HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:48 PM

^ Ha. Beat me to it!

Thanks to RW on SSC for posting this.

Say Hello to One57's Future Super Skinny 51-Story Neighbor
Monday, September 24, 2012, by Jessica Dailey

"Here's some news to spice up your Monday afternoon: Gary Barnett, the man behind One57, is developing another luxury skyscraper just down the block. Matt Chaban over at the Observer got his hands on some renderings of the new 51-story tower destined for 107 West 57th Street, and he's already aptly nicknamed it "The Shard." Cetra/Ruddy architects (archicritic Nicolai Ouroussoff is cursing somewhere) designed the super-skinny tower, which will reach 697 feet high on its 43-foot wide lot. The angular, swooping structure departs greatly from Cetra/Ruddy's other well-known skinny tower, the boxy One Madison Park.

Building permits show 28 units, with no more than one apartment per floor. There are 14 duplexes located on floors 20 to 46, and 13 full-floor units on floors 7 through 19. A quadraplex will occupy the top of the building, but the tippy-top 51st floor is reserved for "recreational space." Floors 1 to 3 will have 10,000-square-feet of retail, and the other floors will host amenities for residents. The rear of the building faces Central Park, and terraces jut from the building as it slopes upward.

JDS Properties purchased a majority stake in the currently empty site from Starwood Capital in May, and the permits for the 51-story tower were filed back in March. JDS declined to talk to NYO about the building, so who knows when it could come to fruition. But when it does, will we see yet another $95 million listing?"

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:40 PM

I am liking it pretty much, not 100% sure about the side facing the park but I guess we'll see. Amazing that a just under 700 footer will rise on such a tiny plot, should shoot up lightning speed once they actually get going with it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:40 PM

Like their building on Madison Square Park, Cetra Ruddy's tower is unworthy of its location.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:42 PM

Wow.57th St. is giving 42nd St. a run for its money.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:51 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:51 PM

I just saw the news on Curbed and came running here... I loved this design, it has a futuristic style and will look amazing view of central park. Very nice! Hopefully it will be built soon!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
Wow.57th St. is giving 42nd St. a run for its money.
I'd say that 57th street will overtake 42nd street when this, 432 Park, One57 and 225 W 57th are all done. 42nd street will get to return to the spotlight when somehting spectacular begins to rise there after the midtown rezoning goes through.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 12:00 AM
Metal Up Your !

Definitely loving these renders. My only gripe is the balconies. They seem to protrude too much for such a slim and skinny tower. Not a huge deal though, most of it is pretty much what I would hope for, from such a small lot.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 12:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post

This may be skinnier than 432 Park. Either way, let's hope the same principle applies to the Nordstrom tower down the block.

Quote:
Forget Park Avenue, forget Central Park West, forget Bond Street. Pretty soon, 57th Street is going to be the place to live in New York.

Already we have the uber-hyped One57, where billionaires buy condos pushing $100 million. The taller-than-1WTC 432 Park is just beginning to rise a few blocks away, with the recent revelations its penthouse will be asking $85 million. And at some point in time, Gary Barnett, the man responsible for One57, will begin work on another luxury tower on the corner of Broadway and 57th Street.

As if that were not enough, here comes a 51-story bolt of luxury to the heart of Manhattan.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I'd say that 57th street will overtake 42nd street when this, 432 Park, One57 and 225 W 57th are all done. 42nd street will get to return to the spotlight when somehting spectacular begins to rise there after the midtown rezoning goes through.
I actually don't think 42nd street comes any close to what 57th street will be by the end of the decade. I can only think of 2 towers on 42nd that make an impact on the skyline and are architecturally relevant, Chrysler and 1 Bryant Park ( u could count the UN building but that's not really on 42nd). 57th street however will have a more powerful impact on the skyline and the architecture is way more striking; One57, 432 Park, 225 west 57th, the Pyramid, Carnegie tower and the Metropolitan tower, and that's not even counting this tower and 250 east 57th which are still in the works. 42nd might be more popular but I think 57th will be unrivaled as far as its architecture and its impact on the skyline....unless they ever pass those zoning changes in midtown of course.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:14 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I'm liking the Central Park view more than the backside.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 9:28 AM
don't *meddle*...

Very nice, I like it. Slender is the new sexy, so it seems.
And man look at that last render with One57 owning everyone.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:35 AM
Everywhere all at once

I'm just dead. Just dead.

This reminds me of an overgrown adaptation of the Austrian Cultural Forum.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 5:02 AM

Stunning!! Would be nice if it were twice as tall of course...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 5:51 AM

I'm not sold on the black walls surrounding the facade though overall beautiful design, the Saya and 785 8th Ave come to mind. judging by the comparison to the Solow Building it looks to be in the 800 ft range.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 7:16 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Let's hope they opt for better quality glass panels than they used for the Saya/One Madison Park. The mismatched black glass panels and crappy spandrel glass on the clear glass spans of the Saya almost ruin the tower, but it's saved by it's relatively simple massing. This tower won't have that saving grace as it's massing is all over the place, and the different colored windows on the east face could end up looking very cheap if the same quality of glass is used here.

So almost purely on quality of materials, this could be a stunning tower or an eyesore. I'm hoping Barnett opts for quality.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 9:23 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...RPnl3lIAT6gVSM

Chess game on W. 57th St.

By STEVE CUOZZO
October 16, 2012

Quote:
Two of Midtown’s greatest blocks, West 57th Street between Fifth and Seventh avenues, stand at the cusp of sweeping change. Between Fifth and Sixth avenues, Gary Barnett’s Extell, Sheldon Solow and Vornado are playing an intricate chess game of strategic acquisition with an eye on major new development.

One block west, Extell’s mighty One57 is rising. Three major new hotels are under construction, including the arresting Roman & Williams-designed Willow and the Park Hyatt inside One57 itself. In addition, a 55-story, “shard”-shaped luxury condo tower is planned at 107 W. 57th, now an empty pit.

It’s in the context of imminent dramatic renewal on all sides that the owners of 57 W. 57th St., at the northeast corner of Sixth and 57th, have been gradually upgrading and repositioning the once dowdy 170,000-square-foot prewar building. Next year, when Fourth Wall Restaurants opens its 200-seat steakhouse, Quality Italian, there, it will mark a watershed for the property owned by the family of Colliers International Tri-State President Michael T. Cohen. They’ve gradually repositioned the former Medical Arts Building — a small hospital that long hid in plain sight — for modern office and retail use.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 1:30 PM

I wonder when this one will actually get going on this one? It seems like all the permits are in place, must just be a matter of financing.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 3:34 PM

Do we know who the architect behind this tower is?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 2:30 PM
New Yorker for life

A list of all the 57th Street projects...

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...n_progress.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive