has an awesome built environment and a great East End location. It could've been a Mt. Lebanon type of place.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 2:21 AM

"Ghetto" may be a little strong for the commercial area in Wilkinsburg, which in fact is not necessarily in much different shape from East Liberty not too long ago.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 2:46 AM
Ex Houstonian

It's pretty ghetto, no denying that. If wilkensburghs downtown ain't ghetto than I don't know what is.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 2:48 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Wilkinsburg has an awesome built environment and a great East End location. It could've been a Mt. Lebanon type of place.
It does. I wonder if anyone could put together a master plan for a revitalization district or something; anything to make this into a more desirable neighborhood.

Perhaps as soon as they're able to bring back Homewood and get that neighborhood back on its feet. I know there's a master plan in place for Homewood. Maybe reps of both Homewood and Wilkinsburg could collaborate on a joint effort to revitalize their "downtowns..."

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 12:15 PM

http://triblive.com/aande/moreaande/...#axzz2WwiVHe83

With all of the positive East Liberty news out there here's a bit of bad news

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 3:27 PM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego43 View Post
You nailed it, Evergrey. Market Square is vastly improved over its former self, very European.
We had dinner in Market Square last night and the place was jumping. Tons of people out eating and drinking or just hanging out. It felt like I was living in a real city. Compared to how dead the plaza was a few years back before they leveled it out and encouraged the restaurants to open up their fronts to the street, I'd say that the renovations are a success.

Oh and there's horse and carriage rides, when did that start?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 4:48 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Scotty View Post
I'm fascinated by the North Side of the city as well, although I'll admit that I've rarely ventured any farther north than Allegheny Center. I really like the North Shore area, but that's obviously a lot more commercialized and vibrant than the neighborhoods that have the bad reputations.

I will say that I recently got lost in Perry North while looking for the Allegheny Observatory, and it was a little scary. I think I saw a drug deal or two go down right in the middle of the street just shortly after noon.
That's not good. I have been hesitant to venture up past Allegheny center as well. In the past I would do it anytime because I was so short sighted but now I am real cautious about that stuff.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 4:51 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Wow... Lot 24 looks awesome!

I applied for a city planning position with the City of Pittsburgh, and I reaally hope I get it! I would love to move back home! I feel such a tug to move back it's not even remotely funny...
I hope you do. Good luck!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
It's pretty ghetto, no denying that. If wilkensburghs downtown ain't ghetto than I don't know what is.
For future reference, it is "Wilkinsburg".

Anyway, the main commercial area still has a large number of active businesses, including a grocery store, drug store, bank branches, and so on. The local CDC has been doing a facade-improvement program, and there have been other related efforts including new street lights, signage, and so on. I might also note that while Wilkinsburg is majority-black, it has a large non-black minority (mostly white but also a bit Asian and Hispanic), and that is in evidence if you walk around the main area or visit the stores.

Anyway, I don't think much depends on whether you consider a commercial area like that "pretty ghetto" or not, but I think it was worth noting that while there are certainly many local neighborhood commercial areas in better shape, there are also a good number in considerably worse shape, and there are in fact some improvements in progress.

Last edited by BrianTH; Jun 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I wonder if anyone could put together a master plan for a revitalization district or something; anything to make this into a more desirable neighborhood.
Wilkinsburg has done a lot of planning lately, including (in 2010) a comprehensive Community Plan and a related Business District Revitalization Plan:

http://wilkinsburgpa.gov/pdf/WILKINS...inal_2010.pdf#
http://wilkinsburgpa.gov/pdf/FINALBu...trictPlan.pdf#

As I previously noted, the CDC has been heavily involved in improving the business district:

http://www.wilkinsburgcdc.org/programs-and-projects

Quote:
Perhaps as soon as they're able to bring back Homewood and get that neighborhood back on its feet.
I think it is fair to say that Wilkinsburg is actually considerably ahead of Homewood along the redevelopment track at this point. But certainly I think there is a sense in which all the East Busway-connected communities mutually benefit from development anywhere along it, and at some point it might make sense to do more coordinated planning and marketing.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 7:25 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Half-decent shots ( ) of the re-introduction of the point state fountain! HDR Photography by Dave DiCello https://www.facebook.com/DaveDiCelloPhotography

Wow, this dude is good. Like his facebook page and tell him he is skilled! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...inoverhaul.jpg

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 7:42 PM
Ex Houstonian

Manchester is going to be the next hot neighborhood, I was talking to a developer today whose doing work in Manchester and he thinks in 5 years it will be like larwencville. Lots of homes are being restored and new ones built in traditional styles are going up now.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 1:22 AM

I hope that pans out for Manchester. It has the most amazing houses. Those late 1800's townhomes have windows 12' tall - so awesome.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 1:42 AM

I was at Mad Mex last night and saw that the girders for the Highand Ave bridge are up.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 2:17 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
What are you talking about

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 2:49 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

[QUOTE=Austinlee;6174255]Half-decent shots ( ) of the re-introduction of the point state fountain! HDR Photography by Dave DiCello https://www.facebook.com/DaveDiCelloPhotography

Love the new LED lighting, new resurfacing, infinity water feature. The only non-improvement I believe are the peacock sprays. They seem very weak compared to before. Maybe less volume of water? Very transparent. But overall I am so glad it's back.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 6:03 AM

Article reviewing the recent boom in outside investors looking at Downtown properties:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-sites-692796/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
What are you talking about
The bridge they are rebuilding over the busway and train tracks on S Highland. It is progressing. They now have steal girders spanning the transit corridor.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 3:16 PM

Has there ever been any consideration with building another bridge into the city on the 1st Ave side of downtown across the Mon? I keep thinking that the under-utilized Wabash tunnels would really help alleviate at least some traffic issues in the other tunnels if it were connected right into downtown say around Stanwix St.

I guess since there isn't enough money to repair existing bridges let alone build new ones that's not something that's going to happen anytime soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations