HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:05 AM

Wow, I like it. Breaks up what would otherwise be a midwest-style rectangular regularity in that neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Hate to sound like a broken record, but the reason Atlanta isn't getting taller buildings is because most development is happening in Midtown where zoning makes it impractical to build anything over 30-40 stories. The maximum square footage allowed is about 10x the land area. We should get some taller projects when Downtown makes a comeback. The maximum square footage there is more like 30-40x the land area.
Wasn't Midtown about to get a 900' tall tower in No. 2 Opus before the hotel portion was scrapped?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
this is listed on the national register of historic places... does that not mean anything at all? they should force the developer to relocate the house, like they did with the mansion on peachtree in buckhead. we are getting so eager for new development we're letting midtown's historic properties get mowed down left and right

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:38 AM
BANNED

Porsche North American HQ and Solis Hotel

https://twitter.com/Solis2PorscheDr/...52702865244160

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Wasn't Midtown about to get a 900' tall tower in No. 2 Opus before the hotel portion was scrapped?
There are various ways to increase it incrementally, and you can also buy development rights from other parcels.

The fact remains, midtown's development is kept artificially constrained by height restrictions, which IMO serve no purpose whatsoever.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJK View Post
I seem to recall from the AIA book 25 years ago that the shift in grid was in response to the First Church of Christ Scientist's positioning on Peachtree. The Memorial Arts Center, built in the 60's and then Colony Square in the 70's all respected the vista and prominence of the church. Later buildings followed suit including the Boys and Girls Club building just north which actually utilized a chamfered corner so as not to block the church and the Norfolk Southern building.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Archite.../dp/0820314501
Thanks! I'll have to check out that book.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 12:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
There are various ways to increase it incrementally, and you can also buy development rights from other parcels.

The fact remains, midtown's development is kept artificially constrained by height restrictions, which IMO serve no purpose whatsoever.
I am curious if you have any data to support your opinion. I always thought Midtown's tower heights are more a function of availability of sites, price of land and incremental cost of building higher.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I am curious if you have any data to support your opinion. I always thought Midtown's tower heights are more a function of availability of sites, price of land and incremental cost of building higher.
They could be; I stop short of claiming height restrictions have much impact because I don't have the data to support that. But I see little point in the restrictions in the first place. They are meant to be a carrot in encouraging stuff like ground level retail, active and passive public space, etc. But even with all of that stuff you're still severly constrained with what you're allowed to do on a piece of land.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Porsche North American HQ and Solis Hotel

https://twitter.com/Solis2PorscheDr/...52702865244160

Every time I drive by this place I scratch my head. It is surrounded by so much ugly.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post
Every time I drive by this place I scratch my head. It is surrounded by so much ugly.
100% agree this area is remarkably ugly and yet has attracted the HQ for one of the top luxury car brands and a 5 Star Hotel. Blows my mind....

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:45 PM

Quote:
They could be; I stop short of claiming height restrictions have much impact because I don't have the data to support that. But I see little point in the restrictions in the first place. They are meant to be a carrot in encouraging stuff like ground level retail, active and passive public space, etc. But even with all of that stuff you're still severly constrained with what you're allowed to do on a piece of land.
The zoning for SPI-16 in Midtown on specifies height restrictions in regards to transitional height planes for parcels that abut smaller-density residential areas. the Sub-areas 3 and 4 as you reach toward the Piedmont Ave corridor have general height restrictions scaling down to the lower-density areas.

This is highly indicative along the east side of Juniper where the Broadstone Midtown (formerly Broadstone Terraces), 905 Juniper, and the Dakota have steps in their buildings as the developments reach toward Piedmont.

There isn't a blanket height limit in Midtown so to speak in the Midtown proper (subarea 1).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
The zoning for SPI-16 in Midtown on specifies height restrictions in regards to transitional height planes for parcels that abut smaller-density residential areas. the Sub-areas 3 and 4 as you reach toward the Piedmont Ave corridor have general height restrictions scaling down to the lower-density areas.

This is highly indicative along the east side of Juniper where the Broadstone Midtown (formerly Broadstone Terraces), 905 Juniper, and the Dakota have steps in their buildings as the developments reach toward Piedmont.

There isn't a blanket height limit in Midtown so to speak in the Midtown proper (subarea 1).
I'm not super well-versed in the lingo here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but on Page 24 you can see the maximum floor area ratio is 10.2. So a maximum height is not dictated, but you need to assemble a larger and larger piece of land to build a tall building, and use only a portion of the lot.

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...lines_rdcd.pdf

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:21 PM

Mis-match

Quote:
100% agree this area is remarkably ugly and yet has attracted the HQ for one of the top luxury car brands and a 5 Star Hotel. Blows my mind....
Yes, I have always thought this was a mismatch.
It structures would have at least been better off being nestled in the wooded area in the background of the picture – more secluded.
Oh how it’s always nice to pay a premium for an upscale hotel like the Solis and then look out your room window to see fast food joints and warehouses. At least one side has the view of the track.
Well, I know the deal was very incentivized.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:50 PM

IMO, midtown alliance needs to revisit its FAR policies. They setup a good original blueprint, but times are changing and Midtown should certainly be taking a larger role in the long term longevity and density of Atlanta by promoting better use of land to provide access for more people and businesses. With midtown’s proximity to transit and public parks, we should absolutely be maximizing our return in this area without undercutting walkability.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:54 PM

SAP filed for development at 521 Capitol Ave - part of the GSU redevelopment of the former Turner Field area. Greater than 250,000sqft development.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
IMO, midtown alliance needs to revisit its FAR policies. They setup a good original blueprint, but times are changing and Midtown should certainly be taking a larger role in the long term longevity and density of Atlanta by promoting better use of land to provide access for more people and businesses. With midtown’s proximity to transit and public parks, we should absolutely be maximizing our return in this area without undercutting walkability.
Coincidentally, an updated SPI 16 (Midtown) zoning code was recently passed by the City, effective the beginning of October. Here is a link:
https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...-with-maps.pdf

And here is a summary:
https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...ments-0905.pdf

There are still no height restrictions (with the exception of the transition zone towards Piedmont). The primary restraint remains FAR maximums. However, the categories of FAR bonuses has been greatly expanded to incentivize the types of things you mention.

Examples:
  • Bonus for constructing less than 50% of the maximum allowable parking
    Bonus for adding new streets, pedestrian paths, or alleys
    Bonus for public parking decks
    Bonus for buried parking
    Elimination of FAR cap for affordable housing
    Bonus for public parks and art space
    Bonus for green building
    Adaptive reuse does not count against FAR

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:31 PM

Also the townhome boom continues. Building permits filed this week for a few different townhome developments:
985 Memorial Dr SE ("Heritage on Memorial", 20 units)
228 Peachtree Hills Dr NE
2636 Shady Valley Dr NE ("Stonehill at Lenox", 38 units)
1612 Hardee St NE
2170 Old Georgian Terrace ("The Park at Vinings")

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not super well-versed in the lingo here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but on Page 24 you can see the maximum floor area ratio is 10.2. So a maximum height is not dictated, but you need to assemble a larger and larger piece of land to build a tall building, and use only a portion of the lot.

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...lines_rdcd.pdf
You can also gain FAR bonuses through other measures.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Coincidentally, an updated SPI 16 (Midtown) zoning code was recently passed by the City, effective the beginning of October. Here is a link:
https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...-with-maps.pdf

And here is a summary:
https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...ments-0905.pdf

There are still no height restrictions (with the exception of the transition zone towards Piedmont). The primary restraint remains FAR maximums. However, the categories of FAR bonuses has been greatly expanded to incentivize the types of things you mention.

Examples:
  • Bonus for constructing less than 50% of the maximum allowable parking
    Bonus for adding new streets, pedestrian paths, or alleys
    Bonus for public parking decks
    Bonus for buried parking
    Elimination of FAR cap for affordable housing
    Bonus for public parks and art space
    Bonus for green building
    Adaptive reuse does not count against FAR
This is a really insightful share, thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:01 PM

Jacoby, Aquarium In Talks For Downtown Marine Research Tower

"One Ocean Place"

Quote:
The developer of one of the largest mixed-use projects in Atlanta's history could next be building a tower to study aquatic life in Downtown Atlanta.
https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...ch-tower-80864

http://jacobydevelopment.com/oop.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations