HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 5:53 PM
BANNED

I like the design, but it would be better with another 200 feet on it.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 6:53 PM

^^^
True this compliments One 57 and is a good addition.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:13 AM
New Yorker for life

An extra 200 ft would probably be a stretch for this design, in both meanings of the word...

www.curbed.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 10:03 AM

It's fine the way it is in my opinion. Not every new building needs to be a supertall. I'm just hoping they get the materials right.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 9:24 PM
New Yorker for life

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6346

Tapering Heights
Another tall, skinny residential tower to pierce the sky in Midtown Manhattan.

Aaron Seward

Quote:
The currently empty lot at 107 West 57th Street will soon be home to one of the city’s narrowest tall buildings. Slated for completion in 2014, a mixed-use tower will rise 688 feet in the air from the modest 43-foot-wide by 100-foot-deep site. Developed by JDS Development Group and designed by local architecture firm Cetra Ruddy, the 51-story residential high rise with retail on the first four floors will fit into Midtown’s zoning envelope, its south face stepping and tapering back from the street as it ascends. The firm also designed One Madison Park, the slim tower of stacked cubes on 23rd Street.

“We wanted to create something that would carry its own weight among the Midtown towers, of which there are many,” said John Cetra, a founding partner of Cetra Rudy. In addition to the building’s slender, shard-like character, the architects have given it an active skin treatment that will catch eyes whether up close or from a distance. While the north and south facades will feature floor-to-ceiling transparent glass curtain walls, the lot-line walls, which contain the tower’s reinforced concrete structure, will be clad with dark grey stainless steel panels. The panels are rippled and perforated with a semi-random pattern of holes, which, at night, will reveal a kinetic display of light from thousands of concealed LEDs. “We’re not just exposing a wall of concrete,” continued Cetra. “It’s going to have quite a personality in and of itself. Whatever direction you see it from, it will sparkle with light.”

Containing a total of 105,000 square feet, 107 West 57th Street will have no more than one apartment per floor, including 13 full-floor units, 14 duplexes, and a four-story penthouse. Two elevators housed in a core of concrete shear walls will provide vertical circulation. A tuned-mass damper in the upper mechanical floors will help to reduce building sway and provide a stable environment for residents.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 9:46 PM

FINALLY! A New York highrise with some LED lighting incorporated into the design!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 8:34 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Love the design. Not only is it tall, it'll look tall too.

/the old building at the corner would have a pretty big presence on my town's skyline.
//and that's in a city with over a hundred subway stations.
///4-story penthouse? another $100M penthouse?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 11:49 PM

Any speculation when this tower will get started? I think this building will make quite a mark on the Central Park South skyline.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 5:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
///4-story penthouse? another $100M penthouse?
Yeah, the "billionaire's row" becoming more exclusive...

Eventually, 57th Street will be paved with Gold.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Richest zip code in a few years time.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 5:28 PM

when are they thinking of construction for this one. really looking forward to it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:

How about widening the sidewalks and planting small trees in rows, making it look like a real exclusive high-end street? Perhaps they could tax the residents to pay for it, I"m sure they could pony up for it

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
How about widening the sidewalks and planting small trees in rows, making it look like a real exclusive high-end street? Perhaps they could tax the residents to pay for it, I"m sure they could pony up for it
hahahaha i love that idea

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I actually think this is a great idea. Perhaps they could pedestrianize Broadway all the way to Columbus Circle to pay for it? They could sell the 'air rights' from the portions of Broadway that are made into how it is down around Times Square, and major streets--especially 57th--could be given much more fitting pedestrian amenities. I can't imagine re-designing the street between Columbus &... 3rd Avenue would be too expensive.

As Midtown continues to get denser, especially with the re-zoning imminent, the focus is going to have to really shift totally away from vehicles. Sidewalks in much of Midtown are crammed as-is, and it's time to start planning while we can. If we can't tax the B&T auto commuters, then we might as well make it as difficult as possible for non-taxi/bus/freight services to use Midtown.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 9:35 AM

I think this will be another classic.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
I think this will be another classic.
Agreed. The wait for construction to start is painstaking!!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
I actually think this is a great idea. Perhaps they could pedestrianize Broadway all the way to Columbus Circle to pay for it?
I don't really care for that. There can and probably will be pedestrian improvements, but the closing of Broadway hasn't been one of my favorite things, its so un-New York. I'm not an advocate of driving into Manhattan, but one of the things about city life is the streets are filled with people, and yes automobiles. It's part of the urban fabric, the mix that gives the city its flavor and atmosphere. 57th Street, at least on the west side, was once a very touristy destination, but is now becoming a new "Park Avenue" in its own right with these new developments.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:49 AM

I'm not fully understanding what all of those notches or panels are on the dark portions of the facade facing the avenues (I'm not talking about the balconies facing Central Park). To me it looks like color variations similar to those on One57's sides. Someone mentioned something about LED lights. I don't know.

Quote:
its so un-New York. I'm not an advocate of driving into Manhattan, but one of the things about city life is the streets are filled with people, and yes automobiles. It's part of the urban fabric, the mix that gives the city its flavor and atmosphere.
-
It would also cause severe traffic problems. It's one thing to pedestrianize part of Times Square, but to go much further would be shoving it down people's throats. I know urban planners (particularly the more academic kind) love bicycles, foot traffic, and public transportation, but there will always be a sizable portion of the public who want to live in the suburbs and drive in to the city, traffic be damned. Personally, I love driving all around the city so long as it's nights or weekends.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
I'm not fully understanding what all of those notches or panels are on the dark portions of the facade facing the avenues (I'm not talking about the balconies facing Central Park). To me it looks like color variations similar to those on One57's sides. Someone mentioned something about LED lights. I don't know.

-
It would also cause severe traffic problems. It's one thing to pedestrianize part of Times Square, but to go much further would be shoving it down people's throats. I know urban planners (particularly the more academic kind) love bicycles, foot traffic, and public transportation, but there will always be a sizable portion of the public who want to live in the suburbs and drive in to the city, traffic be damned. Personally, I love driving all around the city so long as it's nights or weekends.
Most european cities have pedestrianized their cores and it is pleasant to enjoy them. I think the average person would enjoy it in NY if they had more car-free areas and I doubt most people would consider it "shoving it down their throats" once they have experienced it. Face it, people are resistant to change and they fear it.. however, they often don't know what they are missing. Having a few more pedestrian zones is not going to prevent the car people from accessing the city or destroy the big NY city feel, come on now! Large European and some Asian cities are very bustling and they strike a good balance between car and pedestrian. NY is need to be a bit more progressive and open to new ideas IMO. I suppose the die hard natives might resist change, but without change, NY will be eclipsed by more innovative cities in the future..

P

Last edited by aquablue; Dec 17, 2012 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Most european cities have pedestrianized their cores and it is pleasant to enjoy them. I think the average person would enjoy it in NY if they had more car-free areas and I doubt most people would consider it "shoving it down their throats" once they have experienced it. Face it, people are resistant to change and they fear it.. however, they often don't know what they are missing. Having a few more pedestrian zones is not going to prevent the car people from accessing the city or destroy the big NY city feel, come on now! Large European and some Asian cities are very bustling and they strike a good balance between car and pedestrian. NY is need to be a bit more progressive and open to new ideas IMO. I suppose the die hard natives might resist change, but without change, NY will be eclipsed by more innovative cities in the future..
-
Closing off that much of Broadway would be a traffic nightmare, period. And this isn't Europe, you can't always drag people toward whatever is deemed at the moment to be "progressive". I think you are mistaken if you think suburbanites who work or party in Manhattan won't be seriously turned-off by this idea. I love every moment of being in my car, and I generally dislike public transportation.

This is insanely off-topic, so please PM me to respond.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Dec 17, 2012 at 8:01 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive