Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Ironically this building has been designed by the same architectural firm that designed Two World Trade Center - Lord Norman Foster.
I think a lot of folks here were looking for the same type of "impression" that #2 WTC puts out, with that sloping glass roof. I agree with many here, that the top of the building lacks something, like a spire that's not so square, and just a little taller, with maybe another setback. That could take the architects, months to re-design, and it sounds like Comcast needs the space quickly.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:04 PM

No McDonald's here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'd go in and just order just a small appetizer, and pay the bill just for the view.
I think with the prices on the menu at the restaurant, (on my budget), I would just ask for a glass of water!
(I am sure it's going to be at least a 4-5 star restaurant, that's a given) Which reminds me, did anyone ask about a observation deck? (Maybe I missed it) I thought since the restaurant seems to be the highlighted place for the best view.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I think with the prices on the menu at the restaurant, (on my budget), I would just ask for a glass of water!
(I am sure it's going to be at least a 4-5 star restaurant, that's a given) Which reminds me, did anyone ask about a observation deck? (Maybe I missed it) I thought since the restaurant seems to be the highlighted place for the best view.
No observation deck as the lobby to the hotel is open to the public.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Lol. I dare you to ask for a glass of water............at least you'll be able to enjoy the elevator on the way down

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
No observation deck as the lobby to the hotel is open to the public.
Thanks Jelly Roll. I guess that makes sense. The lobby should be high enough that the views will still be pretty cool.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:24 PM
She needs her space

Loving this. I think it looks like it belongs in London more than it does most or all American cities, however, the building by itself is a winner. Love Foster + Partners and I am so happy for Philadelphia.

I just hope Transbay out here in SF gets going quickly, soon! So we can have a moment of glory, at least.

The video rendering was spectacular - the local groups out here are doing these types of video renderings for all the towers out here and they do wonders for people's expectations. I sincerely hope that the end product is as good as the promotional video that Foster just put out for it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
Lol. I dare you to ask for a glass of water............at least you'll be able to enjoy the elevator on the way down
Indeed!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of folks here were looking for the same type of "impression" that #2 WTC puts out, with that sloping glass roof. I agree with many here, that the top of the building lacks something, like a spire that's not so square, and just a little taller, with maybe another setback. That could take the architects, months to re-design, and it sounds like Comcast needs the space quickly.
Well they want it approved quick. I read that they want to break ground later this year, and want it finished by 2017. I also read they want to extend the nearby subway concourse under this building, and have retail on the base of the building. Of course there has to be parking nearby, and the restaurant at the top is opened to the public. The Four Seasons Hotel Lobby will also be up where the restaurant is. Otherwise it's an office building since the hotel will be at the top just below the restaurant.
Also Wikipedia has an article on the project.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcas...hnology_Center

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:28 PM

After comcast establishes philly as a tech center, I wonder which major tech company is going to be the next to open office in philly.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:42 PM

Should this thread be included on the Supertall Construction forum? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=323

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Should this thread be included on the Supertall Construction forum? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=323
That would be for once construction starts.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 11:00 PM

Yeah typically when they start putting in forms in the ground this will be moved.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Well they want it approved quick. I read that they want to break ground later this year, and want it finished by 2017. I also read they want to extend the nearby subway concourse under this building, and have retail on the base of the building. Of course there has to be parking nearby, and the restaurant at the top is opened to the public. The Four Seasons Hotel Lobby will also be up where the restaurant is. Otherwise it's an office building since the hotel will be at the top just below the restaurant.
Also Wikipedia has an article on the project.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcas...hnology_Center
Thanks Roadcruiser1, I checked out Wikipedia, they don't waste any time, do they? They already have Comcast CTIC listed #1 in The Tallest Skyscrapers in Philadelphia.(Of course it says approved) Hey, maybe Wikipedia, or Google needs to rent more office space? You think?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 1:49 AM
Posh

I like the glass elevators!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 2:05 AM
Philly Rising Up!

4000 employees in its Supertall. I'm wondering if Comcast consolidated its other building plans by maximizing the square footage of this building for its usage. Without the hotel on the top floors, it wouldn't be a supertall.

Anyone have insight into this?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 2:23 AM

once again someone do a diagram....

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
4000 employees in its Supertall. I'm wondering if Comcast consolidated its other building plans by maximizing the square footage of this building for its usage. Without the hotel on the top floors, it wouldn't be a supertall.

Anyone have insight into this?
I read that Comcast has outgrown it's old building. The current Comcast Center is 90% leased by Comcast, but 10% is leased to other companies that have no plans to give it up. Therefore Comcast needs a new building. They plan on occupying anywhere between 40% to 50% of the new building. The other office space that won't be owned by Comcast would be leased out. The hotel, restaurant, retail spaces, parking areas, subway station, and a laboratory will take up the rest of the spaces in the building.........

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:34 AM

Quote:
I read that Comcast has outgrown it's old building. The current Comcast Center is 90% leased by Comcast, but 10% is leased to other companies that have no plans to give it up. Therefore Comcast needs a new building. They plan on occupying anywhere between 40% to 50% of the new building. The other office space that won't be owned by Comcast would be leased out. The hotel, restaurant, retail spaces, parking areas, subway station, and a laboratory will take up the rest of the spaces in the building.........
They have already committed to 75% of the office space and have an option to take all of it per the press releases.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
They have already committed to 75% of the office space and have an option to take all of it per the press releases.
Really? Interesting update!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:00 AM
BANNED

Forum member Late 1 did a nice photo-shop adding a second setback and 100' or so.

Late1 brainstorm - 2nd Setback

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture