HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 11:21 PM

Maybe they can change it to 5505 Fauxland St.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 8:09 PM

I was by this one today and they have clad the front curve part of the facade and wow! You guys thought this building was bad before......your gonna hate it even more! They put on the arts and crafts type of panelling that you can see on that other really crappy building up near the hydrostone. I'll take some pics maybe next week. I'm super busy this week.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was by this one today and they have clad the front curve part of the facade and wow! You guys thought this building was bad before......your gonna hate it even more! They put on the arts and crafts type of panelling that you can see on that other really crappy building up near the hydrostone. I'll take some pics maybe next week. I'm super busy this week.
I'll be in the area tomorrow so I'll probably get some pics.

BTW do you mean the building next to 5552 Kaye or Hydrostone Place?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 1:05 AM
we built this city

This building is shit, I can't believe after installing that red siding and then the fake stone they also included board and batten. It makes no sense and using one of the 3 materials would have been better than this monster.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 1:56 PM

I feel sorry for the architect of this building......if there even was one.....

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 2:58 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
This building is shit, I can't believe after installing that red siding and then the fake stone they also included board and batten. It makes no sense and using one of the 3 materials would have been better than this monster.
When is HRM planning going to have enough clout to prevent this type of eyesore.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 10:31 PM

Do we know which architecture firm to blame for this? Just for future reference...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 12:06 PM

Is the architect the culprit? At least in the original renderings (see the first posts) the exterior was a "consistent", albeit uninspiring color. Now it's a strange mixture. Three Moe's involved? JET

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 12:18 PM

Fake stone is the new Vinyl Siding. It must be banned. The Architect of this disaster should be relegated to working on KFC's and Suburban pool houses and sheds. Don't hire this company... whoever they are. This building is the architectural equivalent of a cut and paste ransom note. It's bad enough to use fake stone... but to then combine it with wood siding and board and batten?!?! WTF!

p.s. Yes... I recall the building looking half decent in the 3d renderings. What happened?!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 8:25 PM

Yesterday (photos by me);

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Fake stone is the new Vinyl Siding. It must be banned. The Architect of this disaster should be relegated to working on KFC's and Suburban pool houses and sheds. Don't hire this company... whoever they are. This building is the architectural equivalent of a cut and paste ransom note. It's bad enough to use fake stone... but to then combine it with wood siding and board and batten?!?! WTF!
On the smallest of bright sides at least the finishes are some of the least permanent parts of a building. Maybe in twenty years when this thing is due for renovations things will improve a little. Until then just another sack of shit building built in Halifax in the last ten years.

EDIT: What's the plan for street level? Because right now it looks like concrete pillars, concrete blocks and a wierd overhang are the plan. If that is the case, how hard is it to get basic urbanism right?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:07 PM

OPEN HOUSE,, Sunday 1-4 JET

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 6:53 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
On the smallest of bright sides at least the finishes are some of the least permanent parts of a building. Maybe in twenty years when this thing is due for renovations things will improve a little. Until then just another sack of shit building built in Halifax in the last ten years.

EDIT: What's the plan for street level? Because right now it looks like concrete pillars, concrete blocks and a wierd overhang are the plan. If that is the case, how hard is it to get basic urbanism right?
Lol, I have future hopes for alot of buildings in Halifax in terms of their exteriors... The form of this building is good, but i wish they went with the red material everywhere.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:52 PM

This is now visible peaking above the trees and buildings when viewed from the MacDonald Bridge.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:10 PM

Speaking of views from the bridge; what is large and wrapped in plastic accross the street from Spice? Something at the dockyards? JET

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 12:02 AM

Is it at the dockyard? Probably the Synchrolift.
Unless you're talking about something different.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Is it at the dockyard? Probably the Synchrolift.
Unless you're talking about something different.
Driving down Ochterloney it appears to be directly accross from Spice, but It's too far away to locate it precisely. Almost as tall as spice, but narrow and wrapped in plastic. Shuttle launch maybe? JET

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 1:03 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Speaking of views from the bridge; what is large and wrapped in plastic accross the street from Spice? Something at the dockyards? JET
If it is what I think you are meaning, that is the sub that had the fire a few years back. It is basically mothballed and in semi-permanent dry-dock right now (hence the wrapping).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
If it is what I think you are meaning, that is the sub that had the fire a few years back. It is basically mothballed and in semi-permanent dry-dock right now (hence the wrapping).
The Chicoutimi left port in the early spring on the back of a semi submersible transport ship headed for BC. The thing that is wrapped is one of the dock cranes.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 2:29 PM

No, its one of the cranes. Although the wrapping came off this week and the scaffolding is on its way down. I think they were giving it a new paint job. It was wrapped for the better part of the month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth